PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #5,836 of 9,120
I posted this on the Linus tech forums and I'd like a bit more input.

I'm getting all the components for my new computer in 2-3 days but I couldn't afford a GPU at a the time, my cousin graciously offered to lend me a (horribly) OC'd to hell EVGA GTX 560 (we are talking white spots, crashing, the lot). Anyway, should I wait for the next series of GPU's to come out or take advantage a mail-in rebate that Newegg Canada has- an R9 280X at the price of a 270. The only problem is I'd have to sell some stuff because I dislocated my ankle and knee and broke my foot on the other leg 2 days ago and yard work/babysitting are the only things I can do to make money, as I'm not 16 yet (Believe me, I'd take a call center to get rid of the 560- it sounds like it's going to explode when it runs games).

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5,838 of 9,120
bowei006, I'm curious but do you work in the computer industry or just an hobbyist? You seem to know a lot about computer gear in general.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,840 of 9,120
  Prices matter of course. Especially since you are Canadian.

Most these days will go with INTEL now. AMD of course has quad core+ processing for cheaps in terms of amount of cores to price to power usage, but for a desktop gamer, those stuff are barely necessary to need.

There are some slightly better coolers on the market at that price range. Forgot what they were, I posted a massive cooler comparison link a few pages back.

Of course, we need prices, it is hard to tell what you are paying for that GPU etc etc

Right, of course
Yes, new the cooler might not be the best choice, but my friend hardly used it and he only wants $10

AMD FX-6300 $115
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS $55
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 $10 (Off a friend)
Mushkin Silverline 8GB DDR3-1600 $85
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM $60
Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB $150 + $10 Rebate = $140
Silverstone PS08B $50
Antec VP450 $40
Acer Monitor V226HQL Abmd Monitor $110

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #5,841 of 9,120
Hobbyist (he's only in college right now).

If you spend enough time with a hobby like computers and do your research, it sort of becomes common knowledge-ish.
This.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,842 of 9,120
http://www.cryorig.com/rims_computex2014.php

And this is where 3D Printing would be amazing. Hopefully Cryorig or somebody can come up with basic dimensions we must follow. Would love to see this kick off and somebody try to recreate the Gentle Typhoons somehow. Would be neat.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,843 of 9,120
  http://www.cryorig.com/rims_computex2014.php

And this is where 3D Printing would be amazing. Hopefully Cryorig or somebody can come up with basic dimensions we must follow. Would love to see this kick off and somebody try to recreate the Gentle Typhoons somehow. Would be neat.

BTW, that R1 cooler is freaking sexy. I love the style of Cryorig's stuff.
EDIT: Are you screwing kidding me... The R1 is 8mm too tall for my 350D... Damn.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5,844 of 9,120
I decided to monitor my temps again, and my 4770K...it's now idling closer to 38-40c, 79c under LinX 0.6.5 load, and ambient's around 25c. All on a custom water-cooling loop with a 360mm rad and at stock M6H clocks (3.9 GHz because it defaults to constant Turbo Boost speed).

What gives? I know ambients are much higher in the summer, but something really doesn't seem right about this. As it stands, I'm gonna get thermally walled again trying to push past 4.4 GHz!

Perhaps I should just delid the bloody thing already and set up a bare-die mount directly to the waterblock. Maybe even take the waterblock apart and make sure there's no gunk in the microchannels. I just can't believe people on OCN get away with the temps they do on less capable closed-loop coolers unless they're not stressing AVX2 with HT on, have really low ambients with the A/C on, and/or delidded.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5,845 of 9,120
  I posted this on the Linus tech forums and I'd like a bit more input.

I'm getting all the components for my new computer in 2-3 days but I couldn't afford a GPU at a the time, my cousin graciously offered to lend me a (horribly) OC'd to hell EVGA GTX 560 (we are talking white spots, crashing, the lot). Anyway, should I wait for the next series of GPU's to come out or take advantage a mail-in rebate that Newegg Canada has- an R9 280X at the price of a 270. The only problem is I'd have to sell some stuff because I dislocated my ankle and knee and broke my foot on the other leg 2 days ago and yard work/babysitting are the only things I can do to make money, as I'm not 16 yet (Believe me, I'd take a call center to get rid of the 560- it sounds like it's going to explode when it runs games).

That GPU is spent, you can barely use it most likely

I have yet to hear of any conclusive news on next gen cards. It is up to you.

The GPU sounds like it can barely run, why keep using it. Not to mention, he is lending it. You don't want to be the guy that fries or ends up breaking a lent item even if the owner knew it had problems. There are always going to be 'those' situations. 

Wow , Far Cry looks amazing ... I hope my 680m can do it some justice...

Yeah, it looks amazing
  bowei006, I'm curious but do you work in the computer industry or just an hobbyist? You seem to know a lot about computer gear in general.

Google

Knowing good sites and sources to use

Are 90% of the battle.

Seriously, half the stuff you guys ask here can be found or calculated or compared on through Google.

I don't read up on industry news, and general enthusiast opinions of crap as much as Haiburi does. Nekomimi's take up too much time to read about that.

But of course, I do still follow along. However I go into it with a business mindset of how stuff works. 

Hobbyist (he's only in college right now).

