Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #811 of 1,026
You just have to try it with the double flange just in case you get the chance :wink: I still have the DBA and E-Q5, the only reason why E-Q5 is winning on me is its 'musicality'. The DBAs are like monitors, clean and faithful to the source. Joker is right to rate E-Q5 lower than the DBAs but by just a bit.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #812 of 1,026
Got my 2nd e-Q5 last week after selling my old one and I don't know why I did in the first place because I love the sound of this IEM as much as the SM3 V2 and think the e-Q5 can hold its own up against the SM3 very well.  Its by far the best single driver IEM I've heard.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #813 of 1,026
Just a little update after one week of listening:

1. They seem to have opened up a little, but this could also be my brain getting used to the sound signature;
  2. I'm having a hard time comparing the soundstage of the eq-5 vs. the IE7. The Sennheiser definitely feels wider, but imaging and placement seems to be so much better on the Ortofon.. I guess this is what people here often report as a more "3D-ish" soundstage. For instance, in some songs it feels like some instruments are being played from behind my ear. On Paranoid Android (Radiohead) I 100% prefer the eq-5's soundstage over the IE7, but on other songs the eq-5 feels more narrow than the latter. Definitely very good, wasn't expecting this.
  3. Clarity and detailing is really impressive. Picking up details I couldn't with the IE7 and RE-0.
  4. Not as musical as the IE7, though I'd still say this is a very musical IEM (definitely not clinical like the RE-0).
  5. The treble is not as energetic as the RE-0, but by no means lacking to me. Out-of-box they sounded a little dull though, but it seems my brain has adjusted to the sound signature. Cymbals sound great and I can easily distinguish the rhythm. People who like their treble hot and forward, however, may be a little disappointed.
  6. I repeat myself, but they are very picky on source, file quality and mastering. Plugged in straight in my HP laptop gives me a nasty hiss, though my laptop from work is acceptable. Cowon D2+ is near quiet and so is my Android phone. Just be aware that they are prone to hissing. Upside is that they are really (and I mean really!) easy to drive. Would it help to add a capacitor or would that mess up the frequency response?

All in all, a fantastic IEM. Thanks for the recommendations, fully enjoying them at the moment!

p.s. Technokid: I get why you like these with your style of music. With a little boost in the bass they handle dance/trance/techno surprisingly well.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #814 of 1,026
Quote:
Just a little update after one week of listening:

1. They seem to have opened up a little, but this could also be my brain getting used to the sound signature;
  2. I'm having a hard time comparing the soundstage of the eq-5 vs. the IE7. The Sennheiser definitely feels wider, but imaging and placement seems to be so much better on the Ortofon.. I guess this is what people here often report as a more "3D-ish" soundstage. For instance, in some songs it feels like some instruments are being played from behind my ear. On Paranoid Android (Radiohead) I 100% prefer the eq-5's soundstage over the IE7, but on other songs the eq-5 feels more narrow than the latter. Definitely very good, wasn't expecting this.
  3. Clarity and detailing is really impressive. Picking up details I couldn't with the IE7 and RE-0.
  4. Not as musical as the IE7, though I'd still say this is a very musical IEM (definitely not clinical like the RE-0).
  5. The treble is not as energetic as the RE-0, but by no means lacking to me. Out-of-box they sounded a little dull though, but it seems my brain has adjusted to the sound signature. Cymbals sound great and I can easily distinguish the rhythm. People who like their treble hot and forward, however, may be a little disappointed.
  6. I repeat myself, but they are very picky on source, file quality and mastering. Plugged in straight in my HP laptop gives me a nasty hiss, though my laptop from work is acceptable. Cowon D2+ is near quiet and so is my Android phone. Just be aware that they are prone to hissing. Upside is that they are really (and I mean really!) easy to drive. Would it help to add a capacitor or would that mess up the frequency response?

All in all, a fantastic IEM. Thanks for the recommendations, fully enjoying them at the moment!

p.s. Technokid: I get why you like these with your style of music. With a little boost in the bass they handle dance/trance/techno surprisingly well.

Yeah they work extremely well with edm and with the C&C BH amp with the bass boost and the soundstage enhancement on they sound great.  I love the bass, its very clean and has the impact and depth of some of the dynamic drivers I've heard along with the awesome mids and soundstage these are definitely one of my all time favorite IEM's for sure.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #815 of 1,026
People that have the UM3X or SM3 or other darker sounding IEM's and think they're to warm or to dark sounding seriously checkout the e-Q5 because its brighter than both of those and has just as good of a soundstage and cost about half as much.  I wasn't expecting the e-Q5 to compare so favorably with the SM3, it was very surprising to me.  I think the e-Q5 has better treble and mids with a nice touch of warmth but not near as warm as the SM3 or UM3X plus it has the same spacious soundstage and has really good 3D imaging as well.  

