Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #12,947 of 15,268
Ive heard these are good, but artificial.. curious to hear what others think

LOL! That's a bit of a contradiction isnti it :wink:

Fwiw I agree that they're good but disagree on the artificial part.....

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #12,949 of 15,268
I was looking into getting a pair for myself but my friend said they sounded "artificial" and we both have similar tastes so I backed off of getting one

What was your friends DAP or DAC/Amp and what else does your friend think sound better?...............................(friendly question:smile_phones:)

I reckon that the X2 are one of the most natural, musical and non fatiguing headphones in existence at the moment especially at their price and that they are easily driven by a decent DAP or am I wrong???

None of us are saying they are perfect but I am finding it hard to fault them.

I reckon that it is very revealing of the source DAC and that could be a problem for people who do not like the sound, so it is well worth experimenting with different sources as system synergy could be an issue (as is so often mentioned on HF).

Has anyone compared the X2 HR version (or even HD version) to the new Senn HD660S as I am hearing conflicting views on the 660S?

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #12,950 of 15,268
I was looking into getting a pair for myself but my friend said they sounded "artificial" and we both have similar tastes so I backed off of getting one
I've had mine for 4 years and absolutely love them. Why not listen to your friends set up and then decide for yourself?

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #12,951 of 15,268
To each his own...but they now are a daily headphone for me in my home office...got them for £105.02 on Amazon UK...

I find this funny because I have some high-end cans that sound very nice but it's a hassle to take them out of the case, hook them up, warm up the OTL amp, etc. Just too much effort at times.
With these, they're always plugged into a lowly iCan SE..ready to go. I leave them out on the desk and don't feel that I have to baby them like a set of cans 10x their price :ksc75smile:

in a nutshell, they're a tremendous value...comfortable, nice sound across genres allowing me to put the player on shuffle and just listen

FWIW, the M1's are a nice listen out of my phone as well...again a great value ($39.99, NIB)

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #12,952 of 15,268

"good" -- yes. actually, better than just "good"

"artificial" -- definitely NO. the opposite of "artificial," natural, relaxing, musical.

not perfect; they have flaws. but artificiality is not one of them...

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #12,953 of 15,268
I have a wide range of headphones and cannot think of a better $150 to $200 set of HP's out there ! By the way, what does artificial sounding mean ?

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #12,955 of 15,268
My friend lives in Indiana while in all the way in TN, otherwise I would've.. he sold his off a while back as well. I also have similar taste to him in headphones, so I took his word for it

That’s really unfortunate. Maybe someday you’ll run into a set at a HF meet or a store or something. If you do, take a few minutes, toss them on, and check them out for yourself. Only then will you know if they’re for you or not. Or buy them from Amazon, and return them if you don’t like them at all.

I own a pile of headphones, and have listened to dozens more at stores and CanJam events.

I patiently waited over 2 years before getting my X2.

It’s one of the most fun and easiest to listen to headphones I have come across. By that I mean it has an inoffensive, smooth, lush, non-fatiguing, musical sound, that’s an immersive experience. Immersive experience in the sense that once you put them on, you are able to become completely immersed in the music and totally forget about the outside world. Not many headphones can do that.

It sounds great with all genres, plays well with every source I’ve ever thrown at it, and is super comfy.

I’m a modded/tweaker by nature, and it’s the only headphone I own where I haven’t modded it in any way. It’s perfect exactly as it is. Maybe 1 day I’ll run into the team that designed and tuned the X2, so I can shake their hands, tell them how much we appreciate their contribution, and buy them all a round of beers :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #12,956 of 15,268
My friend lives in Indiana while in all the way in TN, otherwise I would've.. he sold his off a while back as well. I also have similar taste to him in headphones, so I took his word for it

And we are your friends here on H-F, is your friend on H-F?

H-F is just a bunch of opinions and all that matters is yours!!! :smile_phones:

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #12,957 of 15,268
That’s really unfortunate.

I own a pile of headphones, and have listened to dozens more at stores and CanJam events.

I patiently waited over 2 years before getting my X2.

It’s one of the most fun and easiest to listen to headphones I have come across. By that I mean it has an inoffensive, smooth, lush, non-fatiguing, musical sound, that’s an immersive experience. Immersive experience in the sense that once you out it on, you are able to become completely immersed in the music and not the outside world. Not many headphones can do that.

It sounds great with all genres, plays well with every source I’ve ever thrown at it, and is super comfy.

I’m a modded/tweaker by nature, and it’s the only headphone I own where I haven’t modded it in any way. It’s just right exactly as it is. Maybe 1 day I’ll run into the team that designed and tuned the X2, so I can shake their hands, tell them how much we appreciate their contribution, and buy them all a round of beers :)
hmm, I may reconsider getting them then.. I'll see how I like the 990 premiums I got for 110 that come in today first though :wink:
And we are your friends here on H-F, is your friend on H-F?

H-F is just a bunch of opinions and all that matters is yours!!! :smile_phones:
I know him through a Zeos discord. Most people tell me to be wary of Head-fi, and that sometimes "they don't give the best advice". Like for instance I got the Multibit because of here, and everyone I know that is into serious audio poops on it. Lol.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #12,958 of 15,268
Most people tell me to be wary of Head-fi, and that sometimes "they don't give the best advice".

Wow, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I’ve found the HF community (97%) to be polite, welcoming, helpful, and knowledgeable.

I think a lot of bad experiences stem from mismatched suggestions. By that I mean someone will join, do minimal or zeros reading or searching, Glenn what the most popular or hype-trained item is being most discussed in the most recent 1-2 pages of a thread (only), then post “it sounds like this is the best item right now, correct?”

But the person failed to give any information about what they like and dislike, genres, what source they’ll be using, whether it will amped or not, intended uses, what features are important (such as isolation or detachable cables), etc etc.

Then people say “yeah it’s great”, and the person is ultimately disappointed when they get it.

Well, what’s “awesome” to me may be “terrible” for someone else.

That’s why it’s so important to do research, learn as much as you can, ask a lot of questions, read as many reviews as possible, and get a thorough understanding before just jumping in blindly on a purchase.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #12,959 of 15,268
hmm, I may reconsider getting them then.. I'll see how I like the 990 premiums I got for 110 that come in today first though :wink:

I know him through a Zeos discord. Most people tell me to be wary of Head-fi, and that sometimes "they don't give the best advice". Like for instance I got the Multibit because of here, and everyone I know that is into serious audio ****s on it. Lol.
Interestng; I own the dt 990 premiums, as well as, the fidelio x2's. After you've familiarized yourself with the dt 990's, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.Then I could give my impressions of the x2 as compared to the 990's.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #12,960 of 15,268
Interestng; I own the dt 990 premiums, as well as, the fidelio x2's. After you've familiarized yourself with the dt 990's, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.Then I could give my impressions of the x2 as compared to the 990's.
Awesome!! I would really appreciate that :) give me a few days, then feel free to quote me again so I don't forget, because I will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back