PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,851 of 9,120

Honestly I've wanted the OnePlus One since it was announced, and I'm an Apple junkie. But I'll never buy one simply because I feel that it's too big. With my hand size, the absolute limit of a phone for me is right around the 4.5" zone depending on the bezel thickness. I don't like big phones and that's a complete deal breaker for me. I know it doesn't bother many other people, and if the One ever gets scaled down in size without sacrificing specs, I'd be on board in a heartbeat.

They've been delayed thanks to an SSL exploit that was located, but I'm glad they found that before shipping.

I used to think the same

Until I used the S5 today. 

If the OnePlus was a contract phone like everyother but at $100, I probably wouldn't consider it. But it isn't. It's $299 lol

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #5,852 of 9,120
As far as smartphones go, I'm just waiting for Samsung to announce the inevitable Galaxy Note IV before the end of the year so I can step up to that when my contract expires in December.

I normally wouldn't be itching to replace my Galaxy S III that quickly, but I really want that Wacom digitizer!

Those seem a bit high... ?  
How is your thermal gel? Did you apply it right and or correctly?

Bit high? No kidding!

I used Prolimatech PK-3, which is an absolute pain to spread out (though I didn't use the "bag and boil in water" trick some suggested to soften it). It's reviewed as one of the best thermal compounds on the market, only edged out by Gelid GC-Extreme (which I only found out AFTER buying a big tube of PK-3).

I don't think that's the problem at the moment, but rather what Intel slipped underneath that heatspreader, if not the way the IHS is glued to the CPU package.

You have to delid because the stock thermal paste applied between the IHS and die is really sloppily applied, so no matter how good your custom loop is it will be bottlenecked by that. And just to clarify, you don't actually have to mount directly to the die, you just need to redo the thermal paste.  
My ambient temp is 15C (measured with a NIST traceable calibrated food thermometer XD), and I'm getting 81C with LinX, 3770k @ 4.2ghz, 1.200v under load. I'm using a D14 by the way, so I'm guessing your room is a good chunk warmer than mine.

If the usual Liquid Pro/Ultra underneath the IHS is good enough to justify not leaving that poor, fragile die exposed, I might just keep the IHS for peace of mind.

My main concern has to do with a few reports of that liquid metal stuff drying out eventually after a year or two and spiking up temps far worse than they initially started off at. Needless to say, I want this to be a "set and forget" solution underneath the IHS, no pump-out or other crap. Almost makes it seem like it's more practical to just go bare die mount and take the IHS completely out of the equation. MSI or some other manufacturer should sell these replacement LGA1150 braces separately, ready to mount on any motherboard.

Ambient temps were guesstimated by mobo temps and the upstairs thermostat, though the computer itself is downstairs in a different room. I need a proper thermometer. This I will say, though: it's Georgia, it's summer time, and back during winter when idle temps were sub-30c, I had to wear a jacket down there to keep warm! I don't need to do that now due to the general increase in ambient temps.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #5,853 of 9,120
  As far as smartphones go, I'm just waiting for Samsung to announce the inevitable Galaxy Note IV before the end of the year so I can step up to that when my contract expires in December.

I normally wouldn't be itching to replace my Galaxy S III that quickly, but I really want that Wacom digitizer!

Bit high? No kidding!

I used Prolimatech PK-3, which is an absolute pain to spread out (though I didn't use the "bag and boil in water" trick some suggested to soften it). It's reviewed as one of the best thermal compounds on the market, only edged out by Gelid GC-Extreme (which I only found out AFTER buying a big tube of PK-3).

I don't think that's the problem at the moment, but rather what Intel slipped underneath that heatspreader, if not the way the IHS is glued to the CPU package.

If the usual Liquid Pro/Ultra underneath the IHS is good enough to justify not leaving that poor, fragile die exposed, I might just keep the IHS for peace of mind.

My main concern has to do with a few reports of that liquid metal stuff drying out eventually after a year or two and spiking up temps far worse than they initially started off at. Needless to say, I want this to be a "set and forget" solution underneath the IHS, no pump-out or other crap. Almost makes it seem like it's more practical to just go bare die mount and take the IHS completely out of the equation. MSI or some other manufacturer should sell these replacement LGA1150 braces separately, ready to mount on any motherboard.

Ambient temps were guesstimated by mobo temps and the upstairs thermostat, though the computer itself is downstairs in a different room. I need a proper thermometer. This I will say, though: it's Georgia, it's summer time, and back during winter when idle temps were sub-30c, I had to wear a jacket down there to keep warm! I don't need to do that now due to the general increase in ambient temps.

Lumia 930/Icon please

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #5,854 of 9,120

Honestly I've wanted the OnePlus One since it was announced, and I'm an Apple junkie. But I'll never buy one simply because I feel that it's too big. With my hand size, the absolute limit of a phone for me is right around the 4.5" zone depending on the bezel thickness. I don't like big phones and that's a complete deal breaker for me. I know it doesn't bother many other people, and if the One ever gets scaled down in size without sacrificing specs, I'd be on board in a heartbeat.

