Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #121 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:
Depending on what you throw at them A1 could hiss... A LOT, like instead of listening to splashes you where listening to PSSS PSSS PSSS, really annoying. 5's on the other side would never do this.
Seriously, when i put some Therion on A1s is like a hissing carnival.
I dont like hissing, not even a little bit, no matter the -phone.

I think you mean sibilance (exaggerating "SSSSS") rather than hiss. To my ears the A1 are the least sibilant of the FI-BA-xx models, of course they have still a bit more treble than the e-Q5. But I recommend checking your seal, a less than perfect seal can often contribute to sibilance. Final Audio's stock tips are very thin (too thin IMO), so you might try different tips or piggyback tips as shown in this picture.

Yes, i meant sibilance, thanks a lot for the heads up.
I should try them again at the retailer, i remember i used them less than 15min and thought OMG this is too much 'SSSS' for my purposes. Maybe was the seal?

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #122 of 1,026
I have a question.
Since my sound card from my laptop is naturally crappy , I decided to buy either a DAC/AMP. Question is , would they make a difference if I use them with the E5's?
I'm leaning towards the Electric Avenues PA2V2 as i only have a tight budget. I've seen and heard great reviews about this product and it might be just the thing I need.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #123 of 1,026
If you laptop soundcard sound like crap, feeding the same signal to an amp will just amplify the crap signal larger. That is, crap-in-crap-out. What you need is a decent AMP with USB DAC.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #124 of 1,026
^
Oh thanks for the heads up. It might be off-topic if we post stuff about it here do you mind recommending me some through PM?
Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #125 of 1,026

Quote:

The  most striking difference between the A1 and e-Q5 is the far better cable on the Ortofons. The FAD's cable feels cheap and gets annoyingly stiff in cold weather. Isolation is also better on the e-Q5, the A1 is ported and has a thinner aluminium housing. Soundwise both are pretty close, the A1 maybe a tad lighter in bass and slightly more forward in treble.

Overall I concur with Dimitri that the e-Q5 have better build quality and would only recommend the A1 for smaller ears, in case the Ortofons might be too difficult to fit.

Arrgh I got the A1's because Dmitri told me at the time he believed that the A1's were a better option than the E-Q5's. : (

Considering the EQ-5's are cheaper and with better build, and isolation, I feel rorted. Also, I wouldn't mind more bass and less forward treble bleh.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #126 of 1,026
Well, I just finished another round of A1 vs. e-Q5 comparison. The A1 are a tad more efficient (1-2 notches on my DAP) but also slightly more prone to hiss. They sound a bit airier than the e-Q5, maybe due to their vents, I don't know. Yet again, the sonic differences are IMO minor.

Even though I have large ears and can easily fit the e-Q5, the A1 with their tapering housings feel slightly more comfortable. Plus they are easier to wear over-ear. Like I've said before, the Ortofons need some practice for that. Last not least I prefer the A1's L-shaped plug vs. the straight one on the e-Q5.

So from a closer look both have their pros and cons, but I stick to it that the e-Q5 are the better choice overall.

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #127 of 1,026
Everywhere I know of, e-Q5 are still more expensive than A1 in Japan.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #128 of 1,026
They're heeeeeeeeereee!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Musica Acoustics is AWESOME... it took less time to get to me from Japan than it does stuff within Canada!!! Definitely going to be getting my stuff from Dimitri in the future. Will post impressions on Saturday after my CFA exam!

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #129 of 1,026
These things were made for my ears! They slide right in with the best fit I've had so far of all the IEM's I've tried!

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #130 of 1,026
^
Ahh lucky...
Well I'm still waiting for mine and also have ordered a Fiio E7 to go with it. I'm actually wasting my time studying these past few days thinking that it would make the time go by faster.
I hope I get mine tomorrow , Wednesday or at worst , Thrusday.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #131 of 1,026
Quote:
They're heeeeeeeeereee!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Musica Acoustics is AWESOME... it took less time to get to me from Japan than it does stuff within Canada!!! Definitely going to be getting my stuff from Dimitri in the future. Will post impressions on Saturday after my CFA exam!

Wow, congrats! And good luck for your exam! Looking forward to your impressions...
smile_phones.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #132 of 1,026
I wonder how these have better fit than the SBs considering they have the same shape. It is it smaller in circumference? It is for sure longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back