Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #796 of 1,026
Quote:
The highs are detailed but not sparky, if you're a listener who liked their treble to be on the hot side you might be disappointed.

Agree. My impression is that they extend well, but are indeed not on the hot side, i.e. they are less bright than I expected, but I wouldn't say that they lack treble or roll off early. May I ask what your reference is in treble extension?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #797 of 1,026
Agree. My impression is that they extend well, but are indeed not on the hot side, i.e. they are less bright than I expected, but I wouldn't say that they lack treble or roll off early. May I ask what your reference is in treble extension?

In what sense do you mean "reference"?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #798 of 1,026
It was directed at to the other post actually. I was trying to figure out where he/she was coming from. I.e. I'd say the eq-5 extends very well coming from the IE7, but sounds a little rolled off coming from the re-0. So if he's looking for a re272 with bass, the eq-5 may disappoint.

Personally I would not say they're rolled off, but coming from a hotter pair may definitely give that impression.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #799 of 1,026
Reference for treble extension is say, the Rock It R-50? A tall order, I know. But I'm looking for something like the R-50 with a more convincing, fleshed-out bottom-end, because the R-50 sounded unnaturally thin to me and lacked some realistic bass body and decay.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #801 of 1,026
Sorry for double posting, but just wanted to share that I'm hugely impressed with how lifelike guitars sound. Listening to some 3 doors down here and I m honestly impressed. Need to get my hands on some sony hybrids, because so far only the stock tips seem to work for me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #802 of 1,026
Sorry for double posting, but just wanted to share that I'm hugely impressed with how lifelike guitars sound. Listening to some 3 doors down here and I m honestly impressed. Need to get my hands on some sony hybrids, because so far only the stock tips seem to work for me.

You know that you can edit your posts right mate?

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #804 of 1,026
having the re-272 , i found the highs on the eq-5 at times hot/sibilant

terrific mids/lows (eual, if not better than the re-272) but the treble hotness was bugging me and i sold them

still , a terrific iem and i would suggest them easily , especially for 200$ they are top value

jay-w , the wearability is fine with them on normal wearing - if you put them behind the ear they tend to slip / not fit so well

Quote:
It was directed at to the other post actually. I was trying to figure out where he/she was coming from. I.e. I'd say the eq-5 extends very well coming from the IE7, but sounds a little rolled off coming from the re-0. So if he's looking for a re272 with bass, the eq-5 may disappoint.

Personally I would not say they're rolled off, but coming from a hotter pair may definitely give that impression.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #805 of 1,026
having the re-272 , i found the highs on the eq-5 at times hot/sibilant

terrific mids/lows (eual, if not better than the re-272) but the treble hotness was bugging me and i sold them

still , a terrific iem and i would suggest them easily , especially for 200$ they are top value

You found the treble hot/sibilant? Really?

I find that these have even less extended treble than my Yamaha EPH100.

It's definitely never hot or sparky in any way lol

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #807 of 1,026
The treble extension seems to be a real point of contention among a lot of people, and this is the main thing that gives me pause about the E-Q5. I want something well-extended on either end, and tonally neutral overall (doesn't have to be outright clinical like an Ety), but able to push a realistic bass body if the song calls for it. The E-Q5 looks like it can do the low-end body, but the highs seem to have a lot of people divided.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #808 of 1,026
Quote:
The treble extension seems to be a real point of contention among a lot of people, and this is the main thing that gives me pause about the E-Q5. I want something well-extended on either end, and tonally neutral overall (doesn't have to be outright clinical like an Ety), but able to push a realistic bass body if the song calls for it. The E-Q5 looks like it can do the low-end body, but the highs seem to have a lot of people divided.

Just to put some graphs to the story. FR graph of the RE0:

Ortofon eq-5:

So yes, there is substantial roll-off after 10k. Compared to the RE0, they seem to lose some energy in the high treble. Have a look at the Goldenears website for measurements of other earphones! (though FR graphs only tell part of the story).

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #809 of 1,026
Try the DBA-02 w/ double flange.
Quote:

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #810 of 1,026
Very intrigued by the dba generally, but I have to say I'm a bit
sceptical still about bass body and
decay. The R-50 definitely felt like the TWFK driver is technically lacking there.

quote name="dogears" url="/t/520847/ortofon-e-q5-impressions-thread/795#post_9225740"]Try the DBA-02 w/ double flange. [/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back