Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 18, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,341 of 15,268
  Yea currently im using Aurisonics ASG-2.5 IEM, I heard that any headphone would beat any high end expensive IEM in soundstage for gaming.  So that's why im looking at headphones right now.
The ones that im interested so far are Philip X2, Sennheiser HD700, Beyerdynamic T1.

So I'm thinking about selling this Aurisonics ASG-2.5 IEM and get one of those headphones.  But it's so hard to choose.

X2 is better than the other two. Honestly, given their price HD700 and T1 are really disappointing headphones which are far from being class leaders. Sennheiser and Beyer had better up their game, otherwise Philips is going to kick their ass sooner or later in dynamic-headphone-land.

Fidelio X2 has a massive soundstage and is perfect for gaming, but I'd also like to add that Earsonics Velvet has a very big soundstage as an IEM, bigger than many full size headphones.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,342 of 15,268
  Compared to DT990: The soundstage of X2 is is bigger, wider and larger. The sound is also smoother and darker.

How can a darker sounding headphone has the larger soundstage? That is the first thing you lose when you go for a darker sounding headphone in this price range. I don't have the DT-990 but I have the DT-880 and it has a wider soundstage than the X2.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,343 of 15,268

X2 is better than the other two. Honestly, given their price HD700 and T1 are really disappointing headphones which are far from being class leaders. Sennheiser and Beyer had better up their game, otherwise Philips is going to kick their ass sooner or later in dynamic-headphone-land.

Fidelio X2 has a massive soundstage and is perfect for gaming, but I'd also like to add that Earsonics Velvet has a very big soundstage as an IEM, bigger than many full size headphones.

I have the X2, Q701, DT-880 and HD598. The X2 does not have a massive soundstage. Maybe coming from other inferior cans the X2 might sound massive. In any case, soundstage difference shouldn't really be described as massive. The differences are minor but differentiable when comparing headphones $200 street price and up.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,344 of 15,268

I have the X2, Q701, DT-880 and HD598. The X2 does not have a massive soundstage. Maybe coming from other inferior cans the X2 might sound massive. In any case, soundstage difference shouldn't really be described as massive. The differences are minor but differentiable when comparing headphones $200 street price and up.

I also have had K701, K501, DT880 and X2 has a comparable soundstage. Not DT990. X2 has definitely richer sound than the other headphones mentioned which can be perceived as a "massive soundstage" by some people. 

How can a darker sounding headphone has the larger soundstage? That is the first thing you lose when you go for a darker sounding headphone in this price range.

DT880 for instance is a brighter sounding headphone than K701. K701 still has (what I perceive) a larger soundstage. I wouldn't say that there is a definitive correlation between brightness and soundstage volume. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #5,345 of 15,268

You said the Earsonics Velvet iem has a very big soundstage for an IEM and bigger than many full size headphone? ARe you sure about this? What about the Aurisonics ASG-2.5 compare to the Velvet?
I always thought IEM soundstage is no match for full size headphone no matter what IEM it is and how expensive the IEM is.  

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #5,346 of 15,268

Now I'm confused.  So X2 or DT990 has bigger soundstage?  

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #5,349 of 15,268
  I also have had K701, K501, DT880 and X2 has a comparable soundstage. Not DT990. X2 has definitely richer sound than the other headphones mentioned which can be perceived as a "massive soundstage" by some people. 
DT880 for instance is a brighter sounding headphone than K701. K701 still has (what I perceive) a larger soundstage. I wouldn't say that there is a definitive correlation between brightness and soundstage volume. 

I agree that the K701 has a larger soundstage than the DT880 (I have the 250 ohm version).
But at the same time, the K701 is brighter sounding to my ears.  One of the reasons I prefer
the DT880.  (Also because the DT880 has a bit more bass.)

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5,351 of 15,268
I have owned both the DT990 and T90s.. the X2 has a wider stage then both, pretty sure its the angled drivers. I can easily pick out instruments with it. The T90 and DT990 have more treble and sound a hell of alot brighter. The T90 is a detail monster and gave me fatigue after 30mins use.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #5,352 of 15,268
After burning in my X2 for the past 30 hours, I have to say I am quite impressed.  The bass has tightened up quite a bit, my first impression was it was rather muddy sounding.  

How do these sound when amped really well?  I've got a Magni/Modi uber stack on its way.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #5,353 of 15,268
I have owned both the DT990 and T90s.. the X2 has a wider stage then both, pretty sure its the angled drivers. I can easily pick out instruments with it. The T90 and DT990 have more treble and sound a hell of alot brighter. The T90 is a detail monster and gave me fatigue after 30mins use.

Picking out instruments does not mean larger sound stage, it just means it is more revealing. Q701 and K7xx has such a large sound stage that it loses details into the distance. It's like I'm listening to the X2 and all of a sudden I am like woah that wasn't there before...Was it? Now the soundstage is noticeably smaller on X2 than AKG's , but it is far enough for my ear to not sound clustered like for example ATH PRO700MK2 does, it is so close that it's just a mess.

For those curious AGK VS X2 Gaming wise. I will tell ya in few days once I have played around to begin with. :D

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #5,354 of 15,268
  After burning in my X2 for the past 30 hours, I have to say I am quite impressed.  The bass has tightened up quite a bit, my first impression was it was rather muddy sounding.  

How do these sound when amped really well?  I've got a Magni/Modi uber stack on its way.

I am in the same situation. I have had X2 with me since Tuesday and they have improved quite a bit after about 40+ hours in use. A direct comparison with HD600 today is not that flattering for my HD600 (or HD650 for that matter). I like X2. Now I don't hear any problems using my Marantz SACD as a source. X2 really needs some burning in. It is a little darker than HD600 but still has a somewhat wider (and deeper) soundstage. You also get a better perception of space around the instruments and the ambience with X2. That is something I couldn't get with any of AKG Q/K7xx series either or with the dry and bright Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ohm). X2 is also a very musical headphone. A little colored (as all the above mentioned) but very musical. 

I am now mainly using them with my Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 which is a splendid hybrid headphone amplifier capable of driving really anything. Its cheap as chips now (used cost ) and better than almost anything up to $400-500.

I am really happy that I didn't return my X2 after the first two days. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #5,355 of 15,268
Though, one reason for returning my X2 back to the shop would be because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrDhs-Tkm8

I left my X2 on a sheet of white paper during the last night and there were patches of black/dark purple ink on the paper (after 8 hours). I wouldn't like to get that into my skin. 

Anyone else who has had a similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back