Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 28, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #8,521 of 15,268
  All new stock will be glued, official, from Phillips UK. I spoke to them at length on the phone.

Non glued = older stock.

Kind of sad to hear.
I have no complaints over the audio. These sets just sound marvellous but the build quality is really worrying me.

I bought my set in August from Finland. Pads were glued, though that did not bother me much. I have to RMA my set due to other quality issues. Biggest issue is that the right earphone color layer started peeling off. You can literally scratch it off with your fingernail. The left earpiece is totally fine. Another issue is the constant purple'ish oily tint leakage from the velour earpads leaving stains on paper and even my wooden workdesk. Washing them under warm water did not help. 

Now I am awaing the response from Philips. :frowning2:

Edit: Added some pictures http://imgur.com/a/Nl89L

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #8,522 of 15,268
Might return mine and stick with the DT1770's. They are just a superior product all round, superior price as well unfortunately.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #8,523 of 15,268
  Might return mine and stick with the DT1770's. They are just a superior product all round, superior price as well unfortunately.

Really? Not that I question your judgment, more so because we are comparing an open can to a closed. I'd imagine treble and sound stage are better on the X2? Bass tightness on the 1770 could have an advantage, though.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,524 of 15,268

Superior price? 
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #8,525 of 15,268
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #8,527 of 15,268

Really? Not that I question your judgment, more so because we are comparing an open can to a closed. I'd imagine treble and sound stage are better on the X2? Bass tightness on the 1770 could have an advantage, though.

1770 does an amazing job with soundstage for a closed can. X2 didn't sound as open to me as HD-650's.

But I am partial to bass, so I think that's why the 1770's are winning me over.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #8,528 of 15,268

1770 does an amazing job with soundstage for a closed can. X2 didn't sound as open to me as HD-650's.

But I am partial to bass, so I think that's why the 1770's are winning me over.

Gotcha. I'd love to hear a comparison. I just sold my 400i for the X2 (only paid $150ish) Although the 400i are technically a bit better, I found that I preferred the X2 signature. I'll have to try the 1770 now!

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #8,529 of 15,268

These pads are definitely thicker than my pair bought in July.  Also these look round.  Mine are oval in shape. Just sayin'...

Also, different pads make a big difference in sound.  Experience tells me that thicker pads like these would add bass.  And most likely not in a good way considering the X2s somewhat bassy sound signature already. 

It's disheartening that I can't buy a second pair and be guaranteed to get the same headphone and sound.  My first pair is flawless in build quality and sound reproduction.

This could be why my Gibson pair sounded so muffled/dark/sloppy compared to my WOOX pair.  Cosmetically, the pads looked and felt identical, but who knows.  I couldn't swap the pads around as the Gibson merchant wanted them returned in 'as new' condition (ie. not with glued pads ripped off).

Third pair is coming in tomorrow or Wednesday.  The Gibson pair is returned but I'll still have the WOOX for comparison. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #8,530 of 15,268
Oops! Didn't see this thread earlier, bugs swarming in my stomach. X2 will be my first open back headphone & it's on the way now. There are many sellers on Amazon but I ordered it new from Amazon itself so I hope for the best.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #8,531 of 15,268
Hello. How loud is leaked sound from this headphone ? I want upgrade from my headphones Beyerdynamic Custom one pro, but i fear that sound leak from fidelio x2 is too big. I live in college dorm with 2 roomates and when i had koss porta pro none of them complain.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #8,532 of 15,268
  Hello. How loud is leaked sound from this headphone ? I want upgrade from my headphones Beyerdynamic Custom one pro, but i fear that sound leak from fidelio x2 is too big. I live in college dorm with 2 roomates and when i had koss porta pro none of them complain.

Tough call. For open backs, I think they leak far less than most, but still leak. My 400i seemed to leak just as much as they put out. My girlfriend's first comment after replacing them with the X2 was "They are much quieter."

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #8,533 of 15,268

I have been using them in an open type office solution. And to be honest, the sound leak is barely noticable for an open back headset. From 2m away you will be able to hear the mild tune you listen to, from 5m and more the sound leak merges with the ambient sound. So far none of my co-workers has complained to me about my music or the noise. Personally I'd complain more about my noisy co-workers. :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #8,535 of 15,268
Dont worry. They will sound great. If you hadnt read all these qc issues i doubt you'll ever notice them. Unless you bought them because of the removable pads. I just got my hands on a used pair, its from januari 2015 and with the removable pads. Dunno if i'll ever switch pads, they are comfy and the cans sound great. It's my first open HP, and i really like spacious sound, bass and clarity. Very happy with them!
But it is strange they changed the manufacturing process, if it was getting better it would make sense, but as i understand it, it is a step backwards. I choose the X2 above the X1 because of the removable pads, but if they arent , then i would choose an used X1 (change the cable though), its cheaper.
I cant imagine the sound of the new X2 has changed, they should have to name it differently if it was. A Fidelio X2 is a Fidelio X2 (except for some minor superficial changes, but the great sound should be the same). 

Let us know how you like them plz. 

THE PADS ARE REMOVABLE! !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back