Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #5,373 of 15,268
What you guys who own a X2 would say is the next logical step up from it?

In terms of same type of sound signature, but bigger & better.

Like the next level of the X2's musicality & fun.

Anyone auditioned any $500+ headphones that you would consider fits that?

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,374 of 15,268
What you guys who own a X2 would say is the next logical step up from it?

In terms of same type of sound signature, but bigger & better.

Like the next level of the X2's musicality & fun.

Anyone auditioned any $500+ headphones that you would consider fits that?

My next step will probably be HE560 or Mr. Speakers Ether or Oppo PM1. I really want to try a nice set of planar magnetic.

Logical or not.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #5,378 of 15,268
Just bought the Fidelio X2 off Amazon, was a Prime day special so I just said sure why not.

Coming to these from the Shure SE535 in ears. Since I was so used to the Shures it was a shock to my system to hear such a wide soundstage. They also have a really nice kick in the mid and low sections slow jazz and chill type music sounds wonderful and warm, Rhapsody in Blue sounds great. They also reveal quite a bit more detail than the Shures, the SE535s are very warm and easy to listen to for hours, they're also completely wonderful for blocking out noise when on a plane or commuting on the train. However, when I'm sitting at my desk at home or work and just want to kick back and listen to something it's amazing to find out just what I've been missing out of certain tracks.
The only thing that's kinda harsh are the highs, cymbals and sky high female vocals sound particularly hissy to me and seem to lose some definition... I'm pretty sure the Shures masked it with their warmth and of course I'm so used to those that it's probably just my ears that need to be re-tuned... I'm just not used to it.
Unfortunately (fortunately?) my old mp3s from the 90's sound like total crap. I can hear all the pops and noise caused by my old 4x CDROM drive when I ripped the CDs. (wish I still had the CDs) I could hear it with the Shures too but it was somewhat bearable.

Anyway for the price I'm not at all disappointed. Their build quality is outstanding and they're very comfortable, I have no doubt I'll get hours of enjoyment out of them.
They don't need an amp and are easily driven by my laptop's soundcard or my phone but I'll probably be picking up a amp/dac stack of some kind anyway just to see if it makes a difference, certainly couldn't hurt.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #5,379 of 15,268
Got these on the Prime day deal. Generally very impressed. I think these are a great complement to my HD600. The sound stage is larger, bass quantity is increased and generally more pleasing than the HD600. However sometimes it can be looser bass than the HD600 depending on the song. The highs are a little more harsh, though still quite detailed. I noticed the harsh highs when listening to idioteque by Radiohead. Vocals do not sound nearly as smooth on the X2 in comparison to the HD600. Above and Beyond's female vocals sound so silky smooth on the HD600s, but with the X2s I could pick up on some rough qualities - not sure if this speaks to better accuracy of the X2s or just variable reproduction of the sound. The HD600s sound more natural.

Overall, at home I will be listening to the HD600s for rock, the X2s for EDM and hip hop. Another huge benefit of hte X2s i that they are only 35 ohms of impedance, therefore they sound quite good out of my phone or computer. When I travel and want to be able to listen to music in the hotel room, this is a huge plus, since I don't like lugging around an amp.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,380 of 15,268
  Got these on the Prime day deal. Generally very impressed. I think these are a great complement to my HD600. The sound stage is larger, bass quantity is increased and generally more pleasing than the HD600. However sometimes it can be looser bass than the HD600 depending on the song. The highs are a little more harsh, though still quite detailed. I noticed the harsh highs when listening to idioteque by Radiohead. Vocals do not sound nearly as smooth on the X2 in comparison to the HD600. Above and Beyond's female vocals sound so silky smooth on the HD600s, but with the X2s I could pick up on some rough qualities - not sure if this speaks to better accuracy of the X2s or just variable reproduction of the sound. The HD600s sound more natural.

Overall, at home I will be listening to the HD600s for rock, the X2s for EDM and hip hop. Another huge benefit of hte X2s i that they are only 35 ohms of impedance, therefore they sound quite good out of my phone or computer. When I travel and want to be able to listen to music in the hotel room, this is a huge plus, since I don't like lugging around an amp.

