Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #12,931 of 15,268
I also found the x2s sounded harsh, but that was when they were connected to a sabre chip dac. Two sabre dacs I tried, an ha2 original and Dragonfly red. However once I plugged them into a smoother sounding dac, that harshness was slightly rolled off, rather than sounding like noise. I now use them with a Chord Mojo, which doesn't have a sabre dac. The mojo gives them a subtle detail lift without hearing that fork on a plate scratching effect.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #12,932 of 15,268
I also found the x2s sounded harsh, but that was when they were connected to a sabre chip dac. Two sabre dacs I tried, an ha2 original and Dragonfly red. However once I plugged them into a smoother sounding dac that harshness became detail, rather than just painful noise. I now use them with a Chord Mojo, which doesn't have a sabre dac, the mojo gives them a subtle detail lift without hearing that fork on a plate scratching effect.

Fwiw it's worth I've got 10-15 (maybe even more) sabre based sources and while some are aggressive others are laid back while yet others are very neutral. I don't agree in the statement that the dac chip itself is bringing out sibilance. In my experience it's the total package that gives the sound its character.

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #12,933 of 15,268
This week they appeared at 160 euros on the italian amazon. But the price went up again and they are close 200 now.

If you're looking for the X2's, I think it makes sense to keep an eye on the European Amazon sites...got mine a few months ago off of Amazon UK for 110 Pounds including shipping to the US.

They're running on an iFi audio iDac and iCan SE...they sound very good for the money (not harsh).

So much so, that I picked up the M1 MkII's for $39.99 -- NIB from Woot. They still have some open box left for $35.99. These also are very nice for an on-ear set of cans...sound great out of my phone as well as my iFi setup.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #12,934 of 15,268
If you're looking for the X2's, I think it makes sense to keep an eye on the European Amazon sites...got mine a few months ago off of Amazon UK for 110 Pounds including shipping to the US

Yup, UK Amazon is where I got mine for $150usd shipped (to USA) as well.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #12,935 of 15,268
Does anyone have an Antlion Modmic or similar they use with the X2? I want to get one of these, but since the X2 are open I'm worried the sound will get affected by having a magnet glued on to the side.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #12,936 of 15,268
Does anyone has tried these with different cable? I'm looking for some good silver cable. How about AudioQuest Victoria and Sydney series? Seems like they're good ones for me. Costs Around 200/300$
Any experience is Welcome!

Also, would be great to know any experience with other AudioQuest Bridge and Falls cables.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #12,937 of 15,268
@juStmEetmeAGaIn I wasn't going to chime in here because I don't know much about AudioQuest cables, but I hate to see a question get ignored in favor of people sniping at each other over off-topic BS... My understanding is that the AQ Bridge and Falls series was geared more towards interconnects than headphone cables. I could be wrong on that. The reasons I think this matters are:
  • Interconnects will be less supple/bendable simply because they don't need to be flexible, and because...
  • interconnect cables can be damaged through overbending. Bending can distort the shape of the interior filaments and muddy the sound. Even moving the cable is often regarded as distorting the sound.
  • Because of that, interconnects are likely to be heavier and less comfortable to wear, especially as you move up in price. Thicker wires, more shielding, etc. make the cable thicker.
  • If you are serious about cables, I would recommend looking at a few different companies which have better customer service, reputation, and pricing than AudioQuest: Norne, Double Helix, plusSound, Linum, Surf, Dyson, to name a few. These are able to offer many more options than AQ and specialize in headphone cables as well as interconnects. Your money would go farther with them than with AQ.
I hope that helps.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #12,938 of 15,268
If you are serious about cables, I would recommend looking at a few different companies which have better customer service, reputation, and pricing than AudioQuest: Norne, Double Helix.
These are able to offer many more options than AQ and specialize in headphone cables as well as interconnects. Your money would go farther with them than with AQ.

Thank you sir. I’ll take a closer look at them.
Maybe few of them are exactly what I’m looking for.

My understanding is that the AQ Bridge and Falls series was geared more towards interconnects than headphone cables.
It’s true. But they do have few other things, like;
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006ZM7RPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A25WDDB9VC73OB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006ZYJS7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A25WDDB9VC73OB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006Z8G7IA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A25WDDB9VC73OB&psc=1

So I was wondering, are they good for my purposes, if they will make any difference that I will like.
Author answered the user’s question about cables for X2 to try take a look for some silver cables.
From his review; https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

(If I am correct, may be from other review, https://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/)

And some other interesting stuff;
https://www.headfonia.com/aftermarket-headphone-cables-review/3/

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/audioquest-cable-theories-exposed

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/250...dneys-vs-cheap-20-monster-800i-cables.695073/

I’m not saying that I’m fully agree with these authors, and all this. Let’s say.....the truth is out there:)

Don’t get me wrong. I’m interested in all this, but without fanaticism. More reasonable, less delirium. “Golden mean» if you like....
So, if there is some “gold sweet yummy cord”, hiding somewhere, that will make me more happy, why do not find it?

