Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #241 of 15,268
For hygiene purposes, removable pads allow us to wash them and depending on use, some can worn out very easily but I am not too sure about Philips's pads thought.

Billson

It's just the idea. When you have expensive headphones that have even great construction the earpads are the place where you will expect problems. If you can't take them out you feel like if something ever happen to the earpads it's end of the entire headphone.

I dunno about that Philips HP890 and how much you use them, but I know Sennheiser headphones and Beyer headphones and though their pads are very comfortable they get worn over time very noticeably, the difference between the old pads and brand new ones on the DT770 is huge and same for DT880 and HD650/HD600, not even talking about sound but about comfort.

Okay, thanks. Im using my Philps headphones everyday at work and yes they could use some cleaning but wear is minor.

Here in Sweden the X1 have a regular price on $297,89, there is however some companies that have them for $243,73. Im not really sure if I should wait on the X2 yet. I suspect that the X2 will cost about $338,51 the first 6 month here in Sweden.

I have talked to Philips and they say that the following is changed : Wider range of sound, Change in design, Better qullity leather for headband, replacable ear pads.

I have listen to a lot of headphones around the $67,70 price range and nothing even comes close to the Philips HP890(I supose that its the open characteristics and deep base I like). The Philips HP890 cost me about $60 2002 and its first now when the X1 came out that it looks like I found a replacement. So the "better" sound of X2 will probably make no diffrence for me but replacable pads is as you said a big plus.

Its possible to remove the ear pads on X1 with some work but the question is of the X2 pads will fit?

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #242 of 15,268
According to pictures X1/X2 pads should be 1:1 replaceable. And yes, X1 pads are also removable but it must be done with care at first time because there is glue added. I have removed my X1 pads several times and no problem.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #244 of 15,268
What I`ve learned during my time in head-fi and audiophile communities, is that headphones are actually pretty subjective thing and despite high reputation some cans may have, it might not sound good for everyone, even with proper amping/dac. Someone here lately said that X1 even sounds better than LCD2. Matter of taste :wink:

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #245 of 15,268
  According to pictures X1/X2 pads should be 1:1 replaceable. And yes, X1 pads are also removable but it must be done with care at first time because there is glue added. I have removed my X1 pads several times and no problem.

Okay, I have now talked to Philips and they says that the size is not the same so they do not know if it is possible to mount the X2 pads on X1. However even if the warrenty is out on a pair of X1 they are still able to fix broken pads on the X1, it will cost but its possible. 

I dont really know what to do, buy the X1 for a better price, white some more and by the X1 for even better price(hopfully) or just wait on the X2.

I am using hair wax so its possible I will have to replace the pads but the current headphones have worked out okay.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #246 of 15,268
a
  What I`ve learned during my time in head-fi and audiophile communities, is that headphones are actually pretty subjective thing and despite high reputation some cans may have, it might not sound good for everyone, even with proper amping/dac. Someone here lately said that X1 even sounds better than LCD2. Matter of taste :wink:

agree with this, and also some people who are already used to very hi- end stuff and suddenly trying lower tier would probably not like the lower tier, fact is people are rarely backwards compatible when it comes to taste for luxury. And people who got used to your average stuff would probably praise something better and to an extent overexaggerate it a bit. (not to offend anyone, just an example to what I've witnessed in reality on how people are and how they normally behave depending on circumstances).

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #247 of 15,268
Jimmy80, can I ask You how and exactly with who are You talking to from Philips?
According to pdf and released info I can see no difference in cup size and pads locking mechanism and pads size.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #248 of 15,268
  Jimmy80, can I ask You how and exactly with who are You talking to from Philips?
According to pdf and released info I can see no difference in cup size and pads locking mechanism and pads size.

Im talking to the UK Chat Support, a staff named Mike. Do you have any of these PDF available?

It sounds like I should buy the X1 for the cheaper price. The pads will be replacable one or the other way not just as easy as on X2.

I did not know about replacable pads at all before I began reading about the X2 so you could say that I am not a big headphone nerd(yet) :)

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #249 of 15,268
  Spec sheet: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x2_00/x2_00_pss_.pdf

One of the features specifically called out:
OFC low impedance cable for clear transmission & shielding

http://www.google.ee/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.p4c.philips.com%2Ffiles%2Fx%2Fx1_00%2Fx1_00_pss_engsg.pdf&ei=FzIIVI7NHofwOs-ygXA&usg=AFQjCNHehvC-fjsaU8eA1fFQdsBxgi2crg&sig2=q_9RuGvcwBx_Zz68Ghpezg&bvm=bv.74649129,d.ZWU

Wouldn`t trust someone at chat support. They can tell You everything. But it`s only me. Weight reduction of X2 probably comes from removed glue between pads/cups and also probably thinner/lighter leather. Also those measurements indicate that head arch is littlebit larger/longer for bigger heads. Lets just wait for proper reviews and comparings with X1. Until that I`m still at opinion that X2 is just cosmetic/functional upgrade of X1.

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #251 of 15,268
What did you paired the HD650 with? Just checking
smily_headphones1.gif

Chord Hugo and Woo Audio WA7 (with Electro Harmonix valves).

L2 is much better with EDM music than HD650, and that is the main reason I preferred them over HD650s. Deeper lows and faster sound. I also listen to other genres too but L2 was better in most ways. HD650 has more realistic timbre in live music, especially instruments such as piano and guitar. I don't like many headphones lying around and wouldn't listen to HD650 when I had L2 so sold them. For true high-end, one should go over USD 1000 to dynamics such as T1/HD800/TH900 or planar magnetics from Audeze etc. This new breed of high quality mid-fi dynamics are engineered so well though, they surpass former flagships, I think.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #252 of 15,268
so it has been presented aaaand 299 euro suggested price, hope it will head to 200 euro street price soon

http://www.ifa.philips.com/news/sound-at-home/fidelio-x2-headphones

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #253 of 15,268
Chord Hugo and Woo Audio WA7 (with Electro Harmonix valves).

L2 is much better with EDM music than HD650, and that is the main reason I preferred them over HD650s. Deeper lows and faster sound. I also listen to other genres too but L2 was better in most ways. HD650 has more realistic timbre in live music, especially instruments such as piano and guitar. I don't like many headphones lying around and wouldn't listen to HD650 when I had L2 so sold them. For true high-end, one should go over USD 1000 to dynamics such as T1/HD800/TH900 or planar magnetics from Audeze etc. This new breed of high quality mid-fi dynamics are engineered so well though, they surpass former flagships, I think.

Thanks for the info! :) am actually looking into L2 or ZMFs haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back