I had similar impressions from the beginning comparing my Senn HD600 to X2. Things got better after a 40+ hours burn in. But still HD600 is a more forgiving headphone I believe and everything sounds nicer on it compared to almost any other headphone (save the HD650). I haven't listened to Kid A through my X2 yet but I have it on CD and can do it today and give you my impressions if you'd like. 
X2 has 30 Ohm impedance 
wink.gif
 It says so on the box.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #5,381 of 15,268
My next step will probably be HE560 or Mr. Speakers Ether or Oppo PM1. I really want to try a nice set of planar magnetic.

Logical or not.

I put the X2, HD650, and HE500 in the same "club".  I think people who like one can and will like the others.  You can still snatch an HE-500 for $500.  If your amp has the horsepower I say go HE500.  Dear god that bass is beautiful... oh so beautiful... mmmm planar bass... [drools on keyboard]

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #5,382 of 15,268

I have been comparing my X2, HD600 and HD650  using this Radiohead record and some other stuff, mostly acoustic, jazz and classical. I am using a high grade source (Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite). This player also has a very nice DAC. The amp I am using is MF X-Can V3.

The Sennheisers have more natural sound which can be attributed to their fairly flat frequency response. HD600 and 650 are noticeably brighter than X2 which also makes them sound more detailed. I prefer vocals through HD6xx; they just sound clearer and more natural, more refined in mids and treble. You can hear more nuances in the vocals and in the The largest difference is still the fact that the treble is as you say harsher sounding on X2. Sound of cymbals or violins has a richer and more life-like character on HD6xx. The greatest pro of X2 related to HD6xx is the bass. The bass of X2is deeper and better defined. That is nice for acoustic jazz. 

To make things even more complicated
biggrin.gif
 I borrowed Beyerdynamic T90 which are regarded more hi-end than my Senns and X2. Of course this is also evident in how T90 sounds. T90 is clean and clear with impeccable, smooth treble and deep and textured bass. Very refined but lighter sounding than my headphones. Vocals on T90 are delicious and imaging is really pin point. T90 has a smaller soundstage than X2 (IMO). T90 costs $100 more than X2 and $50 more than HD650 but is probably well worth the extra price given the high end character of their sound. 

EDIT: I use Matrix M-Stage for T90

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #5,383 of 15,268
  I have been comparing my X2, HD600 and HD650  using this Radiohead record and some other stuff, mostly acoustic, jazz and classical. I am using a high grade source (Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite). This player also has a very nice DAC. The amp I am using is MF X-Can V3.

The Sennheisers have more natural sound which can be attributed to their fairly flat frequency response. HD600 and 650 are noticeably brighter than X2 which also makes them sound more detailed. I prefer vocals through HD6xx; they just sound clearer and more natural, more refined in mids and treble. You can hear more nuances in the vocals and in the The largest difference is still the fact that the treble is as you say harsher sounding on X2. Sound of cymbals or violins has a richer and more life-like character on HD6xx. The greatest pro of X2 related to HD6xx is the bass. The bass of X2is deeper and better defined. That is nice for acoustic jazz. 

To make things even more complicated
biggrin.gif
 I borrowed Beyerdynamic T90 which are regarded more hi-end than my Senns and X2. Of course this is also evident in how T90 sounds. T90 is clean and clear with impeccable, smooth treble and deep and textured bass. Very refined but lighter sounding than my headphones. Vocals on T90 are delicious and imaging is really pin point. T90 has a smaller soundstage than X2 (IMO). T90 costs $100 more than X2 and $50 more than HD650 but is probably well worth the extra price given the high end character of their sound. 

EDIT: I use Matrix M-Stage for T90

So you prefer T90 above all? 
smile.gif
 I've always found it too bright for my tastes. If you have the chance, also audition Fidelio L2. It's a brighter, some would say a more Hi-Fi sound. You might enjoy it more than X2. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,384 of 15,268
So you prefer T90 above all? :smile:  I've always found it too bright for my tastes. If you have the chance, also audition Fidelio L2. It's a brighter, some would say a more Hi-Fi sound. You might enjoy it more than X2. 

Yes. I love the resolution of t90. It is a more high end sounding can to my ears.

EDIT: It's not only the balance of the sound but even the accuracy, imaging, presence, the "resolving power". Now I wonder how T1 sounds like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back