Philips HP550 review
Oct 30, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

. When listening to the cymbals, I noticed that they most definetely did not sound "right." Unlike the strings, which were wonderfully smooth, or the trumpet, which came off in a very true-to-life manner, the cymbals seemed "sandy." Really! As if the sound had been broken apart and put back together, and was missing a few pieces. Just little specks mssing, but enough to make the cymbals "grainy." The HD-495s had a good treble all the way until they got to cymbals - sounds above that level sounded grainy. Still enjoyable, but not completely natural.

Braver: That vij......what a literary genius, if I do say so myself
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #48 of 86
I don't know what you guys think of these headphones, but I feel like I'm listening to the music through cups. I'm not sure if I am describing it right. The vocals sound a little bit hollow. Also, when someone sings anything with a sharp "s" it is a little bit piercing. Maybe I'm hearing it all wrong. The bass seems nice and full, but I'm not sure if it is exactly tight. Compared to my 6 year old sr60s, the hp550 does not seem as crisp or detailed. I don't really compare headphones that much, so I would hardly consider myself an expert. I just tried to point out what seemed to pop out in my ears. Maybe one of you experts can help. When I first heard the ksc-50s, I was impressed. That was not how I felt when tried the hp550s. Do these phones need to burn in more?

While we're at it. What does warm sounding mean?

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:09 AM Post #49 of 86
tvhead, maybe it's because you're used to listening to very open-air headphones, the kind that delivers absolutely no isolation at all, and leak lots of sound to the outside...
wink.gif

And the "listening through cups" characteristic of the HP550's is very typical of even "average" closed headphones - and is also characteristic of many "good" closed headphones, as well.

My judgment of those HP550's is that I like them more than even my Koss UR-30's - but keep in mind that these deliver strictly "mid-fi" sound, not "audiophile" sound like my Grado SR-60's (well, the SR-60's are at the low end of the "audiophile" sound range, IMHO).

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #50 of 86
I like the Philips HP550's.

They're nice.

Dad bought them--but here's the thing, I hadn't even MENTIONED them to him!!

Yay!!

*runs off to compare his KSC-35's and the HP550's*

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #51 of 86
I know what Blr says, but I'm not really sure if these are fully closed, because I swear I can hear music coming out of those vents. They leak a ton of sound, not as much as the sr60s, but more than normal sealed phones I think. Also, I don't think I got the cup sounding effect from my V6s. But then again, it's been so long since I've listened to them. I can't seem to remember where I put them. Oh who knows... I'll probably send these to my sister.. I can't expect $25 headphones to sound like something that is 3 times the price.

Oct 30, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #53 of 86
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Hmm, does this review remind anybody of what everybody was hoping for w/ MacDEF's Labtec 840 review?

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the review! I was like "Ha, how do you like that Labtecs?" And blu is someone well known here that we can trust. Well I won't actually be buying them, coz I have my Grados and if I have to get new phones I'll get something better, but if I see them in my local shop I'd audition them for sure!
biggrin.gif

BTW, wab your avatar is really freakin me out
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 6:59 AM Post #55 of 86
Well id have to agree with gluegun, the ksc35 are still the budget headphone to beat. Ive been doing A/B comparison between them for about 2 days now and in my mind the koss are clearly superior.

Comfort... I have an extra large head (been buying motorcycle helmets for twenty years) and the 550s are only just able to fit (at full extension) which means that hard plastic on top is in contact with my head. Also too much side clamping pressure pour mois. Ears are 90% enclosed.

Sound... I only have a Pana sl-sx 410 to drive them. Bass can be a little "woolly" and at times even boomy to my ears. Upper mids (though detailed) seem a little too pronounced and can be fatuige inducing. I do believe however, they would sound significantly better driven by an amp.

Overall... a good choice if youve got a noisy bus/train/plane ride,
but not for folks with xl heads.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 1:47 PM Post #57 of 86
I think you can look at the thread I started about KSC series/UR20/HP550... They had a few things to say about the UR20--mixed opinion...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 30, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #58 of 86
I know it is all a matter of taste, so there is no argument here at all, but for me they were better than PortaPro, which in turn are supposed to have the KSC35 drivers. HP550 made the Porta sounded bloated in comparisson. Although the Portas are open, they didn't have much larger soundstage either. The mids of the HP550 are more articulate and overall they're better resolved IMO. Once again, only my opinion.
I also believe they're fully closed. I compared them to Pro2 PH1000 which ARE closed and didn't find any significant difference in both sound leakage and isolation.

Oct 30, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #59 of 86
Quote:

but for me they were better than PortaPro, which in turn are supposed to have the KSC35 drivers. HP550 made the Porta sounded bloated in comparisson.

The KSC-35 and Portas use the same drivers, but they sound significantly different. The Portas and Sportas are too bass-heavy IMO, while the KSC-35 are perfect. I can't listen to the Portas and Sportas, while I consider the 35 to be the best <$50 model on the market.

Oct 30, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #60 of 86
if you fit the headband of the porta pro correctly (i noticed the temple pads don't even touch most people's head, so all the pressure of the headband presses on the ear), it will sound just as balanced as the ksc35. i personally never liked the porta pros because the bloated bass made for a muddy presentation, but now that they fit better, i give them more credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back