Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #976 of 1,026
i think eq5 is very good for an iem you can buy used 150-180$

also having the 250$ re-272 and the 150$ re-262 , i find it clearly better than the 262 and on par with the 272

in fact having eq5/re272 keeps my upgraditis tamed - i also tried the 400$ re-600 and i don't think it's more than a 10-15% better than both these 2 iems

it all comes down to finding the IEM sound that clicks with your personal sonic taste.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #977 of 1,026
Someone pleeeease sell me some of their stock tips in size medium? 
redface.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #978 of 1,026
  Someone pleeeease sell me some of their stock tips in size medium? 
redface.gif

you can buy them here - the stock tips are great , i am also using them with my re272 and i wanna get some extra tips myself

http://www.ortofon-shop.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_lite_pdf.tpl&product_id=261&category_id=31&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=198

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #979 of 1,026
Thinking about changing tips on my Ortofons. I know the Sony EP-EX10M used to fit.

What are the current equivalent of the Sony EP-EX10M hybrids that would fit on the e-Q5? Is it just EP-EX11M? Would the EP-EXN50M fit too?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #980 of 1,026
My Ortofons are hideous. They've been with me for over 3 years. The right side had connection issues, but fortunately it wasn't deep into the housing so I was able to strip some of the cable away, re-solder, and then glue-gun shut. I put some glue on the other side just in case. The splitter was giving up on me as well, but I've glued that together now too. When all fails, I will probably get another pair. Why? What I love about them is that they are very, very quality in the mids. I personally believe that it doesn't matter how high or how low your headphones/IEMs go - bulk of the music is in the mids so if the mids are sub-par then there is no point in all the extras. 

I travel about 2 hours on public transport to and from work every day, so my e-q5s are my best friend. Isolation could be better, cable quality could be better, but sonically I really couldn't ask for any more. I find the treble absolutely perfect. My music is 90% jap vocals so it suits me just perfect. SOMETIMES I might want more bass, but my JDS c5d takes care of that with some controlled and tasteful bass boost that doesn't affect the amazing airiness and clarity the e-q5 has in 70% of the spectrum.

Last note is that I have these Sony tips, which I found head and shoulders above the stock tips. 

I will probably write a more detailed response of the c5d pairing with the e-q5s using an xperia z1 later on (when i receive my otg cable and straps). Enjoy the e-q5s everyone!

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #982 of 1,026
I've got a couple of broken pairs of e-q5's that I want to try to recable myself (should be easy enough after prying open the case?) but I'm not really too sure what cables would be a good choice. Any suggestions anyone?

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #983 of 1,026
Not sure about the cables, but I've tried to pry open it.. ended up breaking the driver connection. Thought it won't happen, since I've seen one guy in this thread succeed. There is this small black part in the smaller chamber with very slim wires going to the driver, which was supposed to stay in place during the disassembly - It didn't.

So if you plan on doing this, be careful - you need to apply some force to open the housing and apparently there's a chance it won't survive.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #984 of 1,026
  My Ortofons are hideous. They've been with me for over 3 years. The right side had connection issues, but fortunately it wasn't deep into the housing so I was able to strip some of the cable away, re-solder, and then glue-gun shut. I put some glue on the other side just in case. The splitter was giving up on me as well, but I've glued that together now too. When all fails, I will probably get another pair. Why? What I love about them is that they are very, very quality in the mids. I personally believe that it doesn't matter how high or how low your headphones/IEMs go - bulk of the music is in the mids so if the mids are sub-par then there is no point in all the extras. 

I travel about 2 hours on public transport to and from work every day, so my e-q5s are my best friend. Isolation could be better, cable quality could be better, but sonically I really couldn't ask for any more. I find the treble absolutely perfect. My music is 90% jap vocals so it suits me just perfect. SOMETIMES I might want more bass, but my JDS c5d takes care of that with some controlled and tasteful bass boost that doesn't affect the amazing airiness and clarity the e-q5 has in 70% of the spectrum.

Last note is that I have these Sony tips, which I found head and shoulders above the stock tips. 

I will probably write a more detailed response of the c5d pairing with the e-q5s using an xperia z1 later on (when i receive my otg cable and straps). Enjoy the e-q5s everyone!

Sont tips are great on them but the stock tips are much better on other models of Ortofon and Grados than here. The Sony tips smooth and warm up the EQ5 very nicely by adding more resistance to the bore. I found them a little hot and lean with the stock tips. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #985 of 1,026
Welp, just got my set of eq5's in today.  Using a flat EQ, they seem almost etymoticy in sound with the mids overemphasized.  Awesome sound stage, might even be better than my old SE530s.  On that topic, the top end doesn't roll off nearly as badly as the SE530s, which is nice. But the low end is lacking.  Yes, I'm a basshead, and unless I really crank the low end, they simply don't put out enough bass.  The bass is "tight" from an audiophile standpoint, but it's not what I want.  The SE530s were also infinitely receptive to EQ on the low end, which these EQ5 are not.  

These make a great jazz/ progressive rock IEM, but not for EDM/Pop music really.  

Why did I get these phones you ask?  They looked like they are easy to just throw in my ears on a subway without the hassle of inserting them properly and then getting the cabling over my ears.  I also liked that the cable on the eq5 pointed outward instead of downward, which means they won't be touching my face.  Love the fit and design.  Just wish they had a bit more bass. 

Just my opinion of course, 

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #986 of 1,026
  Welp, just got my set of eq5's in today.  Using a flat EQ, they seem almost etymoticy in sound with the mids overemphasized.  Awesome sound stage, might even be better than my old SE530s.  On that topic, the top end doesn't roll off nearly as badly as the SE530s, which is nice. But the low end is lacking.  Yes, I'm a basshead, and unless I really crank the low end, they simply don't put out enough bass.  The bass is "tight" from an audiophile standpoint, but it's not what I want.  The SE530s were also infinitely receptive to EQ on the low end, which these EQ5 are not.  

These make a great jazz/ progressive rock IEM, but not for EDM/Pop music really.  

Why did I get these phones you ask?  They looked like they are easy to just throw in my ears on a subway without the hassle of inserting them properly and then getting the cabling over my ears.  I also liked that the cable on the eq5 pointed outward instead of downward, which means they won't be touching my face.  Love the fit and design.  Just wish they had a bit more bass. 

Just my opinion of course, 

Try some Sony hybrid tips. If the e-Q5 sound too bassy / congested with those, then gradually trim their stem until you're satisfied with the sound signature.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #987 of 1,026

Try some Sony hybrid tips. If the e-Q5 sound too bassy / congested with those, then gradually trim their stem until you're satisfied with the sound signature.

My opinion on the eq5 is the opposite, they aren't bassy enough with the mids overemphasized for my liking.  Some eq settings got these things sounding great though, so no worries!

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #988 of 1,026
  My opinion on the eq5 is the opposite, they aren't bassy enough with the mids overemphasized for my liking.  Some eq settings got these things sounding great though, so no worries!

I did get you right, but should have explained my post better: Sony hybrid tips make the e-Q5 sound quite a bit bassier. However, the effect may be too much for your taste and can be fine-tuned by gradual shortening of the tip stem.

EQ is fine too, of course, no need for third party tips if you're happy with it.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back