Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #316 of 1,026
@Pianist: I don't know, construction/cable/lack of shirt clip/over-ear fit have all been well documented in ClieOS' and my posts, as well as other's. Some other claims like the e-Q5 being a good deal smaller or sounding vastly different from/to the e-Q7 are personal opinion and IMO bordering on misinformation. Actually their housing has exactly the same diameter (the e-Q5 being just a bit shorter) and both sound pretty close to each other in a direct A/B comparison. I guess you're judging from memory - and besides, why did you buy them in the first place, despite the fact that their 'design flaws' were already documented in words and pics? No offense, but your post sounds a bit like a rant to me.

(I won't comment on the FA-003 vs. e-Q5 part since I haven't heard the FA-003)

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #317 of 1,026
Judging by your disappointment with the e-Q5s, I have a feeling you'd have been better off with the 262s, even with no amp.

Certainly,judging by my memory of the e-Q7s, the 262s are well ahead of them.

Quote:
Ok guys, I just ordered a pair of these from Musica Acoustics. It took me a while to decide between the e-Q5 and RE262 and in the end I decided to go with the Ortofons as I don't have an amp and need something that won't be crippled too much by weak sources. I hope the e-Q5 will sound like the e-Q7 with smoother treble and a more balanced frequency response. Actually the only reason why I sold the e-Q7 was because I wanted to try the SM3 which was hyped like crazy at the time. SM3 is nice and all, but I want something more musical with more presence in the upper mids and treble. Hopefully the e-Q5 will do it for me. I will be back with impressions as soon as I get them!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #318 of 1,026
Pianist, let them run in some more. I haven't heard the e-Q5 but if it's like the GR10 it does improve over time. Subtle after the start but in the right ways. I find with the Grado, that they're weightier and more interseting with a deeper fit. Took the top a bit to become open enough for this to be all good and for me, it is. The case allows this and for them to be angled nicely up your canal. I suspect the case on the Ortos may hinder this for some more than others. Perhaps you could experiment a bit more with deeper fit or maybe some double flanges to achieve a similar effect. James apparently has very large canals and may get different comparative results than others with wider bodies. I guess that's why even those with similar tastes will still like different things.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #319 of 1,026
x2, and I might add that soundstage too varies considerably with fit. I get a wider stage wearing them over-ear than downwards, presumably due to different insertion angles. Moreover, I recall ClieOS saying they had small soundstage at first and later writing in his review that soundstage is one of the biggest improvements over the e-Q7. Bottom line, I concur with goodvibes, give them some time.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #320 of 1,026

Quote:
Some other claims like the e-Q5 being a good deal smaller or sounding vastly different from/to the e-Q7 are personal opinion and IMO bordering on misinformation. Actually their housing has exactly the same diameter (the e-Q5 being just a bit shorter)

Quote:
The case allows this and for them to be angled nicely up your canal. I suspect the case on the Ortos may hinder this for some more than others.

Just as far as the housing goes: I don't think I was one of the people who claimed that the e-Q5s were smaller. However, I found it difficult to get a seal wearing the e-Q7s down because of their V shape, and it's not a problem at all for me with the straight e-Q5s. I did find the Grados more comfortable than the Ortofons, but part of that is how good I find the Grado tips.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #321 of 1,026

Quote:
Ok so I received the e-Q5 yesterday. Overall, I am disappointed.

I think the results coming out like this has more to do with you having used to a style of sound than anything else. I got used to the sound of the SM3 so much that now the image of how a certain album should sound in my mind has become synonymous with how that album sounds with the SM3. Last 3 days I have been trying out the e-Q7 and every time I put it down, I say to myself "this thing sounds good in every aspect, but the SM3 sounds much better in every aspect." Maybe my final conclusion will be like this too, but I feel it has a lot to do with me getting used to the SM3 so much. Spending more time with the contender is the only way to break this connection I made with my current thrown-holder, but then this process may bring about a new connection with the contender IEM I will then become accustomed to... I don't know...

Pianist, how would you compare the e-Q5 with the SM3? Also a comparison between the e-Q7 and the SM3 would be nice, too, since now I have both (I borrowed the e-Q7 from a friend), so I will grasp better your comparison between the e-Q7 and the SM3...  

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #322 of 1,026
I think Pianist is allowed to not love them and was giving early impressions. He may come around or not. I can understand his thoughts about the ergonomics but have no other opinions to offer on that other than I don't think I'd care for the cable straight out the back aspect with my winter hood up. Nothing's for everyone. Those with same or similar can try to help with use suggestions but beyond that, c'est la vie.
redface.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #323 of 1,026
x2 I think Pianists impressions are very welcomed (not rant sounding at all) and yes even though the flaws were documented, mileage always varies in real use for either the better or the worse. Still I will give them some time, but I think the RE262s may be what you are after.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #324 of 1,026
Quote:
Just as far as the housing goes: I don't think I was one of the people who claimed that the e-Q5s were smaller. However, I found it difficult to get a seal wearing the e-Q7s down because of their V shape, and it's not a problem at all for me with the straight e-Q5s.

