Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #781 of 1,026
I used these for about a week (a few hours a day). The bass was very disappointing. Many of the songs I listen to use bass tones as part of the beat which seemed to be very lacking.
I was disappointed to the point that I had to get different ones. I'm actually looking to sell them but I need to get to 15 posts first.

These are more for rock and instrumental music (ie classical). Anything with bass will just be a disappointment.

Although these headphones DO have incredible sound definition; the best I've heard infact.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #782 of 1,026
Alright so I'm a bit disappointed... 

I have had these for about 5 or so months (bought them second hand), and already my cable is not working properly. When the headphones are playing music, the right ear goes in and out because the cable must be torn inside the headphone. Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem or not? The original owner only used them a handful of times, and I have used them for the past 5 months. If there isn't a solution of some sort, I guess I'm getting a pair of Grados. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #783 of 1,026
Quote:
Alright so I'm a bit disappointed... 

I have had these for about 5 or so months (bought them second hand), and already my cable is not working properly. When the headphones are playing music, the right ear goes in and out because the cable must be torn inside the headphone. Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem or not? The original owner only used them a handful of times, and I have used them for the past 5 months. If there isn't a solution of some sort, I guess I'm getting a pair of Grados. 

Hello, do you happen to know where this unit was originally purchased from?
If ordered originally from MA website  and it is still under warranty, it can replace/repair free of charge.
for any questions, please contact us via our webpage contact email   or PM .

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #784 of 1,026
I used these for about a week (a few hours a day). The bass was very disappointing. Many of the songs I listen to use bass tones as part of the beat which seemed to be very lacking.
I was disappointed to the point that I had to get different ones. I'm actually looking to sell them but I need to get to 15 posts first.

These are more for rock and instrumental music (ie classical). Anything with bass will just be a disappointment.

Although these headphones DO have incredible sound definition; the best I've heard infact.

The bass does work well for me, and I listed to EDM mostly Trance.

They are so good with this genre I'm thinking of getting another pair.

You should let them burn in your a while and try getting a better seal. The bass is definitely there.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #786 of 1,026
Picked up a pair from Amazon JP and waiting for them to arrive at Tenso and get forwarded. Will update when they have arrived. I'm very curious on how they sound though!

Congrats on your purchase mate! :wink:

I'm sure you'll love them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #787 of 1,026
How much does Tenso charge for their service to the US.  The e-Q5 on Amazon.jp is only $148 which is $50 cheaper than any other place I've seen and I really want another pair.  So how much would I have to pay Tenso, is it a flat fee or does the price and something size and weight add to the cost?

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #788 of 1,026
How much does Tenso charge for their service to the US.  The e-Q5 on Amazon.jp is only $148 which is $50 cheaper than any other place I've seen and I really want another pair.  So how much would I have to pay Tenso, is it a flat fee or does the price and something size and weight add to the cost?

You can calculate the costs on their website. It's based on weight, which should be around 500g. If you are patient enough, I can let you know in a couple of days what the exact weight is after they processed mine! :)

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #789 of 1,026

Haha decided to return to the Ortofon kru? :p

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #790 of 1,026

Oh and FWIW, it would cost 1550 yen to the U.S., EMS and free insurance. They have a deal running now that if you upload a scan of your ID that you get a coupon for either free service + shipping, free shipping, free service or 500 yen discount if you don't get the above. Total should thus be around 1000 yen for you, or lower, which is 8 usd. :) A steal, right?

Edit: by japanese law, everyone needs to do so by the 1st of april, but they offer a bonus if you do it now.. :)

Edit 2: I miscalculated the above as it would have been 1990 - 500 for the above. However, Tenso just received my package (really quick!) and weighed it at 260 grams, so that would make it 1690-500 (if you get the coupon) = 1190 Yen = 12,75 USD (also miscalculated in EUR instead of Yen.. it was rather early when I posted this)

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #791 of 1,026
Well I have a silver pair ordered that I hope I get in 10 to 12 days, so happy I picked up another pair after I sold them because they're a great IEM in SQ and build.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #793 of 1,026
Got them in the mail yesterday, so thought I'd share some first impressions.

Oh boy, these are incredibly revealing. Very transparent across all dimensions (i.e. source, file quality but also mastering). Good as I was looking for this, but some badly produced tracks sound somewhat dull. Very picky IMO.

Bass is good. Very quick (as you may expect) and stays accurate with a little boost on 80hz. Interestingly enough, they respond well to tracks that are produced with bass and offer both quality and quantity there. Then again, they get a little shy with some tracks, so again, very revealing. Much better than the RE-0 IMO.

Mids are simply fantastic. Vocals are detailed and overall it sounds very smooth to me. Perhaps a little rougher than the IE7 (but not sure, will have to compare), but definitely more detail.

I expected a little more shimmer in the highs. However, after listening for an hour I started noticing how well they extend. Again, detail is there and surprisingly easy to listen to, i.e. very non-fatiguing to me. Really adds clarity compared to the IE7.

Soundstage is definitely above average. Not as expansive as the IE7, but better imaging/seperation. Will have to compare in more detail, but again I notice significant differences between tracks.

All in all a great IEM, and definitely the best I've had. Like all, it has it's flaws, but will have to listen to them for a longer period. Nothing that worries me.. :) Will let them burn in a little more (10 hours now), but not convinced that these will drastically change.. :wink:

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #794 of 1,026
How do the E-Q5 fare in high frequency extension? I'm looking for an IEM that has a well-extended response on both ends, with a generally neutral sound character. I've heard some people opine that the E-Q5's treble rolls off early, though.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #795 of 1,026
How do the E-Q5 fare in high frequency extension? I'm looking for an IEM that has a well-extended response on both ends, with a generally neutral sound character. I've heard some people opine that the E-Q5's treble rolls off early, though.

The highs are detailed but not sparky, if you're a listener who liked their treble to be on the hot side you might be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back