Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or her) collection. Approved by Lorretta, Judean People's Front
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #61 of 79
My Unboxing:

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:
you think so ? i have some bi-flanges from the re-252/zero/272

i never thought of trying these ones on the eq5

maybe this will tame their harshness ?

thanx for the idea

edit : nope , they sound even more sibilant and i had to stop listenig with the eq5 - in fact , i tried the bi-flanges on my re-272 (i usually listen to them with some medium sony fake hybrids)  and they sound much,much better - in fact they sound fantastic

oh well , guess the re-272 will sound better than the eq5 in any given tip combination...nevermind

Fake Hybrids sound very different and wrong to me on the EQ5 while the genuine article happens to mate very well.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #63 of 79
i agree in a way , the fake hybrid kinda muffle their sound and the stock tips seem much better

so i had an epiphany last night and i tried them with the stock hifiman re-zero/252/262/272 large single-flange tips

and holy **** , this was a great pairing i think

first of all i get a very deep/tight fit and the 'sibilance' i encountered seems to disappear

i will try them with various FLAC recordings and come back with more feedback but at first hearing i was very pleasantly surprised

let's see , maybe i found a nice tip for these babies

Quote:
Fake Hybrids sound very different and wrong to me on the EQ5 while the genuine article happens to mate very well.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #64 of 79
i would suggest you do a direct comparison between these eq5 and gr8

i always wanted to try/buy gr-10 and even a comparison of the eq5 with the gr8 will prove enlightingly useful

enjoy your new iems and we'll be waiting for your opinions

Quote:
My Unboxing:

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:
i would suggest you do a direct comparison between these eq5 and gr8

i always wanted to try/buy gr-10 and even a comparison of the eq5 with the gr8 will prove enlightingly useful

enjoy your new iems and we'll be waiting for your opinions

Okay in that case i will be doing a direct comparison review of the two IEMs but it is at the back of a large pecking order of reviews so could be more than two weeks (hopefully a lot less). I can already comment they are a fair bit different even with the similar technologies.

Thanks a lot mate!

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #66 of 79
Coincidentally, my next review will be the GR8! Spoiler: I prefer them to the e-Q5 because of fit. They will not however, get as good overall marks. Grado went half-arsed in everything but sound (which is exquisite) where I think they nearly reign supreme thanks to their high Ω, though I feel that sensitivity could be a bit lower for hissy sources. Lovely lovely crap.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #67 of 79
Ordered some of these today,looking forward to seeing what the hype is about.

Excellent aervice!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #68 of 79
Hi Shigzeo,

May I ask how does CK10 and EQ5 compared?

I owned the EQ5 and agree with what you have mentioned, but am interested in the AT CK10 as my experience with AT has been the nice vocal presentation.

Could you do a brief comparison between them two?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #69 of 79
Quote:
Hi Shigzeo,

May I ask how does CK10 and EQ5 compared?

I owned the EQ5 and agree with what you have mentioned, but am interested in the AT CK10 as my experience with AT has been the nice vocal presentation.

Could you do a brief comparison between them two?

Thanks in advance.

Hello lincm:

The CK10 is somewhat more 'liquid' in the vocal area, but apart from that, a slightly less impactful/fun earphone. Its width and detail are second to none (in the midrange), but low midrange and mid-upper bass lacks the more visceral impact of the eQ5. Soundwise, it's hard to say which I prefer between them. Fit-wise, the CK10 wins hands down. Plus, it is built much much better. No competition. 

The eQ5 has a less scratchy high end, too and isn't worried by poor quality ear tips like the CK10 is. If I were to drag other names into this (which I will), I'd call the CK10 a ToGo! 111 and the eQ5 a 4 or 3.Ai - if you get fit and everything right, the CK10 is perfect, but if you don't the 3.Ai and 4.Ai are more fun.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #70 of 79
Hi Shigzeo,

Thanks for the reply. That being said, the CK10 is well suited for vocal and especially female vocals (due to liquid mids and a more pronounced highs? If I understood well).

Where the Ortofon is better overall especially if one tends prefer simple insertion. It makes wearing them easier. Hence the comparison to the Heir Audio Customs, where fitting would be the least of the issue.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation!

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #72 of 79
shigzeo,

Which one do you think has more low/mid bass impact ? Westone 4 or e-q5 ?

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #73 of 79
I briefly tried the W4 and have the EQ5.

First impression, W4 sounded like enhanced Shure Se530, with existing high (Treble) and plentiful Bass (Not to the extend of Basshead though).

Moving from Shure Se530 to EQ5 did let me down by a lot. It didn't have adequate amount of Bass enjoy the music.

After 3 months of using EQ5, I begin to appreciate the EQ5 Bass, just right in the quantity and tighter/more accurate Bass, Shure Se530 Bass becomes muddy, and the entire frequency becomes less clear.

Mid/Low Bass
W4 > EQ5

Anything more will need Shigzeo to say about. Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #74 of 79
there is a sale at musica acoustics

198$ , shipping included

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #75 of 79

Users who are viewing this thread

Back