If you spend enough time with a hobby like computers and do your research, it sort of becomes common knowledge-ish.

Common but ain't nobody got time to uber buy stuff.

Right, of course
Yes, new the cooler might not be the best choice, but my friend hardly used it and he only wants $10

AMD FX-6300 $115
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS $55
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 $10 (Off a friend)
Mushkin Silverline 8GB DDR3-1600 $85
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM $60
Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB $150 + $10 Rebate = $140
Silverstone PS08B $50
Antec VP450 $40
Acer Monitor V226HQL Abmd Monitor $110

What do you want the AMD for?

IT just is that if you don't also do video editing and photo editing or CAD, that the FX 6300's do lag behind the i3 Haswell's in performance for most things

However, AMD motherboards are generally cheaper at the same approximate tier/quality.

There is often RAM 8GB going on sale from reputable company's for $55-$65.

2TB HDD's with good feedback go on sale for $60 often.

The 270x goes on sale for that price often. Looking at the specs, it would seem that the 270 was just an underclocked 7870 but reviewers noted that it was actually a 7850 with added units (shaders I believe) and raised to have specs similar to an 7870 base. The 7850 and 7870 are VERY different cards. The small number change was actually a large difference. At release, the 7870 was about 50+% more expensive than the 7850 at over $100+. It was a large split that AMD did at the time.

Get the 270x. The specs were so similar that I figured the 270 and 270x were all based off 7870 but sources say otherwise. If you can get a 7870 GHz for $120 or less, go that route, otherwise jsut stick with the 270/x's

I decided to monitor my temps again, and my 4770K...it's now idling closer to 38-40c, 79c under LinX 0.6.5 load, and ambient's around 25c. All on a custom water-cooling loop with a 360mm rad and at stock M6H clocks (3.9 GHz because it defaults to constant Turbo Boost speed).

What gives? I know ambients are much higher in the summer, but something really doesn't seem right about this. As it stands, I'm gonna get thermally walled again trying to push past 4.4 GHz!

Perhaps I should just delid the bloody thing already and set up a bare-die mount directly to the waterblock. Maybe even take the waterblock apart and make sure there's no gunk in the microchannels. I just can't believe people on OCN get away with the temps they do on less capable closed-loop coolers unless they're not stressing AVX2 with HT on, have really low ambients with the A/C on, and/or delidded.

Those seem a bit high... ?

How is your thermal gel? Did you apply it right and or correctly?

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5,846 of 9,120
I went to the phone store with my mom today and we decided on getting her a Samsung Galaxy S5

I played around with it for most of the day

I want the One plus One now. No contract, and amazing specs. And not to mention, it has everything the S5 didn't have. Customization and free from ATT's hands. ATT maimed the S5 and took away its awesome Download Booster, and forces you to pay for hotspot and tethering.....well...heheh. I'm sure the 1+1 won't have this issue

Anyway, $299 is awesome price 

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5,847 of 9,120

You have to delid because the stock thermal paste applied between the IHS and die is really sloppily applied, so no matter how good your custom loop is it will be bottlenecked by that. And just to clarify, you don't actually have to mount directly to the die, you just need to redo the thermal paste.

My ambient temp is 15C (measured with a NIST traceable calibrated food thermometer XD), and I'm getting 81C with LinX, 3770k @ 4.2ghz, 1.200v under load. I'm using a D14 by the way, so I'm guessing your room is a good chunk warmer than mine.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,848 of 9,120
So i recently got a new throne to my setup which is alot cleaner and better than my old chair i found outside one snowy day.

I also made plans to repaint that old desk since its finish is chipping on some areas and tagged with me testing out paint markers.
also that im strapped for cash and i think it would be a fun and new project to do to paint my desk Grey.

currently, headfi-wise: Steelseries Siberia V2, Sennheiser HD558, Grado Sr80i, Sony XB500

machine: Asus G73JH, Lenovo Q1859 monitor, Steelseries Sensei RAW, Steelseries QcK (i seem to favor Steelseries simple clean style with their products)

oh and the chair, i picked up on sale at Officemax: Officemax Fausto 1 executive chair.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5,849 of 9,120

oh i almost forgot about the 2013 Dota2 poster i have so i can reflect or make a glance to which Hero i should play..

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #5,850 of 9,120
  I went to the phone store with my mom today and we decided on getting her a Samsung Galaxy S5

I played around with it for most of the day

I want the One plus One now. No contract, and amazing specs. And not to mention, it has everything the S5 didn't have. Customization and free from ATT's hands. ATT maimed the S5 and took away its awesome Download Booster, and forces you to pay for hotspot and tethering.....well...heheh. I'm sure the 1+1 won't have this issue

Anyway, $299 is awesome price 

Honestly I've wanted the OnePlus One since it was announced, and I'm an Apple junkie. But I'll never buy one simply because I feel that it's too big. With my hand size, the absolute limit of a phone for me is right around the 4.5" zone depending on the bezel thickness. I don't like big phones and that's a complete deal breaker for me. I know it doesn't bother many other people, and if the One ever gets scaled down in size without sacrificing specs, I'd be on board in a heartbeat.

They've been delayed thanks to an SSL exploit that was located, but I'm glad they found that before shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back