Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #31 of 1,026

Quote:
Well, the e-Q7 is currently available through Joshin for 22800 yen--it used to be a little lower. The first price I saw for the e-Q5 was 20475, so that's the number I was using when I said 2000 yen. But now it seems like there are some places (one in Kanagawa, maybe Amazon.co.jp) listing it at 18400.

So the price difference on the street doesn't seem to be 2000 yen at the moment, but closer to 4500. I stand partially corrected.

I see, You are right, e-Q7 price dropped in some online shops in Japan. However most of the shops  in Japan sell e-Q7 for about 25,000-27,000 yen or so.
E-Q5 has just came out so the prices still are quite high or I would say close to Manufacturers suggested price of 19,800JPY
I am sure, next year, the price gap between e-Q7 and e-Q5 will grow apart.  E-q7 is a much more expensive looking IEM compared to eQ5. (well they are both looking awesome but packaging and accessories are close to none with e-Q5. So those who cant afford to pay for the leather pouch and lush jewelry box will go with the new model instead.
Well, I guess none of this really matters as prices outside Japan will be much higher I suppose.
Are you in Japan? Have you auditioned e-Q5 at local shops yet?

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #32 of 1,026

Quote:

I am sure, next year, the price gap between e-Q7 and e-Q5 will grow apart.  E-q7 is a much more expensive looking IEM compared to eQ5. (well they are both looking awesome but packaging and accessories are close to none with e-Q5. So those who cant afford to pay for the leather pouch and lush jewelry box will go with the new model instead.
Well, I guess none of this really matters as prices outside Japan will be much higher I suppose.

I'm in Japan, but I haven't heard the e-Q5 yet. I only know of one place that has them on display already.

I still have a feeling they'll be similar in quality. Maybe the decline in suggested prices can be attributed to the current strength of the yen vs. the euro, considering that this is really a European company.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #33 of 1,026
I quiver with anticipation for your impressions Deki. Especially since you have the A1's as well. I'm curious about your signature - when you say the A1 is the first in your heart but not in your ears... do you mean they fit better, or that you love them more even if the E-Q7's sound better to you?

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #34 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

I'm in Japan, but I haven't heard the e-Q5 yet. I only know of one place that has them on display already.

I still have a feeling they'll be similar in quality. Maybe the decline in suggested prices can be attributed to the current strength of the yen vs. the euro, considering that this is really a European company.

Not really, Ortofon Japan seem to have nothing to do with Ortofon Denmark. Ortofon Denmark never even distributed e-Q7 in Europe or elsewhere in the world. It was Musica acoustics who introduced e-Q7 to the western market.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #35 of 1,026

Quote:
I quiver with anticipation for your impressions Deki. Especially since you have the A1's as well. I'm curious about your signature - when you say the A1 is the first in your heart but not in your ears... do you mean they fit better, or that you love them more even if the E-Q7's sound better to you?

Are you in Sydney? Why don't you go and audition e-Q5 in person and share with us your impressions..

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

Are you in Sydney? Why don't you go and audition e-Q5 in person and share with us your impressions..

Because I'm very concerned that I might buy them as a result of trying them hehe. Actually, I would love to but the local dealer doesn't have them listed on the internet yet, so I'm not sure if they are in stock. Also, I haven't had the time sadly.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 1,026
Eat your heart out Final Audio!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #38 of 1,026

Quote:
ksc75smile.gif

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. First question - how does that cable/ strain relief system work?

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #39 of 1,026
I'd like to know how the cable works with over the ear as well. Also the cable is the same as the e-Q7 correct?

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #40 of 1,026
Quote:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Exactly my thoughts.
smile.gif

Quote:
I'd like to know how the cable works with over the ear as well. Also the cable is the same as the e-Q7 correct?

To my surprise, it works! The cable from Y-splitter to earpiece is much softer and more flexible than on the e-Q7 and quite bendable where it enters the housing. I'm sure there must be some kind of inner strain relief, but I can't see that from outside. Still over-ear does look slightly odd, but not much so. Having had the X10 I was expecting much worse. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

The cable's lower part between splitter and plug is rubberized and again less stiff than the e-Q7's. Overall very encouraging first impressions. And did I mention they look gorgeous?

Nevertheless I'm afraid further inspection has to wait - it's already late here and I'm dead tired...

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #41 of 1,026
So I guess these have no chin slider like the e-Q7. These may be interesting down the line depending on what I decide to get. I think I may go and purchase a moving armature earphone down the line but probably not anytime soon. I'll probably end up getting another custom first.

I look forward to sonic impressions compared to the e-Q7 :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #43 of 1,026

Oh James!! you're killing me!! lol...But my first customs will be here soon..lol Those look wonderful!!
Quote:
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back