Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #992 of 1,026
No you got me wrong, they aren't bright enough for me, i want more bite in the upper treble
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #993 of 1,026
My review of the Ortofon e-Q5 earphones:

In short: ASTOUNDING...

Ok so upon putting these great looking earphones into my ears and pressing play, I'm wondering, 'is this it'? 

Treble: SEVERELY SEVERELY rolled off. Had to boost all frequencies above 4k by 6-10 decibels to be able to hear the detail that's (supposed) to be there, but by that point it still sounded to un-natural in the highs

Bass: SEVERELY SEVERELY rolled off. I had to use my memory of how the low end of the songs are supposed to be in order to imagine the proper sound of the bass. Had to boost by at least 3 decibels under 250hz

Mids: Throaty, nasal, congested

Dynamics / impact: as muddy as a pig's den during a rainstorm. Super difficult to even imagine the 'slam' from the likes of drums.

Soundstage: I had to coin a new term to describe the soundstage on the e-Q5: 'negative inverse'. This is to say that, instead of the elements of a recording surrounding you in an immersive 3D way, they actually seemed to collapse inward on your ears like an 'implosion' instead of 'expansion' of sound

Vocal presentation: Seriously non-organic. The sound of the DJ's voice was very emphasized in the mid-bass and congested sounding.

I tried all 4 tips that it came with including 3 silicon sizes and the comply tips. The Silicon tips made everything sound very rolled off and non detailed, while the comply tips refined the sound on all frequencies. I tried the connection directly to my cell phone, then with a small Fiio portable amp, and with my $1,000 TOTL tube amp / DAC full size rig. I then compared the e-Q5 to my free non-brand earbuds that came with my Android phone. Instantly I heard an improvement in the bass response and dynamics, although the treble on these was emphasized in the upper highs and somewhat metallic in comparison - that is to say that I preferred my free white earbuds over these. Next I compared the e-Q5 to my Sennheiser HD 650 full-size 'cans on the full size rig, and... and... words cannot describe how much better the sound was in every way, shape and form. My brain was telling me 60x better sound but I kept on trying to quantify it with a more realistic number, but I just can't get myself not to say these in-ears sound any less than 60x worse than the HD 650's. Finally 1/2 hr. later I decided to give them one last try with the smallest silicon tips provided, which gave me a deeper insertion... crossing my fingers and hoping for an improvement, then... WOW this sounded even worse! So much that it had actually and truthfully triggered my gag reflex to vomit, so I yanked them out, and ahhh, luckily I feel OK again!

Overall this earphone seemed to have an upside-down U-shaped sound signature (the opposite of V-shaped). It does not deserve to be in the audiophile classification with it's non-detailed sound, severely lacking on both sides of the frequency spectrum, very nasal sound with virtually no impact to the dynamics, and not refined at all. I was astounded by how bad these sounded. It was by far the worst thing I've heard all year - and this is coming from somebody who has been to 3 full days of two separate CanJam / head-fi meets and has tried around 100 mid and TOTL headphones... albeit mostly full size cans. Also note that I am not a basshead, as I didn't like the sound signature of ATH-M50, Momemtum over-ears or Beats on-ears. I guess I'm just not a balanced armature guy, and that this whole BA business really needs to do some massive overhaul in order to make a more refined sound - without that the BA technology will probably become obsolete.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #995 of 1,026
this is even better than a K3003 review here that awarded them with 0.5/5 stars
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #997 of 1,026
Did you really think that was a great review? I know it was thorough, but also brutally honest. I believe in giving frank reviews so that people can see the reality of a product - and in the audiophile world this can help lean people towards better sounding gear or maybe even encourage the designers to create a better product.

