Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #256 of 15,268
Alright that's it, putting up my Annie for sale soon xD

Be wary, I don't think the L2 will match that AKG soundstage width if that's what you're after. Depth on the other hand is not too far behind the HD700 hehe

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #257 of 15,268
Not sure about L2 depth vs. X1 depth towards front/middle but X1 has it a lot, X2 probably in same league :wink: 

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #258 of 15,268
Hi Guys, got the X2 in and measured. One thing to note: It looks like the pad actually has an acoustic circuit in it.  There's a hole labeled "Align Pin". It appears to allow air from in front of the driver to be routed to behind the baffle plate. Not sure what it does yet, I'll probably block the hole and remeasure to see if something hapens.  At any rate, while the pads are replaceable, it would be virtually impossible to replicate this circuit, so pad rolling is not in the cards....or at least not in the cards if you want to keep this circuit intact.

Measurements show them very similar to the X1.  Haven't done any comparative listening yet, but it looks like they'll sound very similar.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #259 of 15,268
Interesting. Thx for the update.

Look forward to add'l info/measurements etc.

popcorn.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #260 of 15,268
  Hi Guys, got the X2 in and measured. One thing to note: It looks like the pad actually has an acoustic circuit in it.  There's a hole labeled "Align Pin". It appears to allow air from in front of the driver to be routed to behind the baffle plate. Not sure what it does yet, I'll probably block the hole and remeasure to see if something hapens.  At any rate, while the pads are replaceable, it would be virtually impossible to replicate this circuit, so pad rolling is not in the cards....or at least not in the cards if you want to keep this circuit intact.

Measurements show them very similar to the X1.  Haven't done any comparative listening yet, but it looks like they'll sound very similar.

Thanks for informing Tyll. To my understanding that Align Pin is for preventing the mis-alingnment of the earpads while putting back. Because earpads have a special ear or oval shape inside. Don't have any idea if that small hole can make any extra effect...

Eagerly waiting for your review 
popcorn.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #261 of 15,268

Hi Tyll, could you add L2 into the mix if you make a comparison?

Also perhaps compare to orthos such as HE560 and PM-2?

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #262 of 15,268

Thanks for informing Tyll. To my understanding that Align Pin is for preventing the mis-alingnment of the earpads while putting back. Because earpads have a special ear or oval shape inside. Don't have any idea if that small hole can make any extra effect...

Let's see results of measurements with hole blocked (FR as well as low-end distortion)...

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #263 of 15,268
X1 also has that little hole in the align pin. Not sure but I think blocking the hole doesn`t make any difference because the hole opposite to pin is closed anyway. 
Just removed my X1 pad to check. Tyll, does X2 have hole also inside "socket" opposite to align pin ?

That`s what I thought - more like X1.2 but let`s see some more measurements and comparsions. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #264 of 15,268
The X2 seems to have extra mechanical damping built into it compared to the X1 by use of gel layers. I wonder how well this works in practice. Tyll, can you comment on how natural the X2 sounds compared to the X1, thanks.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #265 of 15,268
I'm in anticipation of the comparison as well!
It wasn't at all clear to me from the Philips info if they have indeed made changes to the driver or if it is a new way of describing the same driver.
Any chance of giving us a quick impression? :) Do the X1 and X2 sound the same? (using the same cable)

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #266 of 15,268
official booklet ->  http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x2_00/x2_00_pbr_eng.pdf

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #269 of 15,268
A bit of googling gave me this:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-110-15210-3.html

Quote:
"
Ich habe den Fidelio X2 heute im MediaMarkt Dresden ElbePark hören können.
Dazu im direkten Vergleich den X1

Ich bin kein geübter Hörer und kann demzufolge nichts weiter sagen, außer das ich persöhnlich keinen Unterschied im Klang feststellen konnte.
"

Translation:
I heard the Fidelio X2 today at MediaMarkt Dresden ElbePark.
In direct comparison with the X1
I am not a practiced listener and can therefore not say anything else, other than that I personally could not distinguish any difference in sound.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #270 of 15,268
Quote: "Ich habe den Fidelio X2 heute im MediaMarkt Dresden ElbePark hören können.
Dazu im direkten Vergleich den X1

Ich bin kein geübter Hörer und kann demzufolge nichts weiter sagen, außer das ich persöhnlich keinen Unterschied im Klang feststellen konnte."

Interessante, ich glaube er, aber es wahrscheinlich falsch ist. The house sound probably hasn't changed enough, but considering the reported differences in L1 to L2 and all the emphasis on the driver and cup design, I'm expecting less bass distortion and more extended treble at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back