Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,286 of 15,268
  In regards to some people, including me, wanting to put the modmic 4.0 directly on the X2. (without the base clamp)

Response from Philips when I asked them to figure out if it could possibly damage or influence the drivers in any way:

U heeft ons gevraagd of u een modmic 4.0  direct zonder het tussenstukje op het metaal van de koptelefoon kan plaatsen.
Philips heeft dit even uitgezocht en het blijkt dat het mogelijk is zonder dat het eventuele schade bengt aan het apparaat.
Ik hoop dat mijn antwoord u een oplossing heeft geboden. Mocht u verder nog vragen of opmerkingen hebben,
aarzel dan niet om contact met ons op te nemen.

Translation: Philips did some research and came to the conclusion that this is going to have no influence at all on the headphones.

So yea, already though it would be fine, but nice to hear from them directly that it really is.

I used the magnetic base on HD558, DT990 and currently K612 with(what I can tell) no issues at all. The adhesive while very strong, never left ANY residue and was reusable. I will use the modmic on my X2s when they get here until the K7XX get here.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,287 of 15,268
  I used the magnetic base on HD558, DT990 and currently K612 with(what I can tell) no issues at all. The adhesive while very strong, never left ANY residue and was reusable. I will use the modmic on my X2s when they get here until the K7XX get here.

I knew that with the baseclamp on there it's no issue. Have it on my 990's as well.  However, this was about using it without the baseclamp, (possibly tiny bit stronger magnetism then) directly on the grill. Don't want to stick the adhesive with baseclamp on my X2's if I don't have to. They are to nice looking for that :p So know I can just stick them on there like this, without any concerns:

http://imgur.com/a/yHKVJ (not my pictures)

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,288 of 15,268

I knew that with the baseclamp on there it's no issue. Have it on my 990's as well.  However, this was about using it without the baseclamp, (possibly tiny bit stronger magnetism then) directly on the grill. Don't want to stick the adhesive with baseclamp on my X2's if I don't have to. They are to nice looking for that :p So know I can just stick them on there like this, without any concerns:

http://imgur.com/a/yHKVJ (not my pictures)

Oh, cool! Roger that. I may have to give that a shot.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,290 of 15,268
To those in the US, good luck getting in contact with Philips if your X2s get messed up. They never answer the phone, nor ever, ever connect to the chat once the request for assistance goes through.

At this point, I'm mad enough to order another X2, putting the faulty one in the new box, and telling Amazon that it's defective. Hey, at least they'll be able to send it back to them. Screw them. This is the last Philips ANYTHING I ever buy. I'll get a warranty through Squaretrade before I deal with Philips.

Been trying for 3 straight days at different online hours. The phone even hangs up.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,291 of 15,268
To those in the US, good luck getting in contact with Philips if your X2s get messed up. They never answer the phone, nor ever, ever connect to the chat once the request for assistance goes through.

At this point, I'm mad enough to order another X2, putting the faulty one in the new box, and telling Amazon that it's defective. Hey, at least they'll be able to send it back to them. Screw them. This is the last Philips ANYTHING I ever buy. I'll get a warranty through Squaretrade before I deal with Philips.

Been trying for 3 straight days at different online hours. The phone even hangs up.

:wink:

You bet your butt I'll do the same thing if they go bad out of Amazon's replacement period.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3,292 of 15,268
Seriously, what kind of frigging company is this? They don't answer ANY of the lines (it will hang up by itself after you wait long enough), and chat is useless as well.

Then people wonder why they have to resort to their own loopholes.

You guys in the US better pray your headphones don't mess up.

edit: I may just end up keeping them. The more I listen to it, the more I feel like I'm overreacting. It actually goes dead silent on one side at about 30hz. The rest is slightly off to the left side until 50hz, where it evens up, finally being basically perfectly balanced at 60hz.

There really isn't much that hits at 30hz or less (30hz being pretty quiet at normal listening levels regardless), and 40hz and up are quite fine in general.

It's not perfect, but it's not a total dealbreaker. The meat of the X2's bass is over 60hz anyways. I honestly didn't hear the imbalance in general, especially in gaming (the Mixamp cuts off at 35hz), and since I basically only play games and watch shows, I can live without ultra low bass (the X2 isn't proficient at lowest bass anyways, the last bit of really in the mix bass being at 40hz here).