Oh also I remember I had actually tried several balanced armature earphones at a recent HeadFi meet, and I realised I already didn't like BA earphones. I ordered the e-Q5 because the reviews got me to thinking these would give a better sound. Oh well I'll buy another one and refun/sell these.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #999 of 1,026
definitely a case of 'lack of burn-in'
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,001 of 1,026
  Did you really think that was a great review? I know it was thorough, but also brutally honest. I believe in giving frank reviews so that people can see the reality of a product - and in the audiophile world this can help lean people towards better sounding gear or maybe even encourage the designers to create a better product.

Oh also I remember I had actually tried several balanced armature earphones at a recent HeadFi meet, and I realised I already didn't like BA earphones. I ordered the e-Q5 because the reviews got me to thinking these would give a better sound. Oh well I'll buy another one and refun/sell these.

I haven't heard the EQ5 so I cannot relate/comment on your(or anybody's) review.
I trust my ears, but when my impressions contrast heavily with the general consensus I consider other variables too. Am I getting a good fit? Is my source a terrible match? Have I received a defective pair?
Could your pair be defective? Do your impressions usually contrast this heavily with the general consensus? If they generally do not then this particular unit is probably to blame

Answering these questions doesn't prove you are wrong or anyone who disagrees is right. Use it to make a better purchase the next time.

It is a general notion that Balanced armature drivers do not change upon burn-in(due to the working principle and design). These are moving armature drivers(correct me if I am wrong, James) so I do not know if the same applies.
In general, do not expect burn-in to drastically change the sound signature. It is a better idea to familiarize yourself with the signature ("brain burn-in"). But in your case (with the EQ5) your impressions are deep in the red so do not rely on it.

My advice: Get rid of this particular pair. Do not dismiss BAs just yet. If you can demo another EQ5 somewhere down the line, please do. Just so you can be sure.
Since we don't know for sure if you generally hear things differently, it is best for you to audition IEMs first. If there is a reviewer on Head-fi whose impressions mirror yours(or other gear you own), hit them up and seek their advice.
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,002 of 1,026

I think it was great in the sense that I like emotional and frank posts. To me, the e-Q5 are not nearly as bad as to you, as I get sufficient treble below 10kHz and a 3db roll-off in bass is nothing I'd call severe. However, that's not the point, I may not concur with your assessment, but still found your writeup an enjoyable and entertaining read.

PS- what is that photo above?

It's a brilliant inside joke, referring to an old review of mine.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,003 of 1,026
@james444 thanks for the kind words. I was afraid maybe I would anger someone over how much I disliked the e-Q5's. Anyway it seems like you maybe be able to help with my next question:

Can you recommend another earphone to me that is basically the opposite sound signature as the way I described the e-Q5's?

That is to say an earphone with great impact / dynamics (punch, slam), detailed with clear treble & lifelike mids, and at least moderately good soundstage? However I'm strictly looking for straight-housing earphones (or at least really easy to insert / remove rather than IEM shape), and my max is around $300. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,004 of 1,026
  @james444 thanks for the kind words. I was afraid maybe I would anger someone over how much I disliked the e-Q5's. Anyway it seems like you maybe be able to help with my next question:

Can you recommend another earphone to me that is basically the opposite sound signature as the way I described the e-Q5's?

That is to say an earphone with great impact / dynamics (punch, slam), detailed with clear treble & lifelike mids, and at least moderately good soundstage? However I'm strictly looking for straight-housing earphones (or at least really easy to insert / remove rather than IEM shape), and my max is around $300. Thanks!

Hard to say, there aren't many IEMs that come to mind... imo KEF M200 would fit the bill and they offer one of the largest soundstages I've come across in IEMs. Except for their earhanger design which makes for a hit or miss fit, that's why they go for as cheap as $50 on the FS forum. Still, probably worth a try (and some have even cut off the earhangers).

Apart from the KEFs, maybe Sony XBA-H3 (or Z5, but I haven't heard those). Lots of slam, good mids and treble clarity, big soundstage. But also not quite the design you're looking for.

Lastly, maybe the DUNU Titan 1, though I'm not sure whether their slam would be enough for you. They're the brightest out of those mentioned, yet also the clearest and overall great phones for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back