Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 7, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #5,537 of 15,268
  The bass on these is good and bad, bad because it causes quite a vibration and makes the earpads rattle against my face, almost tickles me... only really notice it on the right.

hehe 
beyersmile.png

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5,538 of 15,268
Hey are there any open, over ear phones out there that come close to the X2 for $100 to $150? Used X1 maybe?

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,540 of 15,268
  The bass on these is good and bad, bad because it causes quite a vibration and makes the earpads rattle against my face, almost tickles me... only really notice it on the right.

Hahaha !
o2smile.gif

Same for mine, it vibrate a lot on both ears. And to be honest, I love it. It's like a massage for your ears.
But for me, it's on both side.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #5,543 of 15,268
  So i tried the X2 today..
I liked them very much, except the pads.
they go over my ear and cover them completely, but are'nt soft enough.
because the pads are big they push a bit on my jaw joint area near the ears which make it uncomfortable for me.
but im sure with softer pads it will be alot better.

so any recommendations on a set of pads for the X2?

Where did you try the X2 at? Like is there a store that you can try?

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #5,545 of 15,268
The X2s are great, but there was some grittiness in the treble that was bothersome.  It doesn't help that I'm seemingly sensitive to any exaggerated treble.  I was listening to the LCD-2s much more but periodically found myself going back to the X2s since I appreciate their soundstage which I feel is lacking on the LCDs.  So, fast forward to last week when I purchased the new JDS Labs Element Amp/DAC (only using the amp section right now) and the Meridian Director now that it's down to $350 on Amazon.  Can't stop listening to this setup with the X2s.  Any gripes I had with the X2 are now gone..  sounds excellent.  I'm more satisfied with this than the Burson HA-160D mated up to the LCD2.2s.  For about $1k, I couldn't be happier.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #5,546 of 15,268
   I find the treble of the X2 to be quite fickle, or variable, if you will. This is because the earpads have lots of space which lets you move the cans all around. When I scoot the X2 backward on my head, the treble becomes more laid back and smooth. And when I scoot the X2 forward, the treble comes forward; mostly upper treble. So I get to choose how much treble I get!
dt880smile.png

The Q701 is kinda similar with its circular earcups, but not as extreme. I guess it must have something to do with the angled drivers of the X2 o.O.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #5,547 of 15,268
     I find the treble of the X2 to be quite fickle, or variable, if you will. This is because the earpads have lots of space which lets you move the cans all around. When I scoot the X2 backward on my head, the treble becomes more laid back and smooth. And when I scoot the X2 forward, the treble comes forward; mostly upper treble. So I get to choose how much treble I get!
dt880smile.png

The Q701 is kinda similar with its circular earcups, but not as extreme. I guess it must have something to do with the angled drivers of the X2 o.O.

You're absolutely right. I wish I was able to measure the effect on the FR but the treble seems a little more laid back when I scoot them back on my head!

I'd agree it must be something to do with the drivers.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #5,548 of 15,268
  The X2s are great, but there was some grittiness in the treble that was bothersome.  It doesn't help that I'm seemingly sensitive to any exaggerated treble.  I was listening to the LCD-2s much more but periodically found myself going back to the X2s since I appreciate their soundstage which I feel is lacking on the LCDs.  So, fast forward to last week when I purchased the new JDS Labs Element Amp/DAC (only using the amp section right now) and the Meridian Director now that it's down to $350 on Amazon.  Can't stop listening to this setup with the X2s.  Any gripes I had with the X2 are now gone..  sounds excellent.  I'm more satisfied with this than the Burson HA-160D mated up to the LCD2.2s.  For about $1k, I couldn't be happier.

Yes!  Just wanted to back you up on this.  The more hrs I put on my X2's and amp (Vali), the better it sounds.  Should be 50-70 bout now. Once you find an amp/dac pairing that works well with these, the sound is addicting.  During the day while working on something, I'm thinking about what I'm going to listen to later.  And can't wait for the time to come.  Most mention the bass when praising these, and soundstage, but I'm also loving the detail they produce.  I get lost in the euphony. But in the end, I'm all about that bass, bout that bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,549 of 15,268
Agreed, the bass, soundstage and excitement of the X2s are a pleasure.  I've had the 650's which were a nice, non-fatiguing sound profile for me but minimal soundstage.  I'd spend up to about 1500 for phones if I could get basically the X2s with a smoother treble response.  Tried the 800's but the treble killed me.  I kinda want to try the upcoming T1s but am reading they are a bit bright as well.  Oppo PM-1/2 look interesting but really have no idea if they'll tick all the boxes.  I find it interesting that the X2s at $299 have hit the most qualities I'm looking for.  If the X3s smooth out the treble a bit, I may be done....for a little while anyway.  
wink.gif
  Any suggestions on another hp to try??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back