Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 19, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #5,356 of 15,268

Picking out instruments does not mean larger sound stage, it just means it is more revealing. Q701 and K7xx has such a large sound stage that it loses details into the distance. It's like I'm listening to the X2 and all of a sudden I am like woah that wasn't there before...Was it? Now the soundstage is noticeably smaller on X2 than AKG's , but it is far enough for my ear to not sound clustered like for example ATH PRO700MK2 does, it is so close that it's just a mess.

For those curious AGK VS X2 Gaming wise. I will tell ya in few days once I have played around to begin with. :D

Did i say larger stage meant picking out instruments easier..? No... I said it was probably the angled drivers helping out. Also it is quite a revealing headphone, yes. The DT990 and T90 sound thin in comparison, especially in the midrange. I have also previously owned a pair of K602's and i agree the soundstage was pretty darn impressive on them.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #5,357 of 15,268
Grado's are known for being quite bright and also for having pretty narrow soundstage for open headphones, go figure......

I find the statement that brighter headphones always have better soundstage than less brighter ones not to be in line with my own experience. To me it's a false statement.

Just my 2c.....

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #5,358 of 15,268
Grado's are known for being quite bright and also for having pretty narrow soundstage for open headphones, go figure......

I find the statement that brighter headphones always have better soundstage than less brighter ones not to be in line with my own experience. To me it's a false statement.

Just my 2c.....

I agree! Grado is a perfect example of that.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #5,359 of 15,268
  Though, one reason for returning my X2 back to the shop would be because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrDhs-Tkm8

I left my X2 on a sheet of white paper during the last night and there were patches of black/dark purple ink on the paper (after 8 hours). I wouldn't like to get that into my skin. 

Anyone else who has had a similar experience?

It's a very common issue and has to due with the dye used in the pads.  Phillips official response is that it is not harmful to humans and they even have a new gray pads coming out that should correct this issue.  

While it is not supposed to be harmful, someone several pages back did some digging and while it is within european standards, it may not meet usa guidlines.  I'm not sure about all that though, someone more knowledgeable in this would have to reply.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #5,360 of 15,268
  It's a very common issue and has to due with the dye used in the pads.  Phillips official response is that it is not harmful to humans and they even have a new gray pads coming out that should correct this issue.  

While it is not supposed to be harmful, someone several pages back did some digging and while it is within european standards, it may not meet usa guidlines.  I'm not sure about all that though, someone more knowledgeable in this would have to reply.

+1

This issue were discussed many times and I have to add to the previous post:

1- A member removed the earpads and washed them (using cool water and mild soap or shampoo). This way he eliminated "ink bleed" issue...

2- A member advised to put socks over the earpads to avoid direct skin contact (several pages back, please check).

3- Two members (including me) experimented different brand earpads.

IMO: first route is the easiest and cheapest.

PS: Sorry that I couldn't remember the user names of the mentioned information.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5,361 of 15,268

Just my 2c.....
Sorry my friend, but you dont understend... Pick up any bright cans and eq highs all way down. It become claustrofobic and loose air! Pick up dark phones and eq bass down and highs up and it becomes more airier and expansive. I tried that, ofcourse headphones design is most important! But at the same desing, the tinner the sound = soundstage is better.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #5,362 of 15,268

+1

1- A member removed the earpads and washed them (using cool water and mild soap or shampoo). This way he eliminated "ink bleed" issue...

2- A member advised to put socks over the earpads to avoid direct skin contact (several pages back, please check).

Which diff brand earpads that are fit and compatible with the X2? Since you're experimented with it.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,363 of 15,268
Sorry my friend, but you dont understend... Pick up any bright cans and eq highs all way down. It become claustrofobic and loose air! Pick up dark phones and eq bass down and highs up and it becomes more airier and expansive. I tried that, ofcourse headphones design is most important! But at the same desing, the tinner the sound = soundstage is better.

I'm equally sorry but I still find that statement wrong and extremely over simplified.

I have extensively AB'ed the X2's and the SR325is and there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that;

A: The Grado's are brighter.
and
B: The X2's have a significant better soundstage in all directions.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #5,364 of 15,268

+1

Thanks for your response. I guess I will try the first option and see if the dye stops bleeding. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,365 of 15,268
I'm equally sorry but I still find that statement wrong and extremely over simplified.

I have extensively AB'ed the X2's and the SR325is and there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that;

and

I had the exact same experience after auditioning Grado SR325e. The Sennheiser HD600 that I own are brighter than X2. Nevertheless X2 has a larger soundstage, both width and depth. So I agree with you Peter. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #5,367 of 15,268
  Which diff brand earpads that are fit and compatible with the X2? Since you're experimented with it.

The Brainwavz HM5 will fit. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDX4YO?psc=1  I got them to go on but it was a bit of a pain.  You have to stretch the rubber around the body of the earcup on the X2.  It took me about 10 min.  There are posts a ways back describing others experiences.  

They're not for me.  As to comfort, that's a personal thing.  I didn't think they were more comfortable. Too squishy. Too much seal.  As for sound, to my ears they completely ruined it.  Everything sounded muffled.  The X2s lost their tightness in the bass and highs were veiled. That's my take. YMV

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5,368 of 15,268

and

Why do people say better when they mean bigger? No one listens to grado's for a massive soundstage, they listen to them for the intimacy and feeling close to the action.

I own both the X2 and 325is and both serve their purposes.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,369 of 15,268
Why do people say better when they mean bigger? No one listens to grado's for a massive soundstage, they listen to them for the intimacy and feeling close to the action.

I own both the X2 and 325is and both serve their purposes.

I don't know what you mean with your comment on bigger/better but I do agree with your statement that they both serve their purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back