Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 1, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #5,491 of 15,268
The HD650 has a mid bass hump which is the reason the lower mids are thick. To say the X2 bleeds into the mids but the HD650 doesn't is false.

I like a little mid bleed which is why I like the HD650 better than the X2. I think both are similar in tone with the HD650 being smoother due to it's tamer treble.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #5,492 of 15,268
The X2 is slight U shaped and HD650 more flat.
Hd 650 has a dry bass and the X2 has more full bodied bass.
They are diferent.
But with a tube buffer both gain a cool bass and more extended and controled.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #5,493 of 15,268
Imaging doesn't mean a better headphone. The Q701 images better than most headpgones yet, it has a unatural sound. The HD800 is another that souhds forced. The T1 is better at imaging for sure, the X2 is a fuller sound. They image quite close to be honest but die to the thinner mod range and thin top end it is easier to pick out details on the T1.

I would take the X2 any day, more natural, more seductive mids. It comes down to what you want it for.

I have a similar experience with the T1, but everyone is saying you need a high quality dac & amp to unlock its potential.

Amping with a Schiit Asgard 2 didn't really do much to my Philips. Sounded a little better, but not a huge margin.
Same with my T1, it sounds better on the Asgard 2, but not a huge difference. Not enough to set it in a league ahead of the Philips.

People are saying I need to get a $600-$700+ amp & then the sound will scale much better on the T1 & eclipse a headphone like the X2, which probably won't benefit too much from high end amps.

Not sure paying close to a grand for a headphone & then paying another grand to get it to work like it should, is worth it when the base headphone is on the playing field of the sub $300 X2.

So torn on whether to go ahead & upgrade my equipment or sell my T1 & get the X2 instead.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,494 of 15,268
People exaggerate way too much. I found the T1 to not even scale that much, more of a signature change. Expectation bias seems to affect so many people on this forum it's hard to actually see what the facts are. I remember when I first heard the Sennheiser ORP. People where saying how incredible they are because of the 30,000 and higher price tag! They were good but didn't sound better than the 1-2k phones I've heard previously.

The whole scaling thing is another myth. In my experience, if people have a headphone long term and by a different amp; they will say it scales regardless if it really does or not! Expectation bias is a tricky thing.

People expect the T1 to sound great because it's an expensive headphone. They hear this slight extra detail whether it's artificial or not and thing woww the details is amazingg, much better than my HD650 or whatever.

I think the HD650 is the most natural sounding headphone when it comes to the human voice. It also has one of the more engaging and beautiful tones in any headphone. It isn't a detail monster but it shows you what you need to hear, it doesn't go out of it's way to trick you into thinking you are hearing something unnatural.

The X2 is close to that but has a slightly unrefined treble. The T1 and HD800 all sound so dry and false. No matter what amp, they are both not even difficult to drive and I've had them on amps costing double the headphone and they still sound similar. Amps only help so much.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #5,495 of 15,268
People exaggerate way too much. I found the T1 to not even scale that much, more of a signature change. Expectation bias seems to affect so many people on this forum it's hard to actually see what the facts are. I remember when I first heard the Sennheiser ORP. People where saying how incredible they are because of the 30,000 and higher price tag! They were good but didn't sound better than the 1-2k phones I've heard previously.

The whole scaling thing is another myth. In my experience, if people have a headphone long term and by a different amp; they will say it scales regardless if it really does or not! Expectation bias is a tricky thing.

People expect the T1 to sound great because it's an expensive headphone. They hear this slight extra detail whether it's artificial or not and thing woww the details is amazingg, much better than my HD650 or whatever.

I think the HD650 is the most natural sounding headphone when it comes to the human voice. It also has one of the more engaging and beautiful tones in any headphone. It isn't a detail monster but it shows you what you need to hear, it doesn't go out of it's way to trick you into thinking you are hearing something unnatural.

The X2 is close to that but has a slightly unrefined treble. The T1 and HD800 all sound so dry and false. No matter what amp, they are both not even difficult to drive and I've had them on amps costing double the headphone and they still sound similar. Amps only help so much.

