Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #242 of 1,026
Yes, e-Q5 and e-Q7 both uses the same type of replaceable filter, probably Grado GR8 and GR10 as well. As for how long it will last, it all depends on how clean your ear canals are and the care you give to the IEM (I have never replaced my e-Q7 filter since I got it a year ago). In any case, the filter is cleanable. Just submerge it under of pharmacy grade peroxide solution of 10 minutes, carefully rinse and dry it out, and you can use them again.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #243 of 1,026
Quote:
This was my first time getting to put the e-Q5 in my ears, but I've had quite a bit of time with the e-Q7 in general. I didn't feel that there were any significant differences between the two. That's not to say that they were exactly the same, but it's like looking at two similar TVs; when they're right next to each other you can tell the difference, but once you get home you just think about how great the picture looks, no matter which one you chose.* The mids may be slightly fuller on the e-Q7, the e-Q5 slightly more balanced/flat. I really think the innards might be the same. The cable on the e-Q5 is significantly better--very little memory, and hard to see where there's going to be any stress. However, there's still a lot of noise from the cable (and no clip included). Separation and sound stage are comparable. Perhaps someone with more practice could give you more differences, but I really don't feel it's necessary to search for them in this case.

Price wasn't the biggest factor. I would have gotten the e-Q7 if I thought the sound quality from them was even 1% better than the sound quality of the e-Q5.

x2, the differences are very slight. I doubt that I could tell them apart reliably in a blind test.

Quote:
Dekimasu said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

*Not dissing the pictures in james444's thread. I think those were a great idea.

Thanks, and btw the e-Q5 and e-Q7 pictures reflect their sonic similarity.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #244 of 1,026

Quote:
Yes, e-Q5 and e-Q7 both uses the same type of replaceable filter, probably Grado GR8 and GR10 as well. As for how long it will last, it all depends on how clean your ear canals are and the care you give to the IEM (I have never replaced my e-Q7 filter since I got it a year ago). In any case, the filter is cleanable. Just submerge it under of pharmacy grade peroxide solution of 10 minutes, carefully rinse and dry it out, and you can use them again.

Thank you for the info.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #245 of 1,026
Hi everyone.

At the moment I'm listening to my iPhone through a Fiio E1 and some SoundMAGIC PL11s. Very cheap if you take the phone out of the calculation.

I mainly listen to electro and would love to upgrade to a "decent" portable setup. 

I am close to ordering a TTVJ Portable (slim) + LOD cable (of course) and a pair of E-Q5s.

What do you guys think about my plans?

Thank you very much,

Tymmz

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #246 of 1,026
Dec 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #247 of 1,026
This is what I like to hear. Thank you.

But please don't be shy. If you think it's a waste or amp & IEM won't go well together, let me know.

Cheers!

But by the looks of it, after all the Christmas hype is gone, I'll be ordering. Can't wait to get it.

Quote:
Quote:
What do you guys think about my plans?

I think you have an excellent plan.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #248 of 1,026
Everyone has their own tastes, but after listening to these and the DBA-02 I find I can't understand why the DBA-02 is so popular here. Are the Fischers less expensive than the Ortofons abroad?

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #249 of 1,026
Quote:
Everyone has their own tastes, but after listening to these and the DBA-02 I find I can't understand why the DBA-02 is so popular here. Are the Fischers less expensive than the Ortofons abroad?

DBA-02 = $160, e-Q5 = $250+, e-Q7 = $300. I think it is pretty obvious.

... also DBA_02 is a bit picky on the eartips, so try a few just to be sure.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #250 of 1,026

Quote:

Maybe say what you don't like about them.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #251 of 1,026

I'll try some different ones next time. This was my first time to actually see the DBA-02 on sale, and they were 23800 yen (=$290). The e-Q5 were 17900, the e-Q7 19900.

So that probably explains that.

Quote:
DBA-02 = $160, e-Q5 = $250+, e-Q7 = $300. I think it is pretty obvious.

... also DBA_02 is a bit picky on the eartips, so try a few just to be sure.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #254 of 1,026

Quote:
I'll try some different ones next time. This was my first time to actually see the DBA-02 on sale, and they were 23800 yen (=$290). The e-Q5 were 17900, the e-Q7 19900.

So that probably explains that.

Yep, that explains a lot. Japanese IEM are almost always overpriced oversea, I guess the reserve is true as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back