Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 26, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #8,465 of 15,268
Below are some side by side pictures of the early fall standard price purchase and the very recent sale purchase, both from Amazon. The only discernible external difference is the bottom on the inner box showing the Woox and Gibson labels (already detailed in other posts and I won't show the picture since it contains the serial numbers). Side by side, they looked and felt identical. The pads for both are a permanent solid black. The bands on both are well adhered or stitched with the nice leather feel and Philips Fidelio imprinted on top. The side speaker grills are identical sharp black metal. I pulled up the adjustable head band and both have the same Woox Innovations imprinted with model number. As I indicated in an earlier post, the ear pads will be pulled off when/if replacement is needed and with pads in hand. I do suspect the older ones do not have the glue and the newer ones do. While I did not do a strict sound comparison, the balance is equal and the sound signatures are the same, as far as I can tell (I do believe in burn-in but would have needed a longer blind test comparison to see if I could identify which is which). In the end, the happy giftee left very satisfied, as far as I can tell (or course they were free to him and I, who paid for them, still feel like I got a great deal overt eh two headphones). I told him of Head.fi.org and I am sure he will weigh in in the future.

PS...The warmer color pictures are without photo flash. The single headphone pictures are of the new headphone in the box. In the side by sides, if you think you can identify which one is the sale headphone, please feel free to post away.

Dec 26, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #8,466 of 15,268
Glued pads or no, I swooped in and got an AWH deal for these at $140 after the mass returns. Coming from a 4 year old M50, I'm not too worried about cosmetic perfection. The M50s were practically the same price! Think about that, now that used is back up to 250+ :cool:

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #8,467 of 15,268
Hey, your pads look thicker than mine!  I'm sending mine back! 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #8,468 of 15,268
  PS...The warmer color pictures are without photo flash. The single headphone pictures are of the new headphone in the box. In the side by sides, if you think you can identify which one is the sale headphone, please feel free to post away.

Thanks for the pictures.  In the ones where they are stacked, the Gibson is on the right/top.  The writing is clearly whiter on the Gibsons compared to the WOOX.  I also suspect both pairs have glued pads, as I've so far seen a correlation between the 'Hi-Res Audio' sticker and the glued pads (this is only anecdotal evidence).

It's a shame you didn't do a "strict comparison".  I could A/B my WOOX and Gibson pairs without a doubt.  They'll both be going back on Monday.

Hope you all had a nice, snowy Christmas :)  I wrote this post with a toddler climbing on my back, so forvive any typos!

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #8,469 of 15,268
Well i just discovered that my X2 is imbalanced in sub-bass region. Took them to the shop for rma. I will miss it. :frowning2:
Now i'm looking for an IEM to go, don't know which one will suit me better, ATH-ckr9 or Fidue A83? ( i prefer X2's sound signature)

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #8,470 of 15,268
  Well i just discovered that my X2 is imbalanced in sub-bass region. Took them to the shop for rma. I will miss it. :frowning2:
Now i'm looking for an IEM to go, don't know which one will suit me better, ATH-ckr9 or Fidue A83? ( i prefer X2's sound signature)

This is by far the most serious issue with the X2 - it throws the whole soundstage off.  I played around with Equalizer APO to balance the worst offending frequencies on my WOOX pair and, for all my complaining, they do sound mightly good when balanced.  Needless to say that this is not something you should have to do with a $299 RRP headphone.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #8,471 of 15,268

This is by far the most serious issue with the X2 - it throws the whole soundstage off.  I played around with Equalizer APO to balance the worst offending frequencies on my WOOX pair and, for all my complaining, they do sound mightly good when balanced.  Needless to say that this is not something you should have to do with a $299 RRP headphone.

Hope the pair will be perfect when the manufacturer return them.
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #8,472 of 15,268
Thanks everyone who posted pictures of their earpads. I seem to have confirmed that my pads are considerably thinner. That is consistent with how it feels to wear them, since the pads barely compress when they sit on my head. The weight distribution is completely off thus the clamp is pretty awful.

Sound wise they're really really good though.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #8,473 of 15,268
I went ahead and returned my set.  only because I felt the sound stage was very close to the 7xx.  plus I didn't like looking like a cone head when I wore them.  Yes I am that guy that will wear all my headphones out in about.   I setup shop anywhere lol. 

SO if anyone buys a pair of used ones.  you may get mine. ◕‿◕  

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #8,474 of 15,268
I'm sorry I also returned it. Because on my setup (Explorer line out to A6 amp.), it's no better than my 9500. soundstage is a little bit larger than 9500, dynamic is a little bitter. But 9500 has better middle and high. Most important, to my ear, 9500 sounds much natural and musical than X2! At least for classical/symphony. I saw people modded the cushion and bass improved a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back