They've been delayed thanks to an SSL exploit that was located, but I'm glad they found that before shipping.

Lumia 930/Icon please.
P.S: The Heartbleed SSL exploit has been around for awhile now... 

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #5,855 of 9,120
Hey guys, I just got a Crucial M500 for my b-day (yay!), I formatted the thing in NTFS in Disk Management. The thing is, it still doesn't show up in the "My Computer"thingy. Any help?
EDIT: NEVER MIND. I GOT IT. BUT I could also use some help on moving programs and any data that corresponds with them, since i don't really want to copy everything onto the SSD. Either way it would be too small, so yeah. Thanks for any help :D

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #5,856 of 9,120
  Hey guys, I just got a Crucial M500 for my b-day (yay!), I formatted the thing in NTFS in Disk Management. The thing is, it still doesn't show up in the "My Computer"thingy. Any help?
EDIT: NEVER MIND. I GOT IT. BUT I could also use some help on moving programs and any data that corresponds with them, since i don't really want to copy everything onto the SSD. Either way it would be too small, so yeah. Thanks for any help :D

What are you doing with it?

Most of the time, people that get an SSD use it for the OS (since you made an announcement with a yay, I'm assuming you didn't have one), and thus never even touch Windows Disk Management software (which is pretty limited and crappy at times).

If your computer doesn't have an SSD already, .....make it so. Use disk migration software and remember to either keep BIOS settings or change Windows registry after the move.

If you suddenly change your boot BIOS or UEFI setting for the SSD to AHCI when before it wasn't, you need to change your Windows registry after migration else you get a schiit ton of issues. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #5,857 of 9,120
  What are you doing with it?

Most of the time, people that get an SSD use it for the OS (since you made an announcement with a yay, I'm assuming you didn't have one), and thus never even touch Windows Disk Management software (which is pretty limited and crappy at times).

If your computer doesn't have an SSD already, .....make it so. Use disk migration software and remember to either keep BIOS settings or change Windows registry after the move.

If you suddenly change your boot BIOS or UEFI setting for the SSD to AHCI when before it wasn't, you need to change your Windows registry after migration else you get a schiit ton of issues. 

I'm gonna throw in my OS, some Steam games, etc. I still have my HDD installed so that's gonna be used for file storage.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #5,859 of 9,120
  So yeah, migrate it or fresh instal

Yeah, I got this planned out. I'm gonna do a fresh install of Windows onto my SSD. I'm currently backing up any Steam games to put onto the drive. After all that is said and done, I'll set my SSd as the boot drive, etc. etc. and throwing on the rest of my crap on my SSD. Then I'll delete Windows off of my HDD.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5,860 of 9,120
  Yeah, I got this planned out. I'm gonna do a fresh install of Windows onto my SSD. I'm currently backing up any Steam games to put onto the drive. After all that is said and done, I'll set my SSd as the boot drive, etc. etc. and throwing on the rest of my crap on my SSD. Then I'll delete Windows off of my HDD.

Steam is a bit weird sometimes, remember to keep the steam.exe in the folder where your games are located and to add library locations once you boot steam up

Remember to Delete System 32 to boost performance on your HDD. First time this advice actually isn't a joke lol. Extra files like that sitting there can produce conflicts. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,861 of 9,120
Steam is a bit weird sometimes, remember to keep the steam.exe in the folder where your games are located and to add library locations once you boot steam up

Remember to Delete System 32 to boost performance on your HDD. First time this advice actually isn't a joke lol. Extra files like that sitting there can produce conflicts. 
I can't wait till someone reads that, misconstrues what you meant, thinks that it actually can speed up your drive, and blows up his PC.
EDIT: So, everything's up and running, but the thing is, Origin won't recognize that my games are still on the old drive. Any halp? Sorry for all the questions and posting. I'm still learning. :xf_eek:

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,864 of 9,120
Hey I remember quite a while ago when you were talking about mini gaming rigs some one brought up these great little devices that you can use to power and connect random LCD panels to hdmi/displayport etc.  What are those called again? LCD controllers, I'm about to pick one up. My sister has a laptop that she spilled a drink on,  I've already taken the hdd out and used it as an external drive/back up and it's just been sitting at her place for a over a year now.  It'd be cool to have like 1.5 monitors even though my desk is huge.

Even though I'm banned from battlelog and have been for almost a year, I somehow got into the hardline beta.  It just got done downloading oh god.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5,865 of 9,120
  Hey I remember quite a while ago when you were talking about mini gaming rigs some one brought up these great little devices that you can use to power and connect random LCD panels to hdmi/displayport etc.  What are those called again? LCD controllers, I'm about to pick one up. My sister has a laptop that she spilled a drink on,  I've already taken the hdd out and used it as an external drive/back up and it's just been sitting at her place for a over a year now.  It'd be cool to have like 1.5 monitors even though my desk is huge.

Even though I'm banned from battlelog and have been for almost a year, I somehow got into the hardline beta.  It just got done downloading oh god.

I believe they were called LCD Inverters

Banned? Why? Potty Mouth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back