Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,386 of 15,268
Does anyone know if the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Velour Earpads will fit with the X2? Like anyone that has both  and can compare the size? I would like to buy the X2 but I just don't like the Black Velour, they're so easy to get dirty.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #5,388 of 15,268
  This may be a long shot but..... does anyone use these headphones with the creative ZxR sound card? If so what is a good sbx surround % for music and gaming.

I use the Sound Blaster X7 with my X2. Don't turn on SBX, ever, for music. I don't use it for gaming either as I find the games I play provide enough directional audio already. SBX destroys sound quality. But if you want, start around 66% for gaming. The X2 is good enough to not have to use the crystalizer.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #5,389 of 15,268
Yes. I love the resolution of t90. It is a more high end sounding can to my ears.

EDIT: It's not only the balance of the sound but even the accuracy, imaging, presence, the "resolving power". Now I wonder how T1 sounds like
smily_headphones1.gif

Go on Amazon and purchase a used pair from Warehouse Deals, then return it. If you conscience isn't in the way, that is. Even their own customer service department said it's okay.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #5,393 of 15,268
Based on this article

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nwavguys-heaphone-amp-measurement-recommendations

you will need 23mW to reach 110 dB SPL, which is considered to be sufficient.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #5,395 of 15,268
I am loving my X2s. I am driving them with a modded Little Dot 1+ with a Muse 02 opamp. To my ears this is a match made in heaven. I have been a speaker guy most of my life, but with this combo, I have been bitten by the headphone bug.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,397 of 15,268
  I am loving my X2s. I am driving them with a modded Little Dot 1+ with a Muse 02 opamp. To my ears this is a match made in heaven. I have been a speaker guy most of my life, but with this combo, I have been bitten by the headphone bug.

I'm curious about how Little Dot 1 perform with a X2. Is the output impedance a problem? there is  hiss or noise ? Can you listen in low levels with satisfactory details ? and the most important... how it sounds compared to a solid state amp ? 

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,398 of 15,268

To make things even more complicated
biggrin.gif
 I borrowed Beyerdynamic T90 which are regarded more hi-end than my Senns and X2. Of course this is also evident in how T90 sounds. T90 is clean and clear with impeccable, smooth treble and deep and textured bass. Very refined but lighter sounding than my headphones. Vocals on T90 are delicious and imaging is really pin point. T90 has a smaller soundstage than X2 (IMO). T90 costs $100 more than X2 and $50 more than HD650 but is probably well worth the extra price given the high end character of their sound. 

EDIT: I use Matrix M-Stage for T90

I had a T90 for a year and a half and moved to an HD600. Once you realize what things are supposed to sound like (HD600) you notice the slightly metallic sound of the T90.

I would make the same trade again any time. The HD600 has a far more natural, lifelike sound. I find it to be the superior headphone in all the ways I really care about. Tonality ended up mattering more than pure clarity or detail. It's a personal decision. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #5,399 of 15,268
  I'm curious about how Little Dot 1 perform with a X2. Is the output impedance a problem? there is  hiss or noise ? Can you listen in low levels with satisfactory details ? and the most important... how it sounds compared to a solid state amp ? 

The Little Dot 1+ is made for low impedance headphones such as the X2. It is a tube/solid state hybrid amp. It drives the X2s no problem. I also have a mk2 and it does sound ok, but not great. This is because it does not put out the current of the 1+, being a tube amp. My package says the X2s take a max of 500 MWs. The Little Dot will puts out 800MWs. Though to me, it feels like it put out a little more than this.

I think the Little Dot sounds amazing. It really gives definition and extension to the treble and bass. I also thought the detail, timbre and texture overall was improved. Music was more dynamic and had punch. This was felt even at lower volume levels. I feel this is due to the higher current and the lush timbre from the tubes in the Little Dot. I have four really nice speaker amps with headphone outs and a very good preamp that was designed for headphones. The little dot blows them all away to my ears. The purchase of this amp was what really made me enjoy headphones. My other sources sounded tame compared to the Little Dot. Oddly enough, my various speaker amps, did not transfer their quality to my headphones. For around $130 with shipping included on Amazon, its a great deal. I would recommend putting in a Muse 02 opamp from Mouser electronics or Digikey. I have tried several opamps including a discreet one. The Muse 02 easily beats them all to my ears and in my opinion, the modest investment takes the 1+ to a whole new level.

The amp is also DEAD quiet. You can get noisy tubes though. Some have a slight hum till you burn them in for 8 - 48 hours. I actually like the 6j1s it comes with after a little burn in. Tube preference is a very personal thing. The X2s seem very forgiving regarding their source.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,400 of 15,268

The Little Dot 1+ is made for low impedance headphones such as the X2. It is a tube/solid state hybrid amp. It drives the X2s no problem. I also have a mk2 and it does sound ok, but not great. This is because it does not put out the current of the 1+, being a tube amp. My package says the X2s take a max of 500 MWs. The Little Dot will puts out 800MWs. Though to me, it feels like it put out a little more than this.

I think the Little Dot sounds amazing. It really gives definition and extension to the treble and bass. I also thought the detail, timbre and texture overall was improved. Music was more dynamic and had punch. This was felt even at lower volume levels. I feel this is due to the higher current and the lush timbre from the tubes in the Little Dot. I have four really nice speaker amps with headphone outs and a very good preamp that was designed for headphones. The little dot blows them all away to my ears. The purchase of this amp was what really made me enjoy headphones. My other sources sounded tame compared to the Little Dot. Oddly enough, my various speaker amps, did not transfer their quality to my headphones. For around $130 with shipping included on Amazon, its a great deal. I would recommend putting in a Muse 02 opamp from Mouser electronics or Digikey. I have tried several opamps including a discreet one. The Muse 02 easily beats them all to my ears and in my opinion, the modest investment takes the 1+ to a whole new level.

The amp is also DEAD quiet. You can get noisy tubes though. Some have a slight hum till you burn them in for 8 - 48 hours. I actually like the 6j1s it comes with after a little burn in. Tube preference is a very personal thing. The X2s seem very forgiving regarding their source.

Amazing! Thanks for the review. 
What I'm really looking for is to improve X2's soundstage and midrange. I feel that sometimes my ears demand more. Dynamics are also expected hmmmm 
EDIT: 
Although M2U sounds good, it sounds too... well behaved. I want something more to make me feel the music :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back