PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #5,686 of 9,120
Watch Dogs torrents are already readily available which means people have already uploaded gameplay... The game looks like a total PoS nothing special at all.  It's also terribly optimized just like Assassins Creed people with i7s and 780ti's are reporting 20 fps.  I remember how excited I was for this game I know ubisoft is terrible but I was way too optimistic.

May 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,687 of 9,120
  Watch Dogs torrents are already readily available which means people have already uploaded gameplay... The game looks like a total PoS nothing special at all.  It's also terribly optimized just like Assassins Creed people with i7s and 780ti's are reporting 20 fps.  I remember how excited I was for this game I know ubisoft is terrible but I was way too optimistic.

There are a few torrents with a bitcoin mining malware (or litecoin). Don't trust any of the torrents for now.

May 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #5,688 of 9,120
  There are a few torrents with a bitcoin mining malware (or litecoin). Don't trust any of the torrents for now.

oooh yeah I've heard about those.  I'm not even considering pirating it (or buying it) in the state it's currently in.  Watching gameplay people have uploaded of it so far completely turns me off from it.  Some of the random characters dialogue on the streets does seem pretty funny though. 

May 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #5,689 of 9,120
Oh and since this is the PC-fi thread, I guess this goes here, I won 3rd place at state for computer science. ^.^

May 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #5,691 of 9,120
I'm just staring at the NCASE M1 and the Alienware Steam Machine and I'm just itching to redesign (NCASE M1) or recreate (alienware steambox) them.

NCASE M1 I'm thinking about flipping it onto what's currently the front panel so it has a smaller footprint. This also allows people to backpack a thick 240mm radiator onto the case instead of having to sacrifice for a thinner 240mm with either just pull or just push in the chassis itself. The issue with this though is that I'd have to add a top compartment for hiding cables, etc. (also allows for me to stack another radiator on top) which would increase the overall volume of the case. I also hate the fact that is has no back area for cable management (most mITX cases don't either) which annoys the living daylights out of me. Really something I want to get into a working project.

The Alienware Steam Machine also has me extremely intrigued. I remember Alienware saying that it won't be upgrade-able so they're going to refresh it every year, so they're most likely using proprietary parts. That's not what interests me though. I love the form factor of it. It would only allow it to be used for air cooling but whatever. I want a nice compact mITX case the size of a PS4 at the largest or possibly as small as a Wii (not the Wii U, which is slightly bigger in width and height but much longer in depth). The Alienware box would make a good challenge. Already spent half of this afternoon looking for some combination that would work. If I had to slap together some parts together to use, I'd probably end up with a mITX board with the CPU socket as far away from the PCIe slot as possible. This lets me use a flexible PCIe riser so I can position the graphics card to have the fan intake pointing upwards away from the mobo and have it float over the motherboard. The PSU is the thing is so small I'm worried if I can keep to the 8" x 8" x 3" dimensions of the Alienware. I started looking at TFX and server power supplies since they're small (smaller than SFX at least). PicoPSUs are too weak so I eliminated them from the list. There are some nice 350-500W server and TFX PSUs from SeaSonic with at least a 24 pin and a 4 pin connector. I need another 4 pin so I need to find one with two 4-pin molex connectors since you can use those with a 2x4-pin molex to 8-pin CPU connector to provide the full CPU power needed. I'll probably try to use the GTX750 Ti as the GPU since it's so power efficient and doesn't require extra connectors (some models have a 6-pin which I can be easily dealt with, probably). The 750Ti has a peak power consumption of around 300W in Furmark from Anandtech tests + an 84W CPU (peak 100-ish Watts) so that means around 400-450W of power draw. There are 500W TFX and Server PSU's w/ 80 Plus Gold from SeaSonic (so efficient and from a good brand) so those might work. I just need to find a way to fit the PSU in. I don't know what the internals look like but they're probably one long PCB which will be problematic since just the GPU and Mobo already take up a lot of the space.

That quickly moves me towards my second option: use an Intel NUC as the base. They aren't very expandable which is a huge issue. I could try to run the GPU like an external GPU (as you can do with laptops) where the GPU is connected via Thunderbolt, USB, mSATA, SATA, etc. Some NUCs have a spare SATA connector with them or an empty mSATA for an SSD. I could try to connect the GPU that way but it would still require an external power supply, but with the size of a NUC, I could probably fit a TFX PSU without worries and still hit that Wii-sized quota.

