PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5,821 of 9,120
I was being serious, but if that resembles your cables, then ok...

That specific image is one I found on Google, but some of the servers in our headend look pretty close. We have a few racks that haven't been in use for ages and they look like a complete mess. Since I'm still gathering parts for my PC build, and currently only have the MBP, I have no true cable management to speak of in my personal setup.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #5,825 of 9,120
  do you guys know any company that sells..... white mousepad...?

cloth white mousepad is the best, but if it isnt available... aluminium mousepad is fine too~....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwhite+mouse+pa&_nkw=white+mouse+pad&_sacat=0&_from=R40

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=white%20mouse%20pad&sprefix=white+mouse+%2Celectronics&rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Ck%3Awhite%20mouse%20pad

If you want some expensive fancy thing you can probably find a company that custom prints pictures on them and just send them a white jpg.  I think the reason white mouse pads aren't a big thing is because after light use you can  see just how dirty they get extremely easily.

SO E3 EHH????? I just about laughed myself to death watching Microsoft's press conference.  Straight from CoD to Cars NICE!!!!! God does the new CoD look trash not that the past ones weren't but "let's show a chunk of metal chopping the protagonist's arm off in our 5 minute play through"  Who in the world thought that up? *Skips through the "let's milk as much money out of the halo series as possible"....

I also watched a bunch of streamers play the Battlefield hardline beta.  I don't mean to be overly negative and I understand that it'll be announced tomorrow but god does it look absolutely terrible.  I am very happy to see that they went back to a BC2 damage model so you actually have to aim and go for head shots but the whole game just looks like it has no direction, I mean cops and robbers? You can also revive yourself.  And I don't mean CoD last stand spec, I mean when you die you have a 'stick a pin in your arm and come back to life' animation.  I wouldn't be surprised if the game fails to sell a million copies.  This might be the end of Battlefield as far as I'm concerned.  

Oh yeah this came out today too, I don't know what I think:

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #5,826 of 9,120
Hey dudes of Head-Fi, thought I'd run a parts list for a proposed build for a friend. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AMD FX-6300
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
Mushkin Silverline 8GB DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB
Silverstone PS08B
Antec VP450
Acer Monitor V226HQL Abmd Monitor

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #5,827 of 9,120
  Hey dudes of Head-Fi, thought I'd run a parts list for a proposed build for a friend. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AMD FX-6300
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
Mushkin Silverline 8GB DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB
Silverstone PS08B
Antec VP450
Acer Monitor V226HQL Abmd Monitor

Prices matter of course. Especially since you are Canadian.

Most these days will go with INTEL now. AMD of course has quad core+ processing for cheaps in terms of amount of cores to price to power usage, but for a desktop gamer, those stuff are barely necessary to need.

There are some slightly better coolers on the market at that price range. Forgot what they were, I posted a massive cooler comparison link a few pages back.

Of course, we need prices, it is hard to tell what you are paying for that GPU etc etc

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #5,828 of 9,120
Just thought I'd drop by here to say hi and ask a question. What does everyone think of the Asus B85M-E (I got it for $30 off because they didn't have the mobo I ordered)? I just ordered my computer and everything should be here in about 3-5 business days, so I can't cancel anything, just wondering what people thought of it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5,829 of 9,120
  Just thought I'd drop by here to say hi and ask a question. What does everyone think of the Asus B85M-E (I got it for $30 off because they didn't have the mobo I ordered)? I just ordered my computer and everything should be here in about 3-5 business days, so I can't cancel anything, just wondering what people thought of it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,830 of 9,120

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,831 of 9,120
Had a new Gigabyte P35W V2 laptop for about a week now ... the 15.6" IPS screen is awesome ... sort of a halfway matte/glossy screen that looks pretty rad. 

The GTX860M card is pretty good too... plays just about everything on HIGH settings but it's better on MEDIUM for games like Metro Last Light and other notoriously hard to push games. Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, etc. ... all easy 70 to 100fps. Pretty sick for a laptop ...

And the dual 512gb SSD's in RAID 0 are just ludicrously fast:

-------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 

Sequential Read : 949.954 MB/s
Sequential Write : 914.656 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 854.628 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 855.518 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 32.773 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 119.822 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB

------------

Pretty killer form factor over all ... hard to believe they packed all the connectivity and an optical drive as well in to something so thin and weighing only 4.5lbs.

Cooling is decent but not great, as is to be expected in such a thin machine ... games max out around 78 to 80C and CPU around 75C ... 

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,832 of 9,120
  Had a new Gigabyte P35W V2 laptop for about a week now ... the 15.6" IPS screen is awesome ... sort of a halfway matte/glossy screen that looks pretty rad. 

