Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,171 of 1,683
So after reading the discussion a few pages back about the Off-Ramp 5 dramatically improving the sound of a USB computer source with the PWD, I decided to take a leap of faith and buy one.  My decision was eased by the fact that the people giving the impressions were people whose suggestions I'd followed in the past, and had definitely come to trust.  I got the OR5 with turboclock and HDMI Hynes reg upgrades.

While I still don't have my SR009 rig to confirm (I had to send my Liquid Lightning back for a minor repair), I can already say that the OR5 was well worth it.  I initially tried my Senn RS220 from the coax out of the OR5 into my PWD (MK2), and wasn't impressed.  It sounded veiled and congested, and not much different from using the PWD's USB input.  

I had a PS Audio HDMI-10 cable and the sound into the PWD's I2S input was heavily distorted, so I assumed something was wrong with the OR5.  But when I tried a generic HDMI cable, the sound was fine.  Steve from Empirical Audio told me that he's had problems with that PS Audio cable before.  For the record, this is the second PS Audio product I've had which was defective upon arrival (the other being my Dectet).  While I should be able to get a refund on the cable, let's just say I'm not too impressed with the quality control at PS Audio--my PWD notwithstanding.

Even with a generic HDMI cable, the OR5's improvements on the PWD's USB input are immediately noticeable and significant.  I had never been very impressed with the RS220 as anything more than a casual listening, "good considering it's wireless" headphone.  But with the OR5 outputting I2S into the PWD, the RS220 became much more life-like, 3-dimensional and engaging.  It actually sounded like it could be a reference quality headphone, like an HD600 driven by a top notch amp.

I can't wait to hear how the 009 improves once I get my LL back.  For anyone who has a PWD and doesn't want to spend potentially upwards of $3000 to get to a significantly better DAC, I would say the $1-2k that the OR5 costs is definitely worth considering.  As bonus, the OR5 has a small physical footprint and is extremely easy to set up.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,172 of 1,683
Quote:
So after reading the discussion a few pages back about the Off-Ramp 5 dramatically improving the sound of a USB computer source with the PWD, I decided to take a leap of faith and buy one.  My decision was eased by the fact that the people giving the impressions were people whose suggestions I'd followed in the past, and had definitely come to trust.  I got the OR5 with turboclock and HDMI Hynes reg upgrades.

While I still don't have my SR009 rig to confirm (I had to send my Liquid Lightning back for a minor repair), I can already say that the OR5 was well worth it.  I initially tried my Senn RS220 from the coax out of the OR5 into my PWD (MK2), and wasn't impressed.  It sounded veiled and congested, and not much different from using the PWD's USB input.  

I had a PS Audio HDMI-10 cable and the sound into the PWD's I2S input was heavily distorted, so I assumed something was wrong with the OR5.  But when I tried a generic HDMI cable, the sound was fine.  Steve from Empirical Audio told me that he's had problems with that PS Audio cable before.  For the record, this is the second PS Audio product I've had which was defective upon arrival (the other being my Dectet).  While I should be able to get a refund on the cable, let's just say I'm not too impressed with the quality control at PS Audio--my PWD notwithstanding.

Even with a generic HDMI cable, the OR5's improvements on the PWD's USB input are immediately noticeable and significant.  I had never been very impressed with the RS220 as anything more than a casual listening, "good considering it's wireless" headphone.  But with the OR5 outputting I2S into the PWD, the RS220 became much more life-like, 3-dimensional and engaging.  It actually sounded like it could be a reference quality headphone, like an HD600 driven by a top notch amp.

I can't wait to hear how the 009 improves once I get my LL back.  For anyone who has a PWD and doesn't want to spend potentially upwards of $3000 to get to a significantly better DAC, I would say the $1-2k that the OR5 costs is definitely worth considering.  As bonus, the OR5 has a small physical footprint and is extremely easy to set up.

Congrats on the OR5 purchase , glad you're liking it :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,173 of 1,683
Thanks, dj nellie for the impressions...I pay attention to yours!  

May I ask: which PWD do you have (Mk.I w/upgrade to II?) and which Firmware are you running?

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,174 of 1,683
I have a PWD MK2, I upgraded it myself from an MK1.  I'm running firmware 2.02, the same one that was released a long time ago.

Speaking of which, for some reason when I play 24-bit/48khz files through my OR5 into my PWD, my PWD clicks rapidly and the music skips around.  The PWD makes the same clicking sound that it makes whenever the sample rate on the song changes, but it makes the sound continuously.  This doesn't happen with any other bitrate/sample rate combo.  Has anyone else heard of this problem, or have an idea of what might be causing it?

I have this problem with both WASAPI and Kernel Streaming, and with both J. River and Foobar.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,175 of 1,683
Try another PL file in the firmware.  I had issues with a new PWD2 at 192 in Native, everything else was fine.  Changed the, in my case, PL107 for a PL105 and everything was fine.  Semi related I now run the newest 2.20 with is at PL109 and has no issues.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,176 of 1,683
Do you notice any differences in sound quality or tonality between 2.02 and the latest 2.2 firmware?

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,178 of 1,683
Given the same firmware, will the upgraded MKI sound identical to MKII unit?  If not, what are the difference.  Thank you.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,180 of 1,683
Quote:
I have a PWD MK2, I upgraded it myself from an MK1.  I'm running firmware 2.02, the same one that was released a long time ago.

Speaking of which, for some reason when I play 24-bit/48khz files through my OR5 into my PWD, my PWD clicks rapidly and the music skips around.  The PWD makes the same clicking sound that it makes whenever the sample rate on the song changes, but it makes the sound continuously.  This doesn't happen with any other bitrate/sample rate combo.  Has anyone else heard of this problem, or have an idea of what might be causing it?

I have this problem with both WASAPI and Kernel Streaming, and with both J. River and Foobar.

Try 2.03. It maintains the 2.02 qualities, but fixes the clicking issues.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,181 of 1,683
Quote:
Given the same firmware, will the upgraded MKI sound identical to MKII unit?  If not, what are the difference.  Thank you.  

MKII will only run 2.10 and 2.20. 

I'll try the "new" 2.20 on my upgraded MKI unit and report back.

Either way, this is possibly good new for the newer MKII units. A friend on mine had been in contact with Paul regarding issues with some PWD MKII new units. Supposedly Paul admitted that a few of them needed a digital board replacement. I know that a newer MKII unit I obtained sounded like donkey when directly compared to the MKI upgraded to MKII. Little bit less resolving, less microdynamics, but most damning was lack of low bass response. Maybe Paul got wind of this issue and put in a fix.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,183 of 1,683
^Okay, so I think the "MKI to MKII" upgraders may be able to use the "latest 2.20" firmware.  (Because it seems that some 2.0.2 users can use the latest 2.20 and that means they have upgraded MKI.  But I can't try it for a week so if anyone wants to give it a shot...)   

This is what I have gathered from the thread...

Versions of v2.20:
  • 2.20 (pld 104)
  • 2.20 (pld 105)
  • 2.20 (pld 107)
  • 2.20 (pld 109)
  • 2.20 (pld 109) "Emailed on July 2nd".  Specific Filenames:  Loader.CFG, pWD20400.hex, PWDPL109.hex, PWDUI200.hex, and PLDUL103.hex

Not official yet:
2.4.0 is in Beta

Here is the thread discussing the versions of 2.20:
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/5334/2.2.0-firmware-for-new-production-pwds

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,185 of 1,683
Are the upgraded MKI's the only units able to be downgraded to 2.02 - 2.03?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back