I've had no problem letting my SM3 go now that I have the e-Q5 because imo its that good.  I know there will be people that think that the e-Q5 isn't as good as the SM3 but I did a good comparison for a few hours today since I can't do much right now so I had the time to do it.  I listen to the same songs and a couple of Dj mixes and over all they were equal and the e-Q5 was even better in some cases.

Even though these have been around for a few years now a good amount of people have bought some I don't think enough people have really looked into getting them, these are a truly top-tier IEM in every way from SQ to the build quality which is top notch.  I'm done with my little rant and I think more people should really consider getting a pair if your looking for a great top-tier IEM that wont brake the bank.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #816 of 1,026
Can any e-Q5 owners confirm exactly what this statement on the Ortofon website means? I emailed Ortofon's customer support twice but have got no reply.

"The cable pulls out of the acoustic chamber, can rotate 360 degrees for easy hanging on any convenient place without worrying about its being kinked or broken."

This seems to suggest a detachable or replaceable cable of some sort?
The quote is taken straight from the e-Q5 product page, here http://www.ortofon.com/products/earphones.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #817 of 1,026
Quote:
Can any e-Q5 owners confirm exactly what this statement on the Ortofon website means? I emailed Ortofon's customer support twice but have got no reply.

"The cable pulls out of the acoustic chamber, can rotate 360 degrees for easy hanging on any convenient place without worrying about its being kinked or broken."

The quote is taken straight from the e-Q5 product page, here http://www.ortofon.com/products/earphones.

I think it just mean the cable is run straight out from the housing unlike other IEM's that are more angled and such, they don't have detachable cable but I agree that its worded very strangely.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #818 of 1,026
Quote:

Not detachable, but what they mean is that there is a strain relieve inside the capsule to prevent it from kinking or breaking (and from tearing due to the aluminium edges). All I can say is that they indeed have quite some flexibility coming out of the casing.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #819 of 1,026
Quite a novel system indeed, I do find it appealing. 

Any GR07 owners in the house? I'd love a comparison of the e-Q5 and the GR07 Mk2 (or Mk 1), in terms of neutrality, general tonal balance, detail retrieval and treble extension and presence.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #820 of 1,026
Quite a novel system indeed, I do find it appealing. 

Any GR07 owners in the house? I'd love a comparison of the e-Q5 and the GR07 Mk2 (or Mk 1), in terms of neutrality, general tonal balance, detail retrieval and treble extension and presence.

EQ5 is more neutral, has a cooler tone. EQ5 has more forward mids and a more forward lower treble. Detail retrieval is such a general term, EQ5 is going to present more significant details forward, but will miss micro-detail of recordings, the air that the GR07 will present. EQ5 rolls-off much earlier than the GR07, the later has more air and presence in the higher treble. Both a bit sibilant imo, the GR07 is a bit mellower though. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #821 of 1,026
Thanks Inks, those are some differences I haven't read about before.

I have some more specific questions regarding the two with respect to an IEM decision I need to make, I'll PM you if that's okay. :)

EDIT: I figured other people reading this might also want to chime in, so instead of derailing this thread with an X vs Y vs Z chain, I'd just post a link here to the thread I started today. Anyone with any advice, insight or suggestions, please do chime in. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654226/sub-200-iem-with-good-end-to-end-extension-and-presence-tonal-neutrality-and-detail-gr07-e-q5-re-400-others

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #822 of 1,026
Selling my silver e-Q5s if anyone is interested.

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #823 of 1,026
So these will either be recorded as one of the most durable IEMs of the century or the Ms. just destroyed them by accidentally running them through the washing machine.. they're in a bowl of rice now, but I'm afraid the moving armature can't take this much abuse.. Have saved other electronics before, but I suppose this is different due to the careful balancing involved?

I'm glad they're not a pair of GR07's or high-end Sony's though, as the bio-diapraghm would surely be destroyed.. fingers crossed!

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #824 of 1,026
So.. they still produce sound, but have become very sibilant, 'tinny' and hollow sounding. Really sucks, as I'm not sure if I can afford another pair on the short term.. sigh, so much for audio nirvana..

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #825 of 1,026
We've all been there at some point where a momentary lapse results in something being lost or ruined but it still sucks when it happens. Sorry to hear you found the limits of the e-q5 durability :frowning2:  A hearty design was a leading criterion in my choosing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back