Just some random ramblings after a morning and afternoon of lots of research.

May 27, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #5,692 of 9,120
Speaking of cases:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-02/

Now of course, everything from Lian-Li is well designed and looks either like utter rubbish or the most fap-worthy awesomest hypnotoad case ever. But still, this one's very good looking and would be pretty darned awesome for keeping your dinner plate warm while gaming.

Obviously anyone can do this with the help of IKEA or some other furniture shop, and a screwdriver, and I've seen people DIY these themselves, but Lian-Li is bringing this to the "public".

May 27, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #5,693 of 9,120
  I'm just staring at the NCASE M1 and the Alienware Steam Machine and I'm just itching to redesign (NCASE M1) or recreate (alienware steambox) them.

NCASE M1 I'm thinking about flipping it onto what's currently the front panel so it has a smaller footprint. This also allows people to backpack a thick 240mm radiator onto the case instead of having to sacrifice for a thinner 240mm with either just pull or just push in the chassis itself. The issue with this though is that I'd have to add a top compartment for hiding cables, etc. (also allows for me to stack another radiator on top) which would increase the overall volume of the case. I also hate the fact that is has no back area for cable management (most mITX cases don't either) which annoys the living daylights out of me. Really something I want to get into a working project.

The Alienware Steam Machine also has me extremely intrigued. I remember Alienware saying that it won't be upgrade-able so they're going to refresh it every year, so they're most likely using proprietary parts. That's not what interests me though. I love the form factor of it. It would only allow it to be used for air cooling but whatever. I want a nice compact mITX case the size of a PS4 at the largest or possibly as small as a Wii (not the Wii U, which is slightly bigger in width and height but much longer in depth). The Alienware box would make a good challenge. Already spent half of this afternoon looking for some combination that would work. If I had to slap together some parts together to use, I'd probably end up with a mITX board with the CPU socket as far away from the PCIe slot as possible. This lets me use a flexible PCIe riser so I can position the graphics card to have the fan intake pointing upwards away from the mobo and have it float over the motherboard. The PSU is the thing is so small I'm worried if I can keep to the 8" x 8" x 3" dimensions of the Alienware. I started looking at TFX and server power supplies since they're small (smaller than SFX at least). PicoPSUs are too weak so I eliminated them from the list. There are some nice 350-500W server and TFX PSUs from SeaSonic with at least a 24 pin and a 4 pin connector. I need another 4 pin so I need to find one with two 4-pin molex connectors since you can use those with a 2x4-pin molex to 8-pin CPU connector to provide the full CPU power needed. I'll probably try to use the GTX750 Ti as the GPU since it's so power efficient and doesn't require extra connectors (some models have a 6-pin which I can be easily dealt with, probably). The 750Ti has a peak power consumption of around 300W in Furmark from Anandtech tests + an 84W CPU (peak 100-ish Watts) so that means around 400-450W of power draw. There are 500W TFX and Server PSU's w/ 80 Plus Gold from SeaSonic (so efficient and from a good brand) so those might work. I just need to find a way to fit the PSU in. I don't know what the internals look like but they're probably one long PCB which will be problematic since just the GPU and Mobo already take up a lot of the space.

That quickly moves me towards my second option: use an Intel NUC as the base. They aren't very expandable which is a huge issue. I could try to run the GPU like an external GPU (as you can do with laptops) where the GPU is connected via Thunderbolt, USB, mSATA, SATA, etc. Some NUCs have a spare SATA connector with them or an empty mSATA for an SSD. I could try to connect the GPU that way but it would still require an external power supply, but with the size of a NUC, I could probably fit a TFX PSU without worries and still hit that Wii-sized quota.

Just some random ramblings after a morning and afternoon of lots of research.

I have to admit: I haven't really, fully understood the Steambox. Like, at all. Also, you're the first person I've seen talking about it for months now.

It can't really compete with already *very, incredibly, shockingly* popular AND integrated powerhouse consoles like PS, Xbox or even Wii. Especially now that PS and Xbox are moving closer to PC graphics (yeah I know, they're not there yet, but I hardly think Joe Schmoe cares when he sits 3 meter from his TV). It can't really compete with PC's either since, Pc gaming is PC gaming is Steambox gaming is PC gaming (?).

