Paris student needing new headphones
Aug 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Funkyph1l

New Head-Fier
Ok well, I'm new to the website but not new to the headphone industry i have owned and tried many pairs of <£100 headphones and my senhesiers HD228 aren't cutting it anymore.
I have a fairly expensive good quality sound system but i want to take the music on the go now!
So i'm going to invest in buyign some new headphones. I live in london but next year i will be a student in paris (for university).
My budget is £300 max, and i've taken interest into the Bose QC 15. Now because i have been looking at this forum i've seen they've been hated on a lot. So i was wondering if you experts could help me out =D
My criteria:
- I live in a capital and my sixth form/ university is VERY loud, i need isolation even ANC would be good =D
- I listen to Drum and Bass, dubstep, house. Because most of my music is DnB (fast pace a lot happening) i need a good "reaction time"? and clarity.
- I have recently started paying for music because i had enough off 192kb/s rip of youtube, sometimes less. 320kb/s / WAV all the way

I hope you guys can help i absolutly adore my music and absolutly would love to be hearing it on the go.

Thanks in advance.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Ok well, I'm new to the website but not new to the headphone industry i have owned and tried many pairs of <£100 headphones and my senhesiers HD228 aren't cutting it anymore.
I have a fairly expensive good quality sound system but i want to take the music on the go now!
So i'm going to invest in buyign some new headphones. I live in london but next year i will be a student in paris (for university).
My budget is £300 max, and i've taken interest into the Bose QC 15. Now because i have been looking at this forum i've seen they've been hated on a lot. So i was wondering if you experts could help me out =D
My criteria:
- I live in a capital and my sixth form/ university is VERY loud, i need isolation even ANC would be good =D
- I listen to Drum and Bass, dubstep, house. Because most of my music is DnB (fast pace a lot happening) i need a good "reaction time"? and clarity.
- I have recently started paying for music because i had enough off 192kb/s rip of youtube, sometimes less. 320kb/s / WAV all the way

I hope you guys can help i absolutly adore my music and absolutly would love to be hearing it on the go.

Thanks in advance.
bigsmile_face.gif

It would help if you told us what the headphones are going to be plugged into.
Will it be an mp3 player (Ipod?), headphone amplifier?, computer (what sound card?).
Details please.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 13
D-D-D-Denon!

Denon D2000

I was very pleased with what I heard with them. Isolation is fairly good too!

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks guys for the quick reply

Quote:
It would help if you told us what the headphones are going to be plugged into.
Will it be an mp3 player (Ipod?), headphone amplifier?, computer (what sound card?).
Details please.

It would be an iPod classic 160GB, and occasionally my computer which, to save money, doens't have a sound card

Quote:
D-D-D-Denon!

Denon D2000

I was very pleased with what I heard with them. Isolation is fairly good too!

Would they be good for my kind of music? are they suitable for on the go?

Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone Pro 900 + PA2V2

Very best,

Again similar question, i will look into them, thanks!
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
My criteria:

Thanks in advance.
bigsmile_face.gif

Looks like my 666 post count streak has to end somewhere...

Anyway, no, the QC15 is NOT hated around here. If they are, well, it's probably just a few wannabes ranting on Bose. The QC15 is a very good noise-cancelling headphone, but it's only good when you are a frequent flyer. Otherwise, since you just want peace in a university, NC isn't going to cut it as it isolates only the low frequencies.

As for alternatives, I would recommend the Pro 900 like Mal, but it isn't exactly the most portable headphone around. They do work very well with your genres though, and have very good (and loud) bass.

The Sennheiser HD25 is other very good option. Punchy sound (A.K.A. good "reaction time") as well as good clarity. Very good for those pacey music like hip-hop and electronic, and even does rock very well due to its airier treble. The Ultrasones on the other hand, projects vocals a little less... naturally... but is superior to the HD25 in terms of bass quality.

Good luck on your search.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 13
I am considering these headphones at the moment and require a bit more information. Do these require amps or special equipment/ accesories? Do they sap a lot of energy? Isolation? etc...
Sennheiser HD25-1 II (£100)
Ultrasone Pro 750/ 900 (£250 / £300 respecitvely) (are the Pro 900 open back? still needing a lot of isolation here)
Denon AH-D2000 (£200~£300)
Bose QC 15 (£300) (it's still a good headphone)
Audio technica ATH-M50 (£130)
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (£240)

Please feel free to suggest more headphones =D
Thanks again.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 13
I would vote for the HD-25 II because I have them and these are just wonderful for portable use + a very good isolation + you dont need an amp (at least I dont need one with my Clip+). Another option and I am wondering why nobody mentioned them, would be the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm?? But maybe these are a little bit unpracticable for portable use..

PS: I will stop posting :) it is a nice number right now..

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I would vote for the HD-25 II because I have them and these are just wonderful for portable use + a very good isolation + you don't need an amp (at least I don't need one with my Clip+). Another option and I am wondering why nobody mentioned them, would be the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm?? But maybe these are a little bit unpracticable for portable use..

PS: I will stop posting :) it is a nice number right now..

Funny you should talk about the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohms, I'm wearing mine right now.
"Unpractical" should up to the individual.  You can get refurbished DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, off eBay, for a good price.
I think they are great for waking me up in the morning (BASS).

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 13
READ/ HELP!! =D guys, i am considering these headphones but i still would like it if someone could give me some comparison between these headphones and answer my questions:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II (£100) These seem really cheap are they really good?

Ultrasone Pro 750/ 900 (£250 / £300 respecitvely) Do these require an AMP? are the closed back?

Denon AH-D2000 (£200~£300) Not sure about these, not toooo much hype about them Strong points/ weak points?

Bose QC 15 (£300) (it's still a good headphone)

Audio technica ATH-M50 (£130) Again are these really good?

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (£240) These seem really good? Require an amp?

Thanks again :wink:

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 13
maybe M50s or any of the beyers, dt 770 or 990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back