PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,671 of 9,120
Can anyone tell me what the next best type if audio file is, next to FLAC? I'm gonna assume it's 320kb, but that's only a third of FLAC/ALAC's bitrate.
EDIT: last night, I turned up my GPUs fan to 70% speed just to saw how loud it would be. I put it back down to the normal 30%, but forgot to turn "auto" back on. My GPU sat at 95°C for probably 10-15 min without me knowing... Whoops.

May 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #5,672 of 9,120
Can anyone tell me what the next best type if audio file is, next to FLAC? I'm gonna assume it's 320kb, but that's only a third of FLAC/ALAC's bitrate.
EDIT: last night, I turned up my GPUs fan to 70% speed just to saw how loud it would be. I put it back down to the normal 30%, but forgot to turn "auto" back on. My GPU sat at 95°C for probably 10-15 min without me knowing... Whoops.

I like Vinyl rips, and they usually are in FLAC.  

I do not think there is a 'best' option, but MP3 is the most popular no doubt.  Plenty of other lossless formats, e.g ALAC, WMAL, TTA.
On my iPhone 5s I would have ALAC, and on my Lumia 925 I would have WMAL (.. Well not really..) MP3s are just fine haha

May 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5,675 of 9,120
May 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5,676 of 9,120
I've had it with Wolfenstein The New Order

Shoddy Code, Shoddy Optomization, and piss poor frame rates.

I am running the game at minimum settings and it still is barely playable. GPU usage at around 25% on low and 40% on max settings.

I have tried about 20 differnet combination of graphical settings already and this is just getting old. Some games perform worse at minimum setting than at say medium due to offloading processing to the CPU, but this isn't one of those games so that is out. 

My BIGGEST issue isn't that I get 45fps avg on lowest settings possible. It is the shoddy code with it

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/25o03g/titanfall_frame_rate_also_effects_rate_of_fire/chje5di

Remember this? Titanfall fire rate affected by code? You can read through the comments but some games are coded in a way where frame rate affects the gameplay. This is one of those games. At 25fps, There actually isn't a lot of sudden lag. There is, however, a slow down of everything. You suddenly walk a lot slower, and guess what? So do your enemies.

At 60 fps, both you walking, and your enemies shooting and falling are EXTREMELY fast.

ok. Stop, I know some of you think im crazy. This sounds like the general idea of how 'lag' and FPS works. But you don't get what I mean unless you actually see it. The FPS and gameplay are literally locked into each other. I get naseous playing it due to how sudden the movement speed slows down or enemies start speeding up with my shots.

This here, was after updating everything to even get the game to run in the first place. Do a quick search and you'll find that multitudes of people are having technical problems. One being where the game won't run on Windows 8/8.1 unless you run it in compatability, and also that you absolutely need the latest driver patch or else the game won't start (for some, this included me).

Did I mention the audio synch messes up constantly?

May 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #5,677 of 9,120
That's Depressing, I bought Wolfenstein yesterday. Haven't done the 10 gig update yet, I'm on the road, and tethered to my phone, it would eat all my data. I hope it can run on my Sager laptop, using a 680m.

May 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #5,678 of 9,120
That's Depressing, I bought Wolfenstein yesterday. Haven't done the 10 gig update yet, I'm on the road, and tethered to my phone, it would eat all my data. I hope it can run on my Sager laptop, using a 680m.

Run...most likely.....tear your hair out? Probably. 

May 24, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #5,680 of 9,120
  Pretty interesting read.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ssd-breakthrough-means-300-speed-boost-60-less-power-usage-even-on-old-drives

"SSD breakthrough means 300% speed boost and 60% reduction in power consumption and can be enabled with a firmware update."

Quote:
 If you are reading this on a computer booting from an SSD and are thinking of splashing out on one of these next-generation models equipped with new NAND chips then perhaps you should wait a moment. The changes made by the team were purely software-based
There is definitely a possibility that existing devices still in support by their manufacturers may get firmware updates in the near future so that they store data in the new manner and  benefit from the increased speed, decreased power consumption and increased expected life of drives equipped with the new NAND controller firmware. 

The current key SSD makers are also very beligerent with firmware updates, reliability of them, and being wishy washy in choosing controllers, making their own, or using crap ones. But WAIT, they are going to suddenly change it and give some massive awesome updates so that you don't have to go out and buy their new SSD's?

However, I could still see it as a definite possibility. They don't ALL suck at pushing out firmware updates. And I do have some faith. 

Let's see

May 24, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #5,682 of 9,120
I use opus 1.1 at 192 kbps, sounds at least as good as 320 kbps mp3 and can be used for almost anything. ^.^

May 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #5,683 of 9,120
  Run...most likely.....tear your hair out? Probably. 

You can always try out my Quickscope **/Wolfenstein** engine out!  Mostly complete, even has tacos!!!!

Pretty interesting read.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ssd-breakthrough-means-300-speed-boost-60-less-power-usage-even-on-old-drives

"SSD breakthrough means 300% speed boost and 60% reduction in power consumption and can be enabled with a firmware update."

You think OCZ will push this update any time soon?  
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I use opus 1.1 at 192 kbps, sounds at least as good as 320 kbps mp3 and can be used for almost anything. ^.^

Opus for music?  That is interesting, as I usually associate opus with telephony 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,685 of 9,120

You can always try out my Quickscope **/Wolfenstein** engine out!  Mostly complete, even has tacos!!!!

You think OCZ will push this update any time soon?  :p :p

Opus for music?  That is interesting, as I usually associate opus with telephony :D  
it is good for me saves space and sounds great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back