What else do I need? I have few good cans, I have nice DAP and soon will have Solid state amp, also a great audio library....oh, cords! The last thing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #12,940 of 15,268
hey, new poster here. Recieved fidelio x2 2 days ago. Since they dont sell them in my country I ordered them blindly by checking some reviews.
These are my first open back headphones. Build quality is amazing and so is comfort. More comfy than the sony950n1 I have. Pads go around the ear and i can wear them for hours.
Now for sound, initial test definetly impressed me. Although I dont have an amp or dac I tried laptop, pc, iphone and htc phones and eveything could drive them decently.
I seen some reviews saying they are bass head cans or that they are "v shaped". I dont know what these people were smoking, sound was neutral for me but in a good way.
Bass is tight and good quality, reaches deep, probably perfect amount of bass. Mids and highs sound fantastic. Acoustic guitars never sounded more real to me.
Soundstage isnt super wide like some reviewers claimed but its definelty nice and sounds pretty natural.
I get what people say when they called it musical and fun sounding. I was tapping my feet at every song i put on.

Now for some questions, has anyone tried using comparing them from phone and an amp?
What would be a good pairing for fidelios. Was thinking about fiio e17k or perhaps q1. Something that would smooth out treble a little
and had a bass boost switch or eq. Mostly listening to them through phone but also would like to game on those. Amp/dac that could both connect
speakers (z623) and headphones would be dope.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #12,941 of 15,268
hey, new poster here. Recieved fidelio x2 2 days ago. Since they dont sell them in my country I ordered them blindly by checking some reviews.
These are my first open back headphones. Build quality is amazing and so is comfort. More comfy than the sony950n1 I have. Pads go around the ear and i can wear them for hours.
Now for sound, initial test definetly impressed me. Although I dont have an amp or dac I tried laptop, pc, iphone and htc phones and eveything could drive them decently.
I seen some reviews saying they are bass head cans or that they are "v shaped". I dont know what these people were smoking, sound was neutral for me but in a good way.
Bass is tight and good quality, reaches deep, probably perfect amount of bass. Mids and highs sound fantastic. Acoustic guitars never sounded more real to me.
Soundstage isnt super wide like some reviewers claimed but its definelty nice and sounds pretty natural.
I get what people say when they called it musical and fun sounding. I was tapping my feet at every song i put on.

Now for some questions, has anyone tried using comparing them from phone and an amp?
What would be a good pairing for fidelios. Was thinking about fiio e17k or perhaps q1. Something that would smooth out treble a little
and had a bass boost switch or eq. Mostly listening to them through phone but also would like to game on those. Amp/dac that could both connect
speakers (z623) and headphones would be dope.

The X2s (in some ways my favorite HPs) can be driven w/anything--but they scale up very nicely w/better amplification. I never heard them w/DAP or phone--only w/various amps.

I started out w/a DAC/amp combination that probably is equivalent (maybe somewhat better) than a typical phone: the FiiO E10K. I loved that sound, thought I was in heaven. Bass was/is excellent.

Then I got my first "serious" HP amp, the Lake People G109-A (very similar to the current G109-S). The improvement in sound of X2s was rather shocking to me--and very welcome. Bass was already quite good, and it got better. Everything got better.

Some people talk about treble being "bright" (hard to believe that) or ragged/unrefined (not my experience). But w/a strong SS amp, bass & treble get even better.

I got the best sound for X2s out of my Liquid Carbon v2. That's counterintuitive, since the LC is a "warm" amp. But SS warmth works somewhat differently from tube warmth. Sometimes that warmth doesn't "add" to the warmth of a headphone like the X2s--it interacts w/it synergistically.

You couldn't do any better than the Lake People IMO. Another amp people talk about in positive general terms is the M Stage Matrix 3B. It does SE & balanced, so if you ever step up to a balanced HP, you'd be covered. Price is in the ballpark of Lake People (~$500 USD, +/- $50).

PS: w/a good quality amp, you really won't need a bass boost at all. But if you're into that, the iFi amps all have a well-designed bass boost. The iFi idsd Black Label gets a LOT of love around here. That might be the one for you...same general price range:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...MIkZ3Ov5-t2QIVD1YNCh2k2AtMEAQYASABEgKj7PD_BwE

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #12,942 of 15,268
I listen to them out of an iFi Micro iCAN SE Headphone Amplifier and they sound great! Haven't had the need/desire to engage the XBass feature though.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #12,943 of 15,268
Hey, I've got my Fidelios X2HR recently. I sold my original X2 a while ago due to harsh trebble. But I loved the sound so much I now got my hands on x2HR. I listen to them trough fiio e10k dac ( and boy they response so well to bass boost), I like the sound, but to my ears they sound exactly like original x2's with artificial treble. I now also own sennheiser hd650 and have an opportunity to compare them side by side. I find X2's to be more musical and better sounding except the treble region. Sennheisers are smooth and very well-behaved, and x2's are harsh and spiky (a bit). This time around I'll keep the x2's and sell 650's. I hope to remedy x2 treble with eq ( not the best idea i know) or maybe with some paper dampening. Anyone knows of any treble mods for x2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back