Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 31, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,476 of 15,268
Hi,

I own both
The results in sound depends on the end to end chain: dac + amp + headphones
I used to own a Schiit Asgard: quite good with the T1 (body, weight in the bass, but average clarity and details)
I own a Teac HA-501: sound is too thin with the T1 (not enough body, bass impact, lack of power) - the Teac is very good with the X2 which is 32 ohms only (easy to drive) and the nature of the X2 is a little bit bassy (but not by much)

So if I had to stop here, I would choose the X2 ! (it's also very good with my ibasso dx50 dap)
X2 + Teac gives a nice full sound with great bass + good mids + good trebles

But, following headphone amps reviews and advices, I finally bought an "Icon audio HP8 MKII" tube amp (Innerfidelity review), and I was rewarded !!

The T1 with this wonderful tube amp reveals its fabulous skills: strong and accurate bass, glorious mids, fine trebles, great soundstage, fabulous clarity and details, and vibrrrrrrant sound !

Now I practically use the X2 with my ibasso dx50 only when I'm on trip or on holidays...

T1 + Icon audio is on another level
and X2 + Icon is good but gives too much bass (due to the slightly bassy nature of the X2)

I must also say that the Icon audio is very very good with my AKG K550 and my older Beyer DT880

To summarize, in my opinion:
X2 + Teac = 7/10
T1 + Icon = 9.5/10

The dac I use is a HRT streamer II+

T1 is a wonderful beast (soundstage, clarity, mids, treble, and bass quality > X2), whatever type of music you listen to

Don't throw your T1 by the window, try it with a good tube amp and let us know :wink:

The T1 is another leage, no wonder.
They might be similar in Soundstage though because both have tilted drivers.
X2 is very friebdly HP but doesnt scale much.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #5,477 of 15,268
Lol nice comparision, but X2 is still impresive compared to HPs if its price range. He-560 is almost 3x the price...

redface.gif
 Thanks. I was trying to be a little "figurative"
smily_headphones1.gif
 Yes, X2 is a great $300 headphone. HE-560 is probably the best $900 headphone. Then there are headphones in between these two price points.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #5,478 of 15,268
The T1 sounded in the same league as the X2. I find the upper mid-fi to hifi to just be different flavours. Yes some image better than others and some also have better extension but as a complete package, including more musical; the X2 is a bettr headphone I think. All Beyers just so unatural and forced.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #5,480 of 15,268
The T1 sounded in the same league as the X2. I find the upper mid-fi to hifi to just be different flavours. Yes some image better than others and some also have better extension but as a complete package, including more musical; the X2 is a bettr headphone I think. All Beyers just so unatural and forced.

Did you use a DAC or AMP when you tested them both out?

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #5,481 of 15,268

Hey nicolo! Could u plz compare HE 560 to X2? I'm very interested in comparison of bass impact(slam) and mids on these cans. I have X2 and love it, but im considering to buy HE 560.

The HE-560's tonality is neutral and balanced, while the X2 is warm with a midbass hump. The HE-560 has better bass extension but doesn't hit as hard as the X2s due to the lack of a midbass hump like the X2s. They're also much more resolving and detailed than the X2s. You get to hear more nuances through the HE560s compared to the X2s.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #5,482 of 15,268
Hello everyone,

I own a Zune 120 and I use the Zune Pass music subscription with it. To my knowledge, there is no way to get a portable amp to work with this Zune. Because of that, I am limited to low impedance headphones. I am currently using the Grado SR-60i, which I consider to be about the best portable headphone (but definitely still just an "entry" headphone [as opposed to mid-fi or summit]). But I was recently introduced to the Philips Fidelio X2 headphone, and it seems to generally compete with the Sennheiser HD 600, which is recognized as about the best mid-fi 'phone. The Philips Fidelio X2 is low impedance (30 ohm) and supposedly sounds decent un-amped with portable players.

My questions are these.

Is this the only low-impedance (un-amped, portable decent), mid-fi headphone in existence? If not, what are the names of the other headphones?

My Zune 120 files are 196 kbps WMA quality. Is the Fidelio X2 too high quality to make files of this quality sound good?

Is the Philips Fidelio X2 a HUGE upgrade in SQ (highly noticeable to the common hearing man) over my Grado SR-60i? After all, the Fidelio X2 ($300) does cost quite a bit more than my Grado headphones ($80).

Thanks!!

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #5,483 of 15,268
  Hello everyone,

I own a Zune 120 and I use the Zune Pass music subscription with it. To my knowledge, there is no way to get a portable amp to work with this Zune. Because of that, I am limited to low impedance headphones. I am currently using the Grado SR-60i, which I consider to be about the best portable headphone (but definitely still just an "entry" headphone [as opposed to mid-fi or summit]). But I was recently introduced to the Philips Fidelio X2 headphone, and it seems to generally compete with the Sennheiser HD 600, which is recognized as about the best mid-fi 'phone. The Philips Fidelio X2 is low impedance (30 ohm) and supposedly sounds decent un-amped with portable players.

My questions are these.

Is this the only low-impedance (un-amped, portable decent), mid-fi headphone in existence? If not, what are the names of the other headphones?

My Zune 120 files are 196 kbps WMA quality. Is the Fidelio X2 too high quality to make files of this quality sound good?

Is the Philips Fidelio X2 a HUGE upgrade in SQ (highly noticeable to the common hearing man) over my Grado SR-60i? After all, the Fidelio X2 ($300) does cost quite a bit more than my Grado headphones ($80).

Thanks!!

There are probably a lot more low impedance headphones then there are high impedance headphones.

Pretty much any quality headphone will make your 196 kbps files sound good.

