Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,301 of 15,268
  I think they do, at least to a point. I saw improvement all the way up my line.

Schiit Magni 2 Uber > JDS Labs cMoy > Kenwood stereo receiver > Little Dot 1+.

Not saying that's the order of the component quality but that's the order of the sounds quality I got. Between the first three...it's real close. The Magni just pumps out so much power it's crazy and to my ears really opens to the X2 up. Takes everything that the X2 is and improves it. Again, not leaps and bounds but a noticeable amount. So I guess they do respond well to power because really overall I have a pretty low-fi system so I can't say how they scale with higher quality gear. 

Question is for you and/or anyone else who is using the X2 with a Magni 2 Uber: On the low gain setting, how much range do you have with the volume control?

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,302 of 15,268
Um, yes they are. THEY have a website for customer service and repair of their products. Philips usa. And the headphones is on that website. The seller is not responsible after 30 days. Maybe where you're from, but in AMERICA, companies give usually one year manufacturers warranty. Philips manufactured the X2.

If they're gonna have a customer service section in their website, they need to tend to it.

That's the European way baby, get used to it. Only Apple takes care of products bought directly from Apple Store. Otherwise, mostly we take the item to the seller to get it repaired or changed. It's common practice.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,303 of 15,268

That's the European way baby, get used to it. Only Apple takes care of products bought directly from Apple Store. Otherwise, mostly we take the item to the seller to get it repaired or changed. It's common practice.

Or bin it as the seller is gone by now :wink: or not accepting returns or he will and will never give u back. I do not remember in 20 years speaking to customer service on any of the products I've purchased. Its quicker to sell them:wink: then get repaired. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3,305 of 15,268
Yeah, Paypal always screws the seller up 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,306 of 15,268
Few days ago I had a question so I got on the chat and was talking to someone within 5 minutes of connecting. They weren't terribly helpful but I did talk to someone.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,307 of 15,268

Question is for you and/or anyone else who is using the X2 with a Magni 2 Uber: On the low gain setting, how much range do you have with the volume control?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but the volume goes from silent to ear shattering. I usually keep mine on high gain just because, but low gain gives the X2 all my ears could possibly handle without permanent damage and then some.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,308 of 15,268
  Not sure exactly what you are asking but the volume goes from silent to ear shattering. I usually keep mine on high gain just because, but low gain gives the X2 all my ears could possibly handle without permanent damage and then some.

Question being, due to the low sensitivity, at what position on the dial does the volume become too loud? For example some say that you will not be able to turn the volume control much at all with a low impedance headphone before it is too loud. I have seen 8 o'clock mentioned by others, but not many have provided input.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,309 of 15,268
I called Philips right after I bought the x2. I wanted to know about replacement pads. They wanted my name address and phone number before they would eveN talk to me. After giving them my bogus info, I found out that they didn't have pads for Sale.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,311 of 15,268
My X2 is sometimes a tiny bit sibilant on my Beresford Bushmaster 2, never, ever on my Violectric V200..

Anyone else who has tested the X2 on different amps (or maybe just connected straight to a PC) and noticed a difference in that regard?
I'd be interested to hear which amps could be a good fit for the X2.

But in any case, mine is now barely a week old, so who knows, maybe further burn-in is going to help a bit with like likes of "Take a chance on me".

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,312 of 15,268

My X2 is sometimes a tiny bit sibilant on my Beresford Bushmaster 2, never, ever on my Violectric V200..

Anyone else who has tested the X2 on different amps (or maybe just connected straight to a PC) and noticed a difference in that regard?

But in any case, mine is now barely a week old, so who knows, maybe further burn-in is going to help a bit with like likes of "Take a chance on me".

Well, I'm at around 95-100hours of burn-in right now and I tried to plug x2 directly in my Clipzip which isn't a analytic/overbright source..the little sibilance is still there.
Of course I'm not speaking about a HUGE problem, but it's here for me.

Sunday evening I will reach ~200hours of burn-in and I will update you about my findings :wink:

At the moment I can really recommend this pair of cans for movies and games but for music I still have some doubts and have to decide whether if in the same price range there are other better options or not (for my taste HD600 could be a viable and better option)

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,313 of 15,268

Question being, due to the low sensitivity, at what position on the dial does the volume become too loud? For example some say that you will not be able to turn the volume control much at all with a low impedance headphone before it is too loud. I have seen 8 o'clock mentioned by others, but not many have provided input.

Gotcha. Depending on the track, generally, the noon position is about as far as I go. 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock is my preferred listening volume. I get everything I need out of the headphones soundwise and it blocks out everything going on around me. 2 o'clock is max for my ears and I wouldn't listen to them that loud except for the very occasional song. 8 o'clock is really low but loud enough if you just want some background noise while studying or messing around on the internet but you don't want/need to block out everything around you. 7 o'clock is silent and turned down all the way. Won't go any lower than this. 

High gain, just take the above and subtract one. 7 is silent, 8 is loud for general listening, 9-10 is where I prefer to block out everything, 12 is absolute max.

Again, this is give or take depending on the track.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,314 of 15,268

JDL Labs cMoyBB (OPA2227 opamp) is great. Schiit Audio Magni 2 Uber is great. Little Dot 1+ is too warm but I have warm tubes and a warm opamp. Kenwood stereo receiver is really good. That's my experience.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #3,315 of 15,268
To those in the US, good luck getting in contact with Philips if your X2s get messed up. They never answer the phone, nor ever, ever connect to the chat once the request for assistance goes through.

At this point, I'm mad enough to order another X2, putting the faulty one in the new box, and telling Amazon that it's defective. Hey, at least they'll be able to send it back to them. Screw them. This is the last Philips ANYTHING I ever buy. I'll get a warranty through Squaretrade before I deal with Philips.

Been trying for 3 straight days at different online hours. The phone even hangs up.

Weird. Had really good experiences with customer service here. Maybe it's just bad from America. If so, that's a shame.
Just try sending an email maybe. Answered mine in 2 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back