Perfect opposite
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #31 of 56
Yes, very much.

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #33 of 56
once again let me recommend some ultrasones... either the pro 900 or hfi-2400 depending on if you want an open or closed back headphone.

you want something thats good for hip-hop, ultrasones are known for their "house" sound. you will find them very satisfying and enjoyable to listen to. 

you also want to watch movies with them, ultrasones use s-logic surround sound, which essentially sounds like your listening to some high-end speakers as opposed to a pair of headphones.

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #34 of 56
haha thanks for the recommendation man but those are way outta my price range.  'Twas thinking the 580's

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #35 of 56
So should I just get the ATH AD700's for 75, try em out see how I like em, and if I don't enjoy them resell them for the same price and just save up for some ultrasones? The sony XB's seem nice but I listen to EVERYTHING and they seem strictly rap based. Also, as previously stated I'm looking for super comfortable can's with a nice soundstage

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #36 of 56
Ok so still not sure if I want the ATh AD700's. Gonna try and save up enough so I can get 200 bucks for some new cans. Feel free to go a lil above (and of course below)

But here are the specs I desire:

nice soundstage
Nice bass (since my grados have bass, but not all that noticable, tight would be the adjective)
something that can be driven by my PA2v2 for now but will be complementary of the Little Dot 1+ I'm going to be getting in the future
nice with movies
comfy
I would enjoy around the ear but not a necessity
And again, something different (doesn't have to be different but something to compliment) my grados

Thanks for all responses

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #37 of 56
Would Ultrasone 580's be a good fit? thanks

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #38 of 56
Would Ultrasone 580's be a good fit? thanks

Comfort would be my main concern but if Grado is comfortable enough to you I doubt HFI-580 would be much worse at all. I don't think HFI-580 is a completely opposite of Grado though, it's more like a good open -> closed transition of a Grado because they are both forward and bright sounding but that could possibly be a good thing too and soundstage is actually quite good for a closed. The complete opposite would be Sennheiser HD 650.

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #39 of 56
True but right now I don't have an amp that would power the 650's. I thought Ultrasone would be a better opposite then the AD700's? Could someone please give me a decent example of something in the 200 range that could be powered by a PA2v2 and is opposite of grado 125i's? THanks for your input RPG

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #40 of 56
Denon D1100 which is not quite $200 though but an interesting option nonetheless. Not very forward sounding at all, more laid-back than forward sounding IMO but not very laid-back sounding either (Grado is like very forward sounding). Has great soundstage for a closed headphone with great instrument separation or transparency which isn't Grado's strongest point, well at least soundstage. The highs are slightly on the dark side, the uppermost highs aren't that much veiled but the range where Grado peaks at will be like night and day difference. It's also very bassy which the Grado's aren't, the bass is very punchy and fast though and not very deep/rumbling but the midrange is quite a bit laid-back which is the opposite of Grado. It's very easy driven and will work even ampless but it does improve quite a lot SQ-wise by amping where the PA2V2 could come handy. Well at least it would be quite a bit opposite sounding, if you'd like it... well that's a good question... :p

All aspects of it is more or less the opposite to Grado. The opposite to Grado headphones are laid-back sounding with great soundstage and transparency with recessed mids and highs and emphasized bass which this headphone would fit in. The main difference what you'd experience between them would be how the Grado sounds aggressive/"in-your-face" while the Denons you'd think it sounds a bit more relaxed and that it would be coming from a slight distance. 

For me forward sound is much preferred and even if I'm a basshead and don't even like bright highs and had to choose between these 2, I might even go for the Grado. Just saying as a warning that if you'd happen to prefer the sound of Grado then your chances are either you will fall in love with the D1100 or you will totally hate it. :p But going for the total opposite is very useful though to find out your real prefers when it comes to sound and there might be some aspects you like about the other headphone (such as large soundstage for instance) which could be useful for future purchases. I've learnt a lot myself going this path.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #41 of 56
Thanks man that is quite a nice option to consider as well.

Right now my options are like this:
Ultrasone 580's
Denon d1100
Ad700

Anything I should add (or subtract)

leaving to the 580's though because I heard they are quite bassy (what I'm looking for) and their appearance is nice

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #42 of 56
What sennheisers would be a nice addition to this list?

My sr125i is modded as well.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #43 of 56
Ok

what about the ultrasone dj series? Thanks

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #44 of 56
thinking heavily on getting the dj1pro....

any last inputs would be awesome

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #45 of 56
btg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back