Still, a shame on Philips for the horribly non-existent customer service.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #3,293 of 15,268
I feel your pain, MLE.  I've abandoned my "morals" long when it comes to situations such as yours.  Big corporations, even small are all in it for $$$.  Yeah, I'll use my own devices to get my way as the big corps can afford to absorb the costs.  As far as customer service with Amazon, I hate to stick it to them as they seem to ALWAYS take care of me.  But, in the end, they can absorb the cost probably more so than Philips.

Got my cans last night and put them head to head with my Sennheiser HD598.  Both sound superb.  I'll give more time before I comment on any differences or which is better in what regard.  Obviously bass is just done better with the X2.  Toward the end of my listening session I may go so far as to say much better.  At first the 598's surprised me with the low tones they can reproduce, albeit at a lower dbl.  Still there...that is, until one song in particular demonstrated the x2 to be superior.  

Being that speakers cause me to listen to music I normally wouldn't, I was listening to Madonna's "Vogue" and the bass was just boom or muddy as all get out, like a loose fart in the wind on the Senns.  The x2 nailed that bass.  This coming from a semi-decent MP3 (I know...) played from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and through USB to my dac/amp Fiio E18 Kunlun.  Yes I had lots of flac to listen to but this bass note on this particular song opened my eyes, or should I say, ears.

Last night I got down with some XboxOne and CallofDuty Advanced Warfare and it sounded more engaging than my HD598's but I have never had the volume up that high with them as I did with the X2's last night.  I didn't give the Xbox much time to come away with a more specific preference, but give the edge thus far to the X2's.

I'm burning them at home unattended to see what changes take place if they have not already.  Also, my box from Amazon did come sealed.  Glued on one end and two tape seals on the other.  The headphone cable didn't look nicely wound as do most everything else these days.  All in all, they are brand new.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,294 of 15,268
Seriously, what kind of frigging company is this? They don't answer ANY of the lines (it will hang up by itself after you wait long enough), and chat is useless as well.

Then people wonder why they have to resort to their own loopholes.

You guys in the US better pray your headphones don't mess up.

edit: I may just end up keeping them. The more I listen to it, the more I feel like I'm overreacting. It actually goes dead silent on one side at about 30hz. The rest is slightly off to the left side until 50hz, where it evens up, finally being basically perfectly balanced at 60hz.

There really isn't much that hits at 30hz or less (30hz being pretty quiet at normal listening levels regardless), and 40hz and up are quite fine in general.

It's not perfect, but it's not a total dealbreaker. The meat of the X2's bass is over 60hz anyways. I honestly didn't hear the imbalance in general, especially in gaming (the Mixamp cuts off at 35hz), and since I basically only play games and watch shows, I can live without ultra low bass (the X2 isn't proficient at lowest bass anyways, the last bit of really in the mix bass being at 40hz here).

Still, a shame on Philips for the horribly non-existent customer service.

Shame on Philips for crappy customer service.  At this point, I'd just return them by whatever means available.  Admit it, the sub bass imbalance will gnaw away at your soul.  :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,295 of 15,268
It will. Bass imbalances get me every time. The few songs that rely on it... I can really tell...

Like this one...

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBBETgrBeDc[/VIDEO]

After like 1:18, on that particular bass hit (the lowest bass in the song), the sub resonance is only audible on my left cup...

That song showcases some really good, control in sub bass. ALmost all the bass in the song is dead center on my X2, just that particular sub note is only on the left.

This is one of my test tracks, and coincidentally exposes the lack of sub bass on many headphones, because it's like you're missing half the song when you listen off a bass shy headphone.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,296 of 15,268
The company that sells Fidelio headphones in the USA is not Philips, but Woox Innovations, a Dutch company.

In the Netherlands it's the standard to let the seller take care of any problems with the headphone (or any other device). The manufacturer is not responsible in this case.

Edit: I would mail Woox innovations directly on their website, they usually respond pretty quick.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,297 of 15,268
Um, yes they are. THEY have a website for customer service and repair of their products. Philips usa. And the headphones is on that website. The seller is not responsible after 30 days. Maybe where you're from, but in AMERICA, companies give usually one year manufacturers warranty. Philips manufactured the X2.

If they're gonna have a customer service section in their website, they need to tend to it.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3,298 of 15,268
Um, yes they are. THEY have a website for customer service and repair of their products. Philips usa. And the headphones is on that website. The seller is not responsible after 30 days. Maybe where you're from, but in AMERICA, companies give usually one year manufacturers warranty. Philips manufactured the X2.

If they're gonna have a customer service section in their website, they need to tend to it.

You could send them an email here: https://www.woox.com/en/contact/contact-us 

They usually respond pretty quickly (in the Netherlands, that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back