Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 3, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #5,507 of 15,268
In my audio chain, the treble region has no graininess and the bass sounds muscular and well defined. My current audio chain for the X2:

Laptop (JPLAY 6.2 Alt) > Uptone Audio USB Regen (Amber) > iBasso D7 > X2

With this chain, the X2 sounds utterly spectacular with movies and movie soundtracks. Was watching Fast & Furious 5 a couple of days. The bass control and dynamics, vocals, treble and soundstage were absolutely perfect.

I'm interested on that usb regen, and i think it can improve the quality of the X2 the way the some people here would like to have them

I watched a movie to, and the sound signature of the X2 is so similar to the teaters ones. Big soundstage and full bodied bass. That was really surprising.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,508 of 15,268
So i tried the X2 today..
I liked them very much, except the pads.
they go over my ear and cover them completely, but are'nt soft enough.
because the pads are big they push a bit on my jaw joint area near the ears which make it uncomfortable for me.
but im sure with softer pads it will be alot better.

so any recommendations on a set of pads for the X2?

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,509 of 15,268

because the pads are big they push a bit on my jaw joint area near the ears which make it uncomfortable for me.

When I first got mine, they bothered my jaw a bit too. But I soon got used to them. Or they broke-in somewhat.  Later now, when I put them on, I move the cups up, and forward a bit and they're good that way for long listening sessions. 

The Brainwavz HM5 replacement pads will fit on the X2's, but it's a struggle to get them on.  They are softer too but I don't recommend them myself.  I don't think they sound as good as the stock.  Even after I struggled to get them on, and after listening to them for only a few minutes, I yanked them off. 
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #5,510 of 15,268
I'm interested on that usb regen, and i think it can improve the quality of the X2 the way the some people here would like to have them

I watched a movie to, and the sound signature of the X2 is so similar to the teaters ones. Big soundstage and full bodied bass. That was really surprising.

The Regen brings out even more detail and dynamics along with a much fuller sound with a pitch black background.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #5,512 of 15,268
After having had my pair for a few days, I noticed a fuller sound from the left cup. I downloaded Signal Gen for my iPhone to make sure I wasn't making things up and it showed a 3dB difference in the sub-bass from 30 to 50mHz. It's not enough for me to return them, especially since they mention such a long break-in period. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #5,513 of 15,268

When I first got mine, they bothered my jaw a bit too. But I soon got used to them. Or they broke-in somewhat.  Later now, when I put them on, I move the cups up, and forward a bit and they're good that way for long listening sessions. 

The Brainwavz HM5 replacement pads will fit on the X2's, but it's a struggle to get them on.  They are softer too but I don't recommend them myself.  I don't think they sound as good as the stock.  Even after I struggled to get them on, and after listening to them for only a few minutes, I yanked them off. 
frown.gif

Well, i dont think i can tolerate the stock pads and im not sure i will get used to them.
its a deal breaker for me, if you cant wear the headphones it dosent matter how good they are :frowning2:

i have SONY MDRV55 and they are not comfortable.
after a few minutes they already starting to hurt my ears and i even replaced the pads but still not even close to comfortable.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,514 of 15,268

the bass plus pads on ebay is abit softer than the original,   I'm very happy with my pair. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,515 of 15,268
hello,
whats the best way to improve the X2's, if a get a 100€ dac without amp it will improve on my soundcard? do i need a amp?
at max i want to spend 250€ what are my options?

the schiit stack or the o2 dac amp are good options or a just a dac?

thanks

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #5,516 of 15,268
  hello,
whats the best way to improve the X2's, if a get a 100€ dac without amp it will improve on my soundcard? do i need a amp?
at max i want to spend 250€ what are my options?

the schiit stack or the o2 dac amp are good options or a just a dac?

thanks

I'm running my X2 on my Aune T1 amp/dac that's from ebay,  around 140-160€ there.  Really good for the price and they have ran all headphones I'v tried on it beautifully. 
But I would totally buy the schiit stack if they weren't so expensive in Europe,  just to try them.

I also like that I can have and run my stereo speakers on the aune T1 also and just use the switch to change between headphones or speakers. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #5,520 of 15,268

I dont think your DAC+Amp should cost more than your headphones. That said, even a schiit fulla could power these properly.

You can't really be happy unless you spend thousands of dollars on gear...

But seriously, I have the Schiit M/M2 stack, and a Fiio E07K. I can't really tell the difference between those and my laptop's headphone out (Asus UX305 with "audio by ICEPower") using the X2. I haven't seriously tried to either, but nothing obvious. Fulla or some Fiio DAC/amp may make a difference if your computer's audio is particularly crappy.

The question is always, do you want to enjoy music, listen to gear, or acquire status items. Nothing wrong with any of these goals, you have to decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back