Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3,316 of 15,268
It's interesting you mention ABBA songs as problematic with sibilance.  When I first got my HE500s, I noticed some songs had a high vocal sibilance that almost sounded (or did sound distorted).  This was especially noticeable on songs such as "Super Trouper" and "Take A Chance On Me".  It discouraged me, and I thought of returning the HE500s.  What I found was this sibilance was there on all my headphones.  Cheap or expensive it was always there.  I also noticed it on the high background vocals on Annie Lennox's "Why".  If you listen carefully to the remastered "Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel you will also hear lead vocal sibilance.  In this case, it is not distorted, but clearly more noticeable than other recordings.  Again, I hear it on all my headphones (Alpha Dogs, HD600. HE500, T1 and X2).

I believe it is the source recording and mastering.  I would hesitate to blame the headphone unless sybillance is annoying on all, or most of your source recordings.  That's just one man's opinion.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #3,317 of 15,268
I believe it is the source recording and mastering.  I would hesitate to blame the headphone unless sybillance is annoying on all, or most of your source recordings.  That's just one man's opinion.

Just curious, did you try this over multiple amplifiers as well? Were some better than others, or did you find it relatively consistent?

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,318 of 15,268
To those in the US, good luck getting in contact with Philips if your X2s get messed up. They never answer the phone, nor ever, ever connect to the chat once the request for assistance goes through.

At this point, I'm mad enough to order another X2, putting the faulty one in the new box, and telling Amazon that it's defective. Hey, at least they'll be able to send it back to them. Screw them. This is the last Philips ANYTHING I ever buy. I'll get a warranty through Squaretrade before I deal with Philips.

Been trying for 3 straight days at different online hours. The phone even hangs up.

Man, I'll tell ya about my (ongoing) experience with Philips customer support - I have been calling for the last several days for basic warranty replacement information, and got on the phone line with someone pretty quick every time - the only thing was that EVERY SINGLE PERSON I got on the line with "couldn't hear me" and "would have to disconnect the call" - I finally got through to someone last night before their hours closed, and still had intermittent periods of "the line breaking" - all this due to some kind of upgrade to their phone lines.  Today I spoke with a rep. who was able to hear me the whole time.  I am having my X2s replaced under their "rapid replacement" warranty program, and here is what I had to do and what I have learned:
1)State issue at hand
2)Give them basic information (name, address, phone number,etc...) 
2)Give them model/serial number info (Fidelio X2/27 in this case, S/Nxxxxxxxxx)
3)State purchase date (within year for warranty service)
4)Was informed about their "rapid replacement program"(details below)
4)Was told to send proof of purchase (screenshots of order details and photo of serial number on box) to a particular email address (POP@pnf-usa.com)
5)After sending these attachments, I have to call back and have them verify that they have received this information before proceeding with their "rapid replacement" program
***GET INCIDENT NUMBER FROM THEM TO FOLLOW UP WITH***

Here's what I'm a bit on edge about: their rapid replacement program will put a $1 pending charge on my credit card and send me a replacement pair of X2s before I send my defective X2s back (in my case, the bolts at the base of the headband are loosening through normal use, and I can't seem to disassemble them via some previous advice given in this forum).  Once I receive the new X2s, I then have 20 days to return my defective X2s so they don't charge my card for the full price of the cans.  I have read some pretty awful return stories involving philips' return services, but have never heard of their rapid replacement program until speaking with a rep.
I am at the stage of having sent my screenshots of Proof of Purchase, and will call tomorrow to see if they have "validated" that information.  
Any other perspective/thoughts on this situation?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #3,319 of 15,268
How did you contact them? Can I get that info? I tried both on the phone and chat service, and they wouldn't answer either. 3 straight days.

I've been had all that info (chat asks that you have that stuff on hand, basically). If only they frigging answered...

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,323 of 15,268
What, man?  **** was sounding pretty sweet tonight when I got home.  Was reading the newest review on these on Amazon and the gentleman mentioned putting on Bassgasm (Techmaster PEB, presumably) so I decided to play it from my library as well.  When I listened to the part where the bass slows down and goes lowest, what I hear from the X2's is like a "bwooeehw, bwooew woew woew woew woew woew".  Just as it's spelled, that's what I'm hearing.

Put on my Senn 598's on the Fiio e18 and it's handling the bass better than the X2 now.  What?  No, headphones aren't blown and I haven't even turned them up super loud and no clipping or distortion or anything.  Now this.  Grrrr...

Gonna go audition summore.

ETA, the sound Bwoooew woew woew sounds like a damn didgeridoo.

Here, it sounds just like this youtube video starting out.  Exactly this mixed in with the sub-bass.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,325 of 15,268
happy to help! the number is 1-866-309-5962 - press 1 then 2...you should get a rep shortly after that... This number was given to me by the chat agent I reached miraculously at one point...

Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,326 of 15,268
Can anyone else give her a go with Bassgasm and see if you have the same "didgeridoo" issue I outlined above?  I'd appreciate it much.  It could be blaring, but like I said, my Senn 598's handle the same bass with no issue.

Like around the 2:07 mark...

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,327 of 15,268
  Here's my issue by the way...  bolt loosening, and can physically hear it rattling now - getting looser as I walk around with them on - I wear these all day every day at my work...
[snip]

There's a sort of flathead grove on the head of the bolt, you could try modding a paper clip or something similar to tighten it.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,328 of 15,268
  Can anyone else give her a go with Bassgasm and see if you have the same "didgeridoo" issue I outlined above?  I'd appreciate it much.  It could be blaring, but like I said, my Senn 598's handle the same bass with no issue.

Like around the 2:07 mark...
[snip]

Doesn't sound like a didgeridoo with the X1's.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,329 of 15,268
Yeah, I've gotta see if my x2's are the only pair that do it.  Bassgasm is one of my all time favorite, from back in the '90's when I was boomin' from my Lincoln Mark VII up to today.  I love listenin....no, FEELING this beat from all my car/truck stereo's and especially on my Vintage Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's.

In the meantime, anyone try a little Blue Six on these cans?  Nice.  I do like it better than my 598's.  Obviously better in flac, but here ya go...

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,330 of 15,268
  There's a sort of flathead grove on the head of the bolt, you could try modding a paper clip or something similar to tighten it.

Totally, I'll give that a whirl - Ideally I'd like to get in there fully and secure with threadlocker, but attempting to remove the cups via those plastic flat-headed caps on either side of them didn't work out so well (didn't loosen via counter-clockwise motion - seems to be "plugged" in somehow, attaching to the rods that the cup swivels on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back