Just out of curiosity, why are you selling your X2?

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #5,497 of 15,268

Exactly!

I have been a speaker guy my whole life. I just got a pair of headphones for late night listening, but I have grown really fond of them and listen to them all the time. One thing that I have noticed with “higher end” headphones, of which a consider the X2 to be a part of despite it's low price, is that there is no major jump in quality, just a different sound signature as you move up. Let me explain, like speakers there is component synergy and a sound signature. I think the X2s are plenty detailed and refined when I compare them to some critical speakers like my Yamaha NS-1000M monitors run by a .005THD dual-mono, non switching low bias amp. I am the type of audiophool who cares more about a sound signature that I can enjoy, rather than seeking a totally flat response or perfect surgical sound.

I have tried the X2s with many different sources and I finally found one that makes them exceptional to me. I think it is a little troubling watching people buy all these expensive headphones chasing the white rabbit so to speak. I can see owning different headphones for different sound signatures and music. I think you really have to find the sound signature that you like and work on finding the right amp to drive your chosen set of cans if you want extra sound quality. This is not easy. If you don't like your X2s I don't think any amp will change this. Just throwing your money at more expensive headphones I don't feel will give you a major return on sound quality if you already like your X2s. The X2s will sound amazing with some amps and poor with a lack of refinement, detail and dynamics with others. Same thing with speakers. I own several amps. Some speakers sound amazing on one amp and poor on another. With speakers, for me, I found the most important thing for sound quality is a high-current amp. Watts told you very little about how the amp could handle changing impedance curves and transients. Since the X2s are low impedance, I would make a guess that the current of the amp would play a major factor in how the driver performs. Any good headphone is going to have that extra special quality or lack of it depending on whats driving it. I would take everything I hear with a grain of salt and be leary on spending 1000s hoping to find that elusive “sound”. If you dig the X2s sound signature, try to find what works with them to make them really special. This may be more productive than buying new headphones to squeeze out a negligible improvement. I am also not saying that the X2s are the best set of headphones ever, or that they are superior in any way. I think amp synergy/capability tends to be discounted in evaluating or improving a set of cans. Though I have very limited experience with how different amps work with different sets of headphones. I personally found the X2's extension, bass and treble quality to vary depending on the amp used.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,498 of 15,268
The X2 is a great allrounder, providing very good bass, very good mids and very good treble, even from a mid-fi dap such as the DX50 ibasso - the X2 with its 32 ohms is very easy to drive

This is not the case of the T1 indeed ! This one is a bit more complicated !

One of the most recommended budget amp for the T1 is the Bottlehead crack
It's been said many times that the T1 loves tube amps, and it seems to be true, at least based on my own experience with the Icon audio

Now the X2 with a good mid-fi SS amp gives very good results !!

It also depends on what you're looking for, in terms of sound characteristics ! The X2 is slightly on the bassy side, while the T1 provides less quantity but more accuracy and strong focus impact in the bass department

If I had to summarize again regarding T1 vs X2, I would say that the T1 - with the right amp - is able to provide a better level of: soundstage, clarity, balanced sound, natural sound

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #5,499 of 15,268
In my audio chain, the treble region has no graininess and the bass sounds muscular and well defined. My current audio chain for the X2:

Laptop (JPLAY 6.2 Alt) > Uptone Audio USB Regen (Amber) > iBasso D7 > X2

With this chain, the X2 sounds utterly spectacular with movies and movie soundtracks. Was watching Fast & Furious 5 a couple of days. The bass control and dynamics, vocals, treble and soundstage were absolutely perfect.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,501 of 15,268
Aug 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5,502 of 15,268
That's a crazy deal ($185!), I'm almost tempted to get a second pair
wink.gif

Yeah 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It's hard to find better headphones for $185.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,503 of 15,268
That's a crazy deal ($185!), I'm almost tempted to get a second pair
wink.gif

Yeah 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It's hard to find better headphones for $185.

Bought a pair today for 1590 SEK/$185! Great price indeed:thumbup: So now I have both the L2 and X2 hps but will probably sell the L2s.

I just tapatalked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back