Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 27, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #8,507 of 15,268
  Steve Wilson. Must have missed this in the 500+ pages.

I thought everybody knew of Porcupine Tree, ha. I'd recommend listening to some Opeth too. Earlier albums are a little heavier, but later are more accessible. I love them all, though.

They are big friends with Wilson and he produced some of their music.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #8,508 of 15,268
The pads are removable with glue or not.  You can easily buy a replacement set from eBay, but not from Philips lol.  Anyway, for musical enjoyment, this set does not disappoint.  I've listened to various types of music, from David Gilmour live in Gdansk to D'angelo's Brown Sugar and these cans are awesome.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #8,509 of 15,268

I thought everybody knew of Porcupine Tree, ha. I'd recommend listening to some Opeth too. Earlier albums are a little heavier, but later are more accessible. I love them all, though.

They are big friends with Wilson and he produced some of their music.

One of the first things I listened to was Fear of a Blank Planet. Liked it, liked it alot. Inspired me to fire up Musicbee, hit the Auto-DJ, and listen to some of my more prog-oriented tunes. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #8,510 of 15,268
Steven Wilson is very talented. Great live too. His prior band Porcupine Tree is underrated. Probably more accessible than Radiohead but they still had the ambition and complexity to make them an indie band a cut above a lot of stuff out there.

+1! Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree.... epic.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #8,511 of 15,268

This is what my set of X2's look like. I got mine from Amazon when they were on sale for $200. The box says Gibson but the headphone band says Woox. 
There is a tiny amount of glue on the ear pads but overall everything is perfect. They sound great and are super super comfy.

These pads are definitely thicker than my pair bought in July.  Also these look round.  Mine are oval in shape. Just sayin'...

Also, different pads make a big difference in sound.  Experience tells me that thicker pads like these would add bass.  And most likely not in a good way considering the X2s somewhat bassy sound signature already. 

It's disheartening that I can't buy a second pair and be guaranteed to get the same headphone and sound.  My first pair is flawless in build quality and sound reproduction.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #8,512 of 15,268

These pads are definitely thicker than my pair bought in July.  Also these look round.  Mine are oval in shape. Just sayin'...

Also, different pads make a big difference in sound.  Experience tells me that thicker pads like these would add bass.  And most likely not in a good way considering the X2s somewhat bassy sound signature already. 

It's disheartening that I can't buy a second pair and be guaranteed to get the same headphone and sound.  My first pair is flawless in build quality and sound reproduction.

You can always buy a used one. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #8,513 of 15,268
Hey all,

Awaiting the arrival of my Fidelio X2's which I found at the cheapest price of £174 online from the "Coolshop", I have been following this thread since ordering them and i'm going to try and keep an open and unbiased opinion of them once they arrive. There's a ton of negativity surrounding them here!!! Mostly based on Q.C
I currently own a set of Momentums (over ear Black) which I love, but wanted a set of open back cans because most of my listening is now done at home, the momentums lack "space" which I hope the X2's will have. I realised this lack of "space" having tried my sons AKG 702's which quite honestly blew me away. Reading this thread cant help but think maybe I should have just gone for the AKG's like my Sons which were priced at £134 but I do favour a more Bass orientated sound which led me to the Fidelio's.
Does anyone know if production has been moved to a different factory following Gibsons Involvement or does it just seem that Quality in General has suffered? I read so many glowing reviews of these, prior to ordering, but then found concerns aplenty on here! Got my Fingers crossed they'll be great!!!

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #8,514 of 15,268
Just got my replacement, checked serial number with Phillips.

Build date of November 2015, Gibson.

Ordered from Amazon (UK) Paid full price - £300

Thick glued pads, no other cosmetic issues, no driver imbalance, great sound.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #8,515 of 15,268

Dont worry. They will sound great. If you hadnt read all these qc issues i doubt you'll ever notice them. Unless you bought them because of the removable pads. I just got my hands on a used pair, its from januari 2015 and with the removable pads. Dunno if i'll ever switch pads, they are comfy and the cans sound great. It's my first open HP, and i really like spacious sound, bass and clarity. Very happy with them!
But it is strange they changed the manufacturing process, if it was getting better it would make sense, but as i understand it, it is a step backwards. I choose the X2 above the X1 because of the removable pads, but if they arent , then i would choose an used X1 (change the cable though), its cheaper.
I cant imagine the sound of the new X2 has changed, they should have to name it differently if it was. A Fidelio X2 is a Fidelio X2 (except for some minor superficial changes, but the great sound should be the same). 

Let us know how you like them plz. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #8,516 of 15,268

Where do you find the serial number? Anywhere on the cans themselves?

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #8,517 of 15,268
I'm curious how the replacement pairs are faring? 

A few pages ago, someone said that all new stock will be glued...?  Is this true?

@madwolfa how are your new pairs, still glued?

I'm pretty sure someone said their second pair wasn't glued....

I want to return mine, for a new pair, but don't want another glue issue..

Also, FWIW, I put 2 pieces of printer paper, on both sides of the headphones, while it was in the box.  There was a lot of pressure on both pieces, size the box wasn't closing properly, and I didn't get any ink, but it looked like some "hairs/particles" from the pads came off, but it was tiny, so doesn't really warrant anything to worry about, but just a comment :p.    No ink at all, was in the box for a little over a day...  Granted I had not worn the headphones for a long time, and I had showered before using them....  I hear that the pads would leak ink once they were soaked with sweat, so maybe I just didn't provide enough "juice" to "ink" :p.

Also, new computer almost done, then I can test out this pair with something better than my 5 year old Laptop's audio..... My 10 year old sound card!!! :D....  Plus new MB's onboard :wink:.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #8,518 of 15,268
All new stock will be glued, official, from Phillips UK. I spoke to them at length on the phone.

Non glued = older stock.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #8,519 of 15,268
Thanks for reply,
Yeah will post my findings, not too worried about cosmetics just want that Awesome sound, anyone know where these cans are manufactured, guessing China but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere?

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #8,520 of 15,268
Designed in Netherlands, made in china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back