From my understanding the Steambox is basically a HTPC, but for gaming purposes. In order words, a PC console? I still don't get it. Who is it tailored to, and why should anyone get one instead of a regular PC or a gaming console?

Not sure if I come off as a sceptic, but I didn't intend to. I just don't understand it. Oh, this will come off as sceptical though: I have a feeling that it will soon be gone.

May 27, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #5,694 of 9,120
  From my understanding the Steambox is basically a HTPC, but for gaming purposes. In order words, a PC console? I still don't get it. Who is it tailored to, and why should anyone get one instead of a regular PC or a gaming console?

Not sure if I come off as a sceptic, but I didn't intend to. I just don't understand it. Oh, this will come off as sceptical though: I have a feeling that it will soon be gone.

I think it's for the guys who want to get into PC gaming that don't exactly want to build their own system, and the kind of guy who just wants to have the PC hooked up to the TV used purely as a gaming machine, as one would do a console. I guess it's more of a complimentary thing to a console, as I guess having a console + PC would be more appealing than having both consoles.

With economies of scale, good support and convenience, I think it could be a viable alternative to buying a prebuilt or putting a computer together for those looking to spend around the $400 mark.

May 27, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #5,695 of 9,120

I think it's for the guys who want to get into PC gaming that don't exactly want to build their own system, and the kind of guy who just wants to have the PC hooked up to the TV used purely as a gaming machine, as one would do a console. I guess it's more of a complimentary thing to a console, as I guess having a console + PC would be more appealing than having both consoles.

With economies of scale, good support and convenience, I think it could be a viable alternative to buying a prebuilt or putting a computer together for those looking to spend around the $400 mark.

Still, is that a large enough demographic to build a system of different manufacturers and developers around?

Sure, it may be a viable alternative to a prebuilt computer, but I don't know, I personally don't feel the attraction. I'm not going to write people off for being attracted to it, I mean, it'd be great to have another competitor on the market. I just am extremely sceptical about the whole thing and while Gabe can be a genius at times, this time I suspect he isn't. Oh well, we'll see in due time how it develops.

May 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,696 of 9,120
Congrats, what for exactly?
programming, I'm studying on the usaco website and can.even do the online contests once they start back up next year, everything checks runtime and such, you have to keep in under 1 second, difficult shizz. I also learned python Sunday, super easy language, I picked it up in about an hour and it's good for beginners

May 27, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5,697 of 9,120
Just ordered one of these this week. Had to sell the farm but meh ... I'm sick of not being able to game on my laptop ... 

I opted for the 860M so as to be able to afford a 500gb solid state drive for the OS ... 

http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p35gv2cf2-preorder-p-7098.html

May 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #5,698 of 9,120
  I have to admit: I haven't really, fully understood the Steambox. Like, at all. Also, you're the first person I've seen talking about it for months now.

It can't really compete with already *very, incredibly, shockingly* popular AND integrated powerhouse consoles like PS, Xbox or even Wii. Especially now that PS and Xbox are moving closer to PC graphics (yeah I know, they're not there yet, but I hardly think Joe Schmoe cares when he sits 3 meter from his TV). It can't really compete with PC's either since, Pc gaming is PC gaming is Steambox gaming is PC gaming (?).

I don't understand the SteamBox either. They're quite literally building HTPCs that run Linux.

For the amount of hardware you can fit into the size of a PS4, you probably could. The PS4 and XBONE run an AMD APU and uses the integrated GPU on the chip. It's fairly strong, but can't hold its own. You could probably fit a mITX motherboard with a half-decent cooler and a 750Ti in that space (which is what I want to see done).

If we're talking about price/performance, then that's a completely different story. For $399, the PS4 is pretty hard to compete with. It's a nice APU system that runs some other OS with proprietary games (not that it's bad that it's proprietary. The selection is basically the same as PC without that infinite amount of indie games PC has).

Functionality wise it's sort of apples to oranges, since each of the consoles have their own OS and library of games.

Really the only point of a SteamBox is to get out more HTPCs so Valve can march into the TV-living room gaming/console market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back