The GTX860M card is pretty good too... plays just about everything on HIGH settings but it's better on MEDIUM for games like Metro Last Light and other notoriously hard to push games. Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, etc. ... all easy 70 to 100fps. Pretty sick for a laptop ...

And the dual 512gb SSD's in RAID 0 are just ludicrously fast:

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 

Sequential Read : 949.954 MB/s
Sequential Write : 914.656 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 854.628 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 855.518 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 32.773 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 119.822 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB

------------

Pretty killer form factor over all ... hard to believe they packed all the connectivity and an optical drive as well in to something so thin and weighing only 4.5lbs.

Cooling is decent but not great, as is to be expected in such a thin machine ... games max out around 78 to 80C and CPU around 75C ... 

That's a little too warm.. Those numbers are great, especially coming from a notebook
biggrin.gif
  I looked at some photos online and the first thing I noticed was the position of the optical drive haha

I had the GIGABYTE P2532N Notebook and it was a very good machine. Screen was excellent, well built, high quality.
What I loved about it the most was the fact that almost everything was accessible by removing a single screw!  Fans, Optical, HDD, etc.  Even had an extra HDD slot despite its form factor. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #5,833 of 9,120
  That's a little too warm.. Those numbers are great, especially coming from a notebook
biggrin.gif
  I looked at some photos online and the first thing I noticed was the position of the optical drive haha

I had the GIGABYTE P2532N Notebook and it was a very good machine. Screen was excellent, well built, high quality.
What I loved about it the most was the fact that almost everything was accessible by removing a single screw!  Fans, Optical, HDD, etc.  Even had an extra HDD slot despite its form factor. 

I really dig it ...

And just having read around a bunch on the forums ... the GPU temps are actually better than a lot of the other gaming notebooks I've seen reviewed, where 90C+ is not an uncommon number ...

The CPU temps are a bit lower than what my previous Sony VPCCB had for the nearly three years I owned it ... that Sony laptop would idle in the low 60's, believe it or not ... 

Not too concerned about the temps, though ... it's a ridiculously thin notebook and so I guess there's only so much that can be done with such a form factor. The stock thermal compound has been re worked with IC Diamond and short of multiple re seatings, I don't see the temps improving too much. 

Fun gaming rig, though ... did a couple hours of Hawken on all Ultra settings this afternoon and was seeing 60 to 80 FPS throughout ... with a reasonable average of about 65 FPS ... coming from that Sony (which only had Intel graphics) ... it's mind boggling to see the frames pushed like that ...

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,834 of 9,120

I really dig it ...

And just having read around a bunch on the forums ... the GPU temps are actually better than a lot of the other gaming notebooks I've seen reviewed, where 90C+ is not an uncommon number ...

The CPU temps are a bit lower than what my previous Sony VPCCB had for the nearly three years I owned it ... that Sony laptop would idle in the low 60's, believe it or not ... 

Not too concerned about the temps, though ... it's a ridiculously thin notebook and so I guess there's only so much that can be done with such a form factor. The stock thermal compound has been re worked with IC Diamond and short of multiple re seatings, I don't see the temps improving too much. 

Fun gaming rig, though ... did a couple hours of Hawken on all Ultra settings this afternoon and was seeing 60 to 80 FPS throughout ... with a reasonable average of about 65 FPS ... coming from that Sony (which only had Intel graphics) ... it's mind boggling to see the frames pushed like that ...

Does it feel uncomfortably warm?  I am sure there are others than run warmer, but I have never used a gaming notebook this thin before. 
I am no stranger to high notebook temps...  Owned a 2004 Toshiba that ran so hot the bottom cracked.  Friend had a similar model and it cracked too! 

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5,835 of 9,120

Does it feel uncomfortably warm?  I am sure there are others than run warmer, but I have never used a gaming notebook this thin before. 
I am no stranger to high notebook temps...  Owned a 2004 Toshiba that ran so hot the bottom cracked.  Friend had a similar model and it cracked too! 

I only use it on a desk (at work) ... though I have felt around the bottom and the only part that gets hot is the very rear, near where the dual exhaust vents are ... I don't think I would enjoy extended use with the thing on my lap. :) ...

I've looked at some laptop coolers but reviews clearly show that none of them really do much more than knock a degree or two off of load temps ... otherwise, I think those coolers are mostly appropriate for folks who actually sit their laptop in their laps ... 

I ran Prime95 on it for about 30 minutes earlier and CPU temps maxed at 80C ... normal use would never see that much stress though and so I'm not too concerned. Idle temps are around 47C to 54C .. which again is better than my old Sony, which idle mid 60's ... but still freakishly high compared to my 5ghz 2700K desktop machine, which idles at 30C or so in the same room.

The air coming out the back of the thing, during a Furmark run or long gaming sessions is freakin hot as hell ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back