It's only the upper high end ones that will reveal every detail, good o bad in a recording or rip.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #5,484 of 15,268

With all respect I think that yours is a very subjective opinion based on sound preference and not on objective facts. We need to be a little more careful when calling headphones "better" then others. Right now I have a T1 at hand for audition, FWIW. I also still have my X2 (sold). I have been doing some comparisons yesterday and today between T1, X2, HD650 and HE-400i. It is true that T1 has that so called "Beyer sound" but it is very resolving, clean, and "powerful" headphone and has better and more precise imaging. X2 is unfortunately simply not there. So for me they are not in the same league. 

Even T90 outperforms X2 easily in pure technical terms. The sound  is more balanced, detailed, has better tonality. Both Beyers are IMHO very musical headphones too in spite of some "bright" colorations in their sound. X2 is just much more colored and grainy throughout. X2 is still a great headphone for $300. It is of course better than some more expensive headphones too but not T1.

FWIW of those headphones I have at hand right now 400i is my personal favorite in terms of sound; best complete package, still maybe not as resolving as T1. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #5,485 of 15,268
Imaging doesn't mean a better headphone. The Q701 images better than most headpgones yet, it has a unatural sound. The HD800 is another that souhds forced. The T1 is better at imaging for sure, the X2 is a fuller sound. They image quite close to be honest but die to the thinner mod range and thin top end it is easier to pick out details on the T1.

I would take the X2 any day, more natural, more seductive mids. It comes down to what you want it for.

I also liked the HE400i. It was a little drier than the HE-500 and didn't have the best bass extension but it was a better complete package! Especally in build. I would still prob have to pick the X2 mainly due to it's smoother tuning. It is a little rough up top but a little warmed pumped into it and it's very HD600 lioe.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #5,486 of 15,268
It comes down to what you want it for.

Of course. My opinions are solely based on music listening and nothing else. Mostly acoustic music, classical and jazz. I was quite unimpressed with X2 from the beginning (compared to my HD600) and hoped that the graininess would disappear with break-in and other more compatible amplifier. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. The impression of overblown bass that intrudes the midrange is still here. That doesn't work well with voices, acoustic guitars, violins and cellos for example. The treble on X2 is, IMHO, not clean either; there is an artificial color to it that I just can't ignore. X2 is a balanced and easy on the ear headphone, I agree, but not sufficiently high fidelity as I'd like it to be. Just to put my two cents in
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,487 of 15,268
  Of course. My opinions are solely based on music listening and nothing else. Mostly acoustic music, classical and jazz. I was quite unimpressed with X2 from the beginning (compared to my HD600) and hoped that the graininess would disappear with break-in and other more compatible amplifier. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. The impression of overblown bass that intrudes the midrange is still here. That doesn't work well with voices, acoustic guitars, violins and cellos for example. The treble on X2 is, IMHO, not clean either; there is an artificial color to it that I just can't ignore. X2 is a balanced and easy on the ear headphone, I agree, but not sufficiently high fidelity as I'd like it to be. Just to put my two cents in
smily_headphones1.gif

This was similar to my experience as well, and is why I am returning them.  What would you describe as a better X2?  Something like it only without the bloated bass and grainy treble?  I have my eye on a 400s and HD650 too try next.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5,488 of 15,268

This was similar to my experience as well, and is why I am returning them.  What would you describe as a better X2?  Something like it only without the bloated bass and grainy treble?  I have my eye on a 400s and HD650 too try next.

I haven't heard HE-400S yet (if you are referring to the latest $299 dollar version). Actually, the sound signature of X2 is quite nice if you can ignore the graininess and the intruding lows. Both HD650 and HE-400i are cleaner and more natural sounding headphones imho. Neither of them lacks bass and with 400i the bass is nicely textured and controlled. 400i has more extended highs and better defined bass than HD650 and has a sound signature that is closer to X2 but is overall much cleaner with smoother transition between low end and mids. The midrange of HD650 is more forward than 400i and X2 so the latter are easier on the ear for longer listening sessions. I chose HE-400i over X2 and would do so any time. I suggest you should try to listen to HE-400i, HE-400S, HE-500, HD650, HD600, LCD2.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5,489 of 15,268
Long time since I've posted and I've been lurking for a few months now... but...

It's funny how each person's tastes differ so much. I listened to the HD-650 and HD-600 versus the X2 using a Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB and Solo -R with a DAP (the place where I buy my headphones has this setup) using flac, and to me the X2 sounded better (at least in that setup) because of the additional bass impact and what I felt was the same mids with the wide sound stage I liked. It sounded more fun to my ears and was more lively versus the 2 aforementioned. The sound stage for all 3 was about dead even but the HD600 was more bright up top compared to the X2. I was supposed to get either the HD-600 or HD-650 that day, but after the listening session (over an hour), I decided that it was best to go the route of buying the X2 considering my requirements and tastes! I felt sad leaving the store (I was really dead set on buying either the 600 or 650) but happy to get the X2. The best part, I found a guy in my area who preferred his Shure 1540 and sold his X2s for $178, which is a steal in my opinion!

I don't like bright highs and prefer mids and some bass, I felt the difference was very little to differentiate the 3 (maybe more so if one used a tube amp), but for my setup at home and when I go travelling the X2 fit the bill perfectly!

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,490 of 15,268
I think most diferences in headphone taste's come from type of music person listen to. I just love my X2 with metal i listen to and also DT 880. HD 600 to me lacks bass impact and vocals sound too shouty, also think sonudstage is kinda small. With some vocals(male) i feel like the guy is shouting directly to my ear canal and the rest of the band is in the other room.
But with softer music and female vocals HD 600 sounds beautyfull and seductive.
Here is oportunity to share croatian folk band Afion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back