Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,462 of 15,268
Anyone with a X2 owned a Beyerdynamic T1 as well?
I have a T1 now, but don't have my X1 anymore to compare it with & wanted to know from people who owned both what they thought.
I was undecided on the X2 & though I would spend more & get the T1, but now I'm having buyer's remorse. It cost 3 times as much as the X2 & I'm pretty sure it is not 3 times better.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #5,463 of 15,268
I have a T1 now, but don't have my X1 anymore to compare it with & wanted to know from people who owned both what they thought.
I was undecided on the X2 & though I would spend more & get the T1, but now I'm having buyer's remorse. It cost 3 times as much as the X2 & I'm pretty sure it is not 3 times better.

Don't feel bad. I had the Sennheiser HD700's and my HD558's take massive dumps all over them in everything but comfort.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #5,464 of 15,268
  They bleed after build up of sweat and the oils in your skin. I took a little coconut oil and rubbed a white cloth over them. Now I have a blurple rag!

Oh, I see. I tested mine when they were relatively new.  No blood. 
wink_face.gif
I have about 50-70 hrs on them now.  I'll have to test again.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #5,465 of 15,268
Fwiw, the X2 pairs nicely with the Marantz HD-DAC1, which was my main reason for upgrading in the first place.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,466 of 15,268

Hi,

I own both
The results in sound depends on the end to end chain: dac + amp + headphones
I used to own a Schiit Asgard: quite good with the T1 (body, weight in the bass, but average clarity and details)
I own a Teac HA-501: sound is too thin with the T1 (not enough body, bass impact, lack of power) - the Teac is very good with the X2 which is 32 ohms only (easy to drive) and the nature of the X2 is a little bit bassy (but not by much)

So if I had to stop here, I would choose the X2 ! (it's also very good with my ibasso dx50 dap)
X2 + Teac gives a nice full sound with great bass + good mids + good trebles

But, following headphone amps reviews and advices, I finally bought an "Icon audio HP8 MKII" tube amp (Innerfidelity review), and I was rewarded !!

The T1 with this wonderful tube amp reveals its fabulous skills: strong and accurate bass, glorious mids, fine trebles, great soundstage, fabulous clarity and details, and vibrrrrrrant sound !

Now I practically use the X2 with my ibasso dx50 only when I'm on trip or on holidays...

T1 + Icon audio is on another level
and X2 + Icon is good but gives too much bass (due to the slightly bassy nature of the X2)

I must also say that the Icon audio is very very good with my AKG K550 and my older Beyer DT880

To summarize, in my opinion:
X2 + Teac = 7/10
T1 + Icon = 9.5/10

The dac I use is a HRT streamer II+

T1 is a wonderful beast (soundstage, clarity, mids, treble, and bass quality > X2), whatever type of music you listen to

Don't throw your T1 by the window, try it with a good tube amp and let us know :wink:

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #5,467 of 15,268
Hi guys,

I wanted to know that whether the ink bleed from earpads is still an issue with these cans or whether it was a particular batch or something because I really want to buy these headphones and the only thing that stopping me from getting my pair is this issue.

Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #5,468 of 15,268

I own both but I don't really use them for the same purpose so both are staying.  The X2 is really versatile and gets use with both portable and home sources.  It's my go to can for convenience and flexibility, it is not however my first choice for in depth music listening.  The T1/HE500 are my go to's for music, both retrieve more details than the X2.  I also feel that both are more neutral than the X2.  If you don't have need/desire to run your full sized can's from a portable/low power source I think you made the right choice with the T1.   While the X2 is a killer value leader <$500 I don't think it can compete in the $700+ category.  T1 is an end-game can for a lot of people.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,470 of 15,268

Hi,

I own both
The results in sound depends on the end to end chain: dac + amp + headphones
I used to own a Schiit Asgard: quite good with the T1 (body, weight in the bass, but average clarity and details)
I own a Teac HA-501: sound is too thin with the T1 (not enough body, bass impact, lack of power) - the Teac is very good with the X2 which is 32 ohms only (easy to drive) and the nature of the X2 is a little bit bassy (but not by much)

So if I had to stop here, I would choose the X2 ! (it's also very good with my ibasso dx50 dap)
X2 + Teac gives a nice full sound with great bass + good mids + good trebles

But, following headphone amps reviews and advices, I finally bought an "Icon audio HP8 MKII" tube amp (Innerfidelity review), and I was rewarded !!

The T1 with this wonderful tube amp reveals its fabulous skills: strong and accurate bass, glorious mids, fine trebles, great soundstage, fabulous clarity and details, and vibrrrrrrant sound !

Now I practically use the X2 with my ibasso dx50 only when I'm on trip or on holidays...

T1 + Icon audio is on another level
and X2 + Icon is good but gives too much bass (due to the slightly bassy nature of the X2)

I must also say that the Icon audio is very very good with my AKG K550 and my older Beyer DT880

To summarize, in my opinion:
X2 + Teac = 7/10
T1 + Icon = 9.5/10

The dac I use is a HRT streamer II+

T1 is a wonderful beast (soundstage, clarity, mids, treble, and bass quality > X2), whatever type of music you listen to

Don't throw your T1 by the window, try it with a good tube amp and let us know :wink:

Therein lies the problems, that amp is $999. It costs more than the actual headphone!
I have the Asgard 2, which sounds great with the T1, but it got me wondering exactly how much is it really better than the X2.

I'm also getting conflicting answer on whether to either get a high end DAC or a high end AMP to get the most out of the T1.
If I need to spend another $1,500 to make it really better than the ~$300.00 X2, I not sure it is worth it.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,473 of 15,268
Hi guys,

I wanted to know that whether the ink bleed from earpads is still an issue with these cans or whether it was a particular batch or something because I really want to buy these headphones and the only thing that stopping me from getting my pair is this issue.

I have not had an issue with mine. Read the last few pages of this thread for some discussion on this topic. If that is your only concern. Press the buy button now.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,474 of 15,268
I have not had an issue with mine. Read the last few pages of this thread for some discussion on this topic. If that is your only concern. Press the buy button now.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back