Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 11, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #12,901 of 15,268
I use a Little Dot 2 used to be fed from my pc via a simple dac but since got my Fostex HPA4-BL which is an amp/dac that now feeds my Little Dot. I suggest a dac from pc to tube amp then audio heaven

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #12,902 of 15,268
I've used the LD I+ with my X2's for a long time and find it to be a very good pairing. That being said I've upgraded my LD with Burson V5 op amp and (IIRC) some Siemens tubes. As I'm lucky enough to have many headphones and amplifiers I actually tuned the LD to be dedicated to the X2's as one of its strengths is the possible to tune the sound quite a bit by changing tubes and op amps.

If you you a laptop as a source I'd definately recommend getting a external DAC (or DAC/amp combo) though.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #12,903 of 15,268
I've used the LD I+ with my X2's for a long time and find it to be a very good pairing. That being said I've upgraded my LD with Burson V5 op amp and (IIRC) some Siemens tubes. As I'm lucky enough to have many headphones and amplifiers I actually tuned the LD to be dedicated to the X2's as one of its strengths is the possible to tune the sound quite a bit by changing tubes and op amps.

If you you a laptop as a source I'd definately recommend getting a external DAC (or DAC/amp combo) though.

This post interests me a lot for 2 reasons:
  1. Because I've been obsessing about getting an OTL amp (Massdrop is offering the LD2 MKII for cheap $$ now)--but worried it might not "live happily" with my low impedance HPs
  2. And because your "warm amp + warm headphone" combo seems so successful.
Over and over I discovered combinations that look bad on paper (ie, my warm X2s + warm Liquid Carbon) can sound incredibly good in unpredictable ways. I concluded these combinations aren't simple, predictable additions of sonic flavors--but synergies between them.

Another amazing combo for me was the E-Mu Teaks (since sold) + LC.

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #12,904 of 15,268
This post interests me a lot for 2 reasons:
  1. Because I've been obsessing about getting an OTL amp (Massdrop is offering the LD2 MKII for cheap $$ now)--but worried it might not "live happily" with my low impedance HPs
  2. And because your "warm amp + warm headphone" combo seems so successful.
Over and over I discovered combinations that look bad on paper (ie, my warm X2s + warm Liquid Carbon) can sound incredibly good in unpredictable ways. I concluded these combinations aren't simple, predictable additions of sonic flavors--but synergies between them.

Another amazing combo for me was the E-Mu Teaks (since sold) + LC.

I've honestly never owned any OTL amp (the LD I+ is a hybrid) because of the reason that you mention (the high output impedance will limit its usability). I do however own a Garage 1217 Project Ember II that has adjustable output impedance (0.1, 35 and 120Ohms iirc) and so far i haven't come across one headphone where I prefer the highest output impedance and I've tried quite a few. I'm really happy that I got the Ember instead of a OTL but ymmw. The Ember (just like the LD I+) is a minor hobby within the hobby with all its possible combinations. Both are really fun to own and although I bought the Ember to replace the LD I don't think I'll ever part with either.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #12,907 of 15,268
hello everyone,

I never seriously engaged in listening to music via earphones/headphones until the mid of 2017. The first earphone I ever bought was a ~USD15 Sony whatever it was 30 years ago. at that time have not much idea how it sounds. Till the mid of 2017, I ran into a clearance sales of Philips in my country and I picked up a demo of A5 pro DJ closed can at ~USD38 which is xtreme bargain. Since I do not have enough resources to invest in audio equipment. I used my Sony Z3 to drive the 16ohm A5 pro which is more than enough. Then it was another clearance sales by Philips 1 month ago and I couldn't resist to buy the only X2 they had at that time at USD130 which is a lot expensive than my A5 pro. However, my sony Z3 does not have enough juice to drive the X2 to the adequate volume I am used to listen. So, I bought a Fiio A5 (800mW@32ohms; output impedance <0.3ohms) try to increase the volume of my x2.

However, if the H gain is off, the volume gain is about +5db (@max) I guess than without the A5, with the H gain is on, it is ok to achieve the volume I would like to. The questions are:

1. since most of you said no H gain is needed if one don't need extra loudness, I wonder if anything wrong with my A5 since I believe almost no volume gain with the H gain is off?
2. no matter if H gain is on and off, I don't see much difference on other audio quality increases except the volume. (maybe due to my insensitivity to audio?) Is it adequate?
3. advise if my z3 in okay for DAC? if not should I buy a new mobile with DAC or buy a seperate DAC if my budget is about USD100?

Over 90% I listen on the road and I mostly only listen to Sade, MC, Bee Gees, Tony Braxton, Eagles, Enigma.
Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Lu

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #12,908 of 15,268
With the Fiio A5 you should blow your ears anything higher then 1 o clock setting @ low gain. I had it with the X2 and it got like 10 times the power you need adequately need for the Fidelio X2. Do you have the volume maxed on your source?
On a side note you should get a good source first and an amp later. Source would be optimal with a LineOut Level output of at least 2.1V (which your phone probably is far far away from) I used the Dragonfly Red @ line out settings for this. In the end i sold the A5 because the DFR got enough power by itself for my headphones.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #12,909 of 15,268
With the Fiio A5 you should blow your ears anything higher then 1 o clock setting @ low gain. I had it with the X2 and it got like 10 times the power you need adequately need for the Fidelio X2. Do you have the volume maxed on your source?
On a side note you should get a good source first and an amp later. Source would be optimal with a LineOut Level output of at least 2.1V (which your phone probably is far far away from) I used the Dragonfly Red @ line out settings for this. In the end i sold the A5 because the DFR got enough power by itself for my headphones.

I see. I believe the output power of my Sony Z3 mobile phone is too weak. I tried iP7 and S8 which can provide adequate volume to my X2 directly w/o amp but not my Z3 that's why I bought the Fiio A5 but w/o high gain, I can hardly enjoy the music.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #12,910 of 15,268
I see. I believe the output power of my Sony Z3 mobile phone is too weak. I tried iP7 and S8 which can provide adequate volume to my X2 directly w/o amp but not my Z3 that's why I bought the Fiio A5 but w/o high gain, I can hardly enjoy the music.
As i said you should still max your volume on the Z3 even when its connected to the FiioA5. The Fiio should still be overkill and be much much too loud (~130db) at max settings.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #12,912 of 15,268
sure ninetylol, I did it every time. so, I guess something wrong with my a5

I never used a DAP or phone to power my X2s...my system is 100% desktop-based, separate DAC, amps, etc.

Just a comment about "scaling" w/the X2s:
  • When I first had them, my only source was the FiiO e10k, a tiny DAC/amp unit. The X2s sounded terrific
  • When I got a separate DAC & amp (Peachtree Audio DAC iTx + Lake People G109-A), the X2s sounded terrific/squared. A whole new level.
The X2s always sound at least good (you'll find this out when you get your gain situation and/or defective DAP squared away). And they sound even better w/more power & better digital signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back