Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Apr 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #256 of 1,454
I'm coming to the party a bit late here, but just wanted to say that I got to listen to the BE on a whim at RMAF, and was incredibly impressed for the $. Listened for a while. Then I was bummed that they were not available for months, and sort of forgot about them. Glad I saw this posting, ordering a pair....

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #257 of 1,454
It comes down to processing cost.  Gold is amazingly ductile, and easy to work - soft, pliable, doesn't crack.  Beryllium cracks and shatters if you look at it wrong.  So you might start with material that is "only" 15% of the cost of gold, but by the time you're done working it and dealing with low yield you're pushing nearly the same cost.

Sounds fair. How many grams are used in the BE drivers?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #258 of 1,454
From an engineering standpoint, it achieves all of its goals:
sound quality, check,
Light weight, check,
comfortable, check,
durability, (five year warranty)
However I feel it could could be a litttle flashier, but then again it would not be light weight if it's made of metal. It is such a n excellent iem but it feels too utilitarian. It needs to look the part of an tesla rather than a moded up civic. Wood housing or something would have been great. (I.e. Fx850) but that shiet is heavy.

Yes, we are "utilitarian",  We believe a lot of our customers don't want flash, do not see headphones/IEMs as fashion accessories but tools to bring grins to their face... :)  Focus just on that - the experience (and what it takes to let that experience happen - comfort, fit, durability) and the rest kind of falls by the wayside.  We could do machined wood or aluminum enclosures (with their acoustical issues), we could do woven/braided wires, we could do pressed paper gift boxes - and we could double or triple our MSRP.  But then - what about the number of smiling faces?

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #259 of 1,454
Sounds fair. How many grams are used in the BE drivers?

Good question - let me do the math...  8.5mm diameter, 30 micron thickness, yields 0.0017 CC.  Density of 1.85 g/CC means right around 3.1 milligrams.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #260 of 1,454
It comes down to processing cost.  Gold is amazingly ductile, and easy to work - soft, pliable, doesn't crack.  Beryllium cracks and shatters if you look at it wrong.  So you might start with material that is "only" 15% of the cost of gold, but by the time you're done working it and dealing with low yield you're pushing nearly the same cost.
Ok, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks! :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #262 of 1,454
  Hey Dan! I need to ask, how big is an upgrade from MG to the BE is in your opinion and any other member like to chime in?

My MG and BE were both shipped last week and arrived in the country over the weekend. However due to the public holiday tomorrow, I don't expect to get it for another 48 hours but I'll try to remember to write up some quick impressions between them.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #266 of 1,454
Thanks Dan and Zeke,

I go my BE IEM'S and will have to say they are great . The bass is better than HE 400I 's and have a wider sound stage also. These punch in a much higher price  category. I agree with Zeke I think the packaging doesn't need to be fancy. The other great product I have bought with simple packaging was my RSA Blackbird SR71-B  portable balanced amp.  I bought these never hearing them based on what others have said and the great information that Dan has shared with no BS .

I love the light weight and comfort.  I look forward to shaking the team's hands's at RMAF this coming October. The  5 year warranty , the  great sound, price, and comfort sets a new  standard for other IEM"s to match. 

Great Job Periodic Audio Team.

Rick 

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #267 of 1,454

My MG and BE were both shipped last week and arrived in the country over the weekend. However due to the public holiday tomorrow, I don't expect to get it for another 48 hours but I'll try to remember to write up some quick impressions between them.

Yeah. This comparison will be interesting to hear. Looking forward for your impressions

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #268 of 1,454
Just received my BE! I'm not going to write too much about sound yet, but they are as good as I remember. I also was re-surprised by just how lightweight these are -- the type you can put in on your way out the door and forget about them 30 steps later.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #269 of 1,454

I went to T.H.E Show Newport a few years ago and Andrew Jones was there introducing his new company ELAC. He was playing his new bookshelf speaker from the Debut line and everyone was absolutely digging their sound...

...This past weekend gave me a moment of deja vu after discovering the Be. Similar to ELAC, Periodic Audio has priced its IEMs to build a quick market share and bankroll more ambitious projects. They have the best bang for buck and come with a 5 year warranty....you just can't beat that.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back