Of course not, sorry for the confusion! This was in reply to Pianist's comment:

Quote:
Pianist said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

The IEMs look really cute - they are smaller than I thought. I expected the housing to be almost the same size as that of the e-Q7, but it is a good deal smaller.

ClieOS' review has pictures of both phones side by side. The e-Q7 only looks a tad larger 'cause it's closer to the lens.

Nevertheless I too find the e-Q5 easier to wear downwards than the e-Q7. That's how I prefer them at home btw, while lying down, but on the move it's strictly over-ears. Regarding their cable, I've had them for almost two months now. Most of the time worn under a closely fitted beanie and there's no sign of wear and no memory to speak of. Granted, the upper part of the cable is thin, but it's among the best quality cables I've seen so far.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #325 of 1,026
Quote:
x2 I think Pianists impressions are very welcomed (not rant sounding at all) and yes even though the flaws were documented, mileage always varies in real use for either the better or the worse.

Mileages also vary for regarding an impression a rant or not.
wink.gif
I didn't mean it harshly though. Still I stand by my opinion that it's pretty unfair to call a deliberate design choice by Ortofon a flaw. Let's face it, the e-Q5 aren't the first straight-out-back cabled IEMs out there, and most of us who've seen the Etys or the Klipsch X know that this design has some merits when worn downwards and usually isn't a pretty sight over-ear. In fact I take my hat off to Ortofon for designing a smarter cable outlet on their e-Q5 over all other comparable IEMs, so that you can actually wear them over-ear without looking like a dork. Bottom line, I agree that straight-out-back cabled IEMs are a love or hate thing, but among those I've seen the e-Q5 are by far my favourites.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #326 of 1,026
Well I for one am happy they have that cable design. That and possible fit issues (I did have slight issues once every so often with the e-Q7) made me not buy them right now..maybe one day :)

The kind of cable on the e-Q5 looks much better than those on the Klipsch however :p

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #327 of 1,026
'Twas been a great thread but I'm afraid that I have to sell my EQ-5 to find my HD600 set up... *sigh* great IEMs come and go.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #328 of 1,026
Ok, so I burned my e-Q5 in for about 20 hours now and I am not hearing much change. My biggest issue with their sound is weak separation and poor portrayal of space. I compared the e-Q5 directly with my old UE Super.fi 3s which for those who may not know are now $50 single armature IEMs. The e-Q5s have better texture across the spectrum and better treble and bass extension, but the Super.fi 3 edges out the e-Q5 in speed, clarity and actually I feel that Super.fi 3 has slightly better separation and similar imaging. And it is not even a high quality single BA design - an Etymotic ER4 will blow away the e-Q5 in separation. Now, it's not that the mediocre separation alone is a deal breaker for me, but it becomes one when combined with poor representation of space. I find that e-Q5 is much like my old Super.fi 3 in this regard - there simply isn't much depth to the sound in these IEMs and imaging is very weak so I never really feel any sense of strong presence when listening to music with these, at least not in a realistic way. Timbre is good on the e-Q5, but it doesn't help it much - it just plain lacks articulation IMO, compared to a good 2+ armature IEM or a high quality dynamic headphone/IEM like RE0, RE252, FA-003, SRH840, etc.

Oddly, from memory, I think the e-Q7 has better portrayal of space that the e-Q5 - everything sounds deeper and more dynamic through the e-Q7, whereas the e-Q5 sounds shallower and I dare say, more simplistic. The e-Q5 is more refined that e-Q7, is slightly more focused in imaging, and does have better extension high and low, but IMO the e-Q7 is still a higher end IEM because it is still very close to the e-Q5 in all these aspects, but to my ears significantly outperforms it when it comes to overall musical presentation - e-Q7 sounds more powerful, engaging, immersive that the e-Q5 and I don't care if the e-Q5 is more neutral sounding, because IMO neutrality does not equal to good sound quality because good sound is supposed to be either natural or analytical and natural sound is never flat, while good analytical sound is not supposed to be lacking technicalities. e-Q7 may have more boost in the bass and mids, but that is a part of what makes it sound natural and realistic. e-Q5 doesn't have that emphasis and then it also doesn't have the depth and dynamics of the e-Q7 and thus ultimately comes across as sounding quite boring and soulless to these ears. When listening to the e-Q5 I feel as though the music just passes by me and I am unable to engage in it and attach myself emotionally to it in any meaningful way. I felt a similar way when listening to the RE252 BTW. However, while RE252 is also quite flat sounding IMO, it blows away the e-Q5 in technicalities and that is what makes it great in its own right and a better IEM than the e-Q5. RE252 has much better separation, better speed (very impressive for a dynamic driver IEM!), better timbre and although still not great compared to the e-Q7 - a better sense of depth to the sound as well. This technical excellence is what pulls me in with the RE252 - what I may be listening to is not music as such, but technical qualities, but that is still better than not listening to anything at all. With the e-Q5 there is nothing that can really engage me.

