Perfect opposite
Feb 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
to my sr125i's. Was thinking of ath ad700s but am still deciding. Looking for suggestions/opinions thanks. I listen to mostly metal/rock.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 56
I had the SR80i at one point along with my AD700, so I'll try and give you impressions.

I wouldn't quite call the AD700 a "perfect opposite" for a number of reasons. First you have the bass. Bass on both of these headphones is definitely on the low side, with the AD700 still having less, yet it's very tight. And second, they both have a good midrange, with the Grado obviously having a more exaggerated one. Although, both will sound different in their own rights, but they also will sound slightly similar in their own rights as well.

A good opposite to the Grado sound is something with a "U-curve" signature. Something that is more bass heavy, dark, and a recessed midrange. A few headphones manufactures that come to mind are: Denon, Ultrasone, and Sony's XB line. There are also random headphones scattered throughout other companies as well that have the "U-curve" sound signature.

Good luck!

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 56
Thanks man, what headphones would you suggest then bearing in mind I'm on a budget? I appreciate your time greatly

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 56
hmmm for now about a hundred but in the future 200 plus a lil' more.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 56
Well, there are quite a few nice headphone that start around the $150 range, but there are still some good ones below.

Check out the Shure SRH750 DJ if you can stretch $130. Also, another great bass can is the Sony XB500 and XB700. Those are $50 and $80 respectively, and have absolutely insane bass, backed up by a dark signature. You can also always check out the FS forums, and buy something used as well, that way you can try out something more expensive (such as a M50 or PS500) for about your price range.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 56
will do. anyone else

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 56
i think i am going to get the 700s. i want a pair of headphones with a big soundscape for ambient/drone music and movies and they seem to fit the bill...any reason not to

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 56
Sounds good, go for it! You might want to touch up on some reviews, to make sure the sound signature sounds appealing to you.

The soundstage won't be nearly as good as the AD700 (very few headphones are), but the bass is truly exceptional. You'll find many die hard XB700 fans here on Head-Fi.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 56
I would highly recommend a pair of ultrasones.
I think that the "darker" nature of ultrasones would compliment your grado's very well, but that's just my opinion.

I have the HFI-2400 and band's like audioslave sound so much better than on any of my other headphones. Ultrasones are very engaging, and the s-logic isn't a gimmick, it really does improves your listening experience (IMHO).

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 56
I meant AD700's. I'm still in between though. What's the soundstage like on the M50's?

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:
I meant AD700's. I'm still in between though. What's the soundstage like on the M50's?

Oh, the AD700. Well in that case, you will be getting one of the biggest soundstages of any headphone.

Many don't like the AD700 for rock/metal because of the severe lack of bass. Others, enjoy rock with their AD700's most. It kinda just depends on personal preference and such. But other than that, the AD700 is a fantastic headphone. Just be warned, they leak more sound then any headphone I've ever owned, but that may not be a problem for you.

The M50 is a closed headphone, so the soundstage won't be as wide or deep as the AD700. But, it still sounds really great. Some actually prefer the "closed" headphone sound, because it gives the bass a slight reverb. You also benefit from noise isolation, as well as leaking less noise than open headphones. Again, it will depend on preference, but both are really awesome headphones. But I will admit, the M50's are more of an all-arounder than the AD700, and they do music with beat or bass a bit better.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 56
welp it's certain, getting the AD700's. Can just sell em' for the same price for they aren't to my liking. Super excited. Do they work well with the Little Dot 1+ as that is probably going to be my next buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back