Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #8,491 of 15,268
If you look back through my posts, I posted a pic with mine wearing some HM5 pads. A bit of on adventure getting them on since you gotta stretch them all the way over the earcups - unless you can get a pair of mounting plates - I've had no luck so far. @Baycode
 also did a review of the hm5 pads and had some better pics.
Trying the hm5 pads really was the only reason I noticed the pads were glued, and comfort wise they are a step up IMO.

Thanks for the info! Even though I came from the AKG K7XX, and its fabulous pads, I never had an issue with the stock Philips pads.

Personally, I like to pad roll, so I can keep the stock pads in pristine condition in case I decided to sell them down the road. I never did this with the Philips because, at the very least, it was always going to be my go-to gaming headphone, especially once I sold the AKG.

I never swapped in the Brainwavz pads (even though I adore the pleather ones, amazingly), because the comfort of the stock X2 pads was never an issue for me.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #8,492 of 15,268
So they're no longer replaceable?

The glue is not strong/permanent, just some kind of yellow sticky stuff, and the pads can be removed.  

I can corroborate @wwmhf's assessment. I pulled pads off of two pairs, and was able to get them back on, no problem.

I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker, honestly.

Edit: grammar

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #8,493 of 15,268
Just got back from my holiday travel. Happy to report my "very good" Amazon Warehouse is in excellent shape. Pads not glued, sound great. Best $150 I've ever spent on audio. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #8,496 of 15,268
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #8,497 of 15,268
This forum has gone to 'Schiit'. Can people talk about sound quality, frequency curve, imaging, appropriate DACs and Amps, and music?

This thread has like 500+ pages, I'd wager all of that was discussed a million times already.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #8,499 of 15,268

Well, okay. Anyway, with new and older X2s listened to Shelby Lynne-Just a Little Loving, Stevie Wonder-Talking Book, Rickie Lee Jones-Pop Pop, Radiohead-Kid A, Los Fronterizos-Misa Criolla...all sounded quite good. Some listening was through PC and DAC (Windows 10, Foobar2000, Musiland Monitor 01) some through ipod (last gen). Full sound. Clear separation of different instruments. Of course, these are well recorded albums. Both X2s sounded similar.  Use several 3.5 mm cables as I like the shorter-than stock lengths and sturdy quality: vention. and anker. Have a vmoda sitting b (all of these are inexpensive but well built). Definitely spending more time listening to music.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #8,500 of 15,268
I've ordered AKG K712 some time ago. Would be interesting to compare it to X2. Should be something completely different according to some reviews.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #8,501 of 15,268

Well, okay. Anyway, with new and older X2s listened to Shelby Lynne-Just a Little Loving, Stevie Wonder-Talking Book, Rickie Lee Jones-Pop Pop, Radiohead-Kid A, Los Fronterizos-Misa Criolla...all sounded quite good. Some listening was through PC and DAC (Windows 10, Foobar2000, Musiland Monitor 01) some through ipod (last gen). Full sound. Clear separation of different instruments. Of course, these are well recorded albums. Both X2s sounded similar.  Use several 3.5 mm cables as I like the shorter-than stock lengths and sturdy quality: vention. and anker. Have a vmoda sitting b (all of these are inexpensive but well built). Definitely spending more time listening to music.

My word, we don't listen to music here! We're here just to compare fit n finish problems
wink_face.gif

Try some Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree if that's up your alley. It's like a warm belly rub for your eardrums
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #8,502 of 15,268
Isnt it strange they changed from removable pads to glued pads? 
Why on earth would they do that?
It is one of the strong selling points, especially after all the comments on the X1, which werent removable.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #8,503 of 15,268
These are great headphones at a great price...... idk what all the belly aching is about the pads and the glue, simple solution just leave the pads alone. If u can't handle that just return them and buy something else. just me 2 cents. I love mine :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #8,504 of 15,268
Dec 27, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #8,505 of 15,268
Steven Wilson is very talented. Great live too. His prior band Porcupine Tree is underrated. Probably more accessible than Radiohead but they still had the ambition and complexity to make them an indie band a cut above a lot of stuff out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back