So what can I say? I know plenty of people here love their e-Q5s and there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has different tastes. But IMO, technically speaking, e-Q5 is just not a very good IEM. It just lacks the technicalities of a high end headphone/IEM. Especially in separation which is really still on the level of an average, inexpensive single balanced armature based IEM or a cheap dynamic. Personally, I find this completely unacceptable when also coupled with average clarity (most BAs sound clearer), not-so-great speed (RE252 and most BAs sound faster), lesser depth to the sound and seemingly compressed dynamic range compared to the e-Q7, flat frequency response and finally, questionable design choice with the very thin and fragile looking, and also microphonic cable. e-Q5 is neither analytical because it doesn't have the technicalities, nor fun because it has an overly flat response and also doesn't wow you with dynamics and musical depth like the e-Q7 did so well. Of course maybe I am not getting a perfect fit and maybe they need even more burn in, but so far I think of the e-Q5 as a failed attempt to make something original. Ok, the e-Q5 may be unique in how it sounds, but I care much more about sound quality than some unique, special voicing.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #329 of 1,026
Looks like i am keeping my RE-252
wink_face.gif

(Still sure the one really good upgrade to my 252/262 will be the grado GR-10 - TOO EXPENSIVE THOUGH)

Quote:
Ok, so I burned my e-Q5 in for about 20 hours now and I am not hearing much change. My biggest issue with their sound is weak separation and poor portrayal of space. I compared the e-Q5 directly with my old UE Super.fi 3s which for those who may not know are now $50 single armature IEMs. The e-Q5s have better texture across the spectrum and better treble and bass extension, but the Super.fi 3 edges out the e-Q5 in speed, clarity and actually I feel that Super.fi 3 has slightly better separation and similar imaging. And it is not even a high quality single BA design - an Etymotic ER4 will blow away the e-Q5 in separation. Now, it's not that the mediocre separation alone is a deal breaker for me, but it becomes one when combined with poor representation of space. I find that e-Q5 is much like my old Super.fi 3 in this regard - there simply isn't much depth to the sound in these IEMs and imaging is very weak so I never really feel any sense of strong presence when listening to music with these, at least not in a realistic way. Timbre is good on the e-Q5, but it doesn't help it much - it just plain lacks articulation IMO, compared to a good 2+ armature IEM or a high quality dynamic headphone/IEM like RE0, RE252, FA-003, SRH840, etc.

Oddly, from memory, I think the e-Q7 has better portrayal of space that the e-Q5 - everything sounds deeper and more dynamic through the e-Q7, whereas the e-Q5 sounds shallower and I dare say, more simplistic. The e-Q5 is more refined that e-Q7, is slightly more focused in imaging, and does have better extension high and low, but IMO the e-Q7 is still a higher end IEM because it is still very close to the e-Q5 in all these aspects, but to my ears significantly outperforms it when it comes to overall musical presentation - e-Q7 sounds more powerful, engaging, immersive that the e-Q5 and I don't care if the e-Q5 is more neutral sounding, because IMO neutrality does not equal to good sound quality because good sound is supposed to be either natural or analytical and natural sound is never flat, while good analytical sound is not supposed to be lacking technicalities. e-Q7 may have more boost in the bass and mids, but that is a part of what makes it sound natural and realistic. e-Q5 doesn't have that emphasis and then it also doesn't have the depth and dynamics of the e-Q7 and thus ultimately comes across as sounding quite boring and soulless to these ears. When listening to the e-Q5 I feel as though the music just passes by me and I am unable to engage in it and attach myself emotionally to it in any meaningful way. I felt a similar way when listening to the RE252 BTW. However, while RE252 is also quite flat sounding IMO, it blows away the e-Q5 in technicalities and that is what makes it great in its own right and a better IEM than the e-Q5. RE252 has much better separation, better speed (very impressive for a dynamic driver IEM!), better timbre and although still not great compared to the e-Q7 - a better sense of depth to the sound as well. This technical excellence is what pulls me in with the RE252 - what I may be listening to is not music as such, but technical qualities, but that is still better than not listening to anything at all. With the e-Q5 there is nothing that can really engage me.

So what can I say? I know plenty of people here love their e-Q5s and there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has different tastes. But IMO, technically speaking, e-Q5 is just not a very good IEM. It just lacks the technicalities of a high end headphone/IEM. Especially in separation which is really still on the level of an average, inexpensive single balanced armature based IEM or a cheap dynamic. Personally, I find this completely unacceptable when also coupled with average clarity (most BAs sound clearer), not-so-great speed (RE252 and most BAs sound faster), lesser depth to the sound and seemingly compressed dynamic range compared to the e-Q7, flat frequency response and finally, questionable design choice with the very thin and fragile looking, and also microphonic cable. e-Q5 is neither analytical because it doesn't have the technicalities, nor fun because it has an overly flat response and also doesn't wow you with dynamics and musical depth like the e-Q7 did so well. Of course maybe I am not getting a perfect fit and maybe they need even more burn in, but so far I think of the e-Q5 as a failed attempt to make something original. Ok, the e-Q5 may be unique in how it sounds, but I care much more about sound quality than some unique, special voicing.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back