Oriveti OV800 and O800 IEMs - The official thread
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #46 of 99
Hey folks, was reading through this thread as I'm always happy to see more Oriveti products pop up - I actually thought OV800 was a typo until I saw that the company had truly updated their flagship! We've got a few usability and personalisation changes in addition to sweet new wooden faceplates - O800 vs OV800 below:

Marco was kind enough to surprise me with a unit that arrived just recently in the mail. I do have the O800 and have previously written up a full review. As the box suggests, the two are incredibly similar when both tuning switches on the OV800 are turned off. This is a good thing for I am a big fan of the original model. The company also confirmed this to me, stating that the overarching changes here are the switches and a new cable.

In addition, Oriveti has developed a new upgrade cable with modular connectors that was sent to me as well, this is not included stock with the OV800 but is an aftermarket addition. I do have the O400 as well but haven't spent enough time with it yet to comment on comparisons.

I'm sure many are curious about the OV800 vs O800, that said. I've measured both and also charted the differences with the various switch configurations. With both off, the two do not sound identical, but close enough that I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend one or the other. It's entirely possible this is due to the cable change or simple unit variation. I am hearing a bit more mid-bass punch on the O800 and a little more depth on the OV800. The OV800 appears to layer better in the midrange while the O800 is slightly more articulate and retrieves a bit more texture here. Again, the differences are very minute.

The tuning switches mix this up. With switch 1 on, you do get a bit more punch and power through the mid-bass especially, sub-bass is brought forward as well but there isn't much more rumble or pressure. This is inverted when Switch 2 is on and Switch 1 is off, where you will receive a wideband treble bump from 5-8kHz. This grants a more articulate, open and crisp presentation. I found the tuning switches here to be fairly modest in their effects, and the changes were certainly far less clear cut than those on many competitors such as Lime Ears.

I personally think this is a good approach as you can really fine-tune here, and I can definitely see users preferring any configuration. On some competitors with a more overt bass/treble boost, often the stock/balanced configuration is a pretty clear choice and the switches just make things sound wonky. Contrarily, the switches don't make a huge difference so don't expect them to transform this isn't a bright/airy or bass-head monitor - it remains very much an O800 at its core. This is more for those who might find the O800 just a little mid-focused or dark, in which case you can use both switches or flick the 2nd switch. Bass boost is always good to have for low-volume listening and genre flexibility too.
Will be working on a full review soon with more comparisons and thoughts, until then, hope this is useful info and not too much of a rant, cya :beerchug:
Looking forward to reading your review. I own the OV800 since three weeks now and am very happy with them. There are my first pair of IEMs with switches and I do hear a real difference, in the bass and in the treble department when they are ON. I think the switches are very well implemented and do what they are meant to, without altering the OV800 DNA too much. Very pleased with those.

If you are interested in my impressions about the O400, they are here to be read: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/or...ifi-iem-headphones.25189/reviews#review-26753

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #47 of 99
Looking forward to reading your review. I own the OV800 since three weeks now and am very happy with them. There are my first pair of IEMs with switches and I do hear a real difference, in the bass and in the treble department when they are ON. I think the switches are very well implemented and do what they are meant to, without altering the OV800 DNA too much. Very pleased with those.

If you are interested in my impressions about the O400, they are here to be read: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/or...ifi-iem-headphones.25189/reviews#review-26753

Definitely agree with you there, I prefer smaller changes too, often they are far more usable for daily listening rather than blowing your ears out with bass on a few tracks haha

Enjoyed your write-up too, keen to spend more time with the O400, if it's anything like the O800 then it should represent great value.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #48 of 99
If you are very happy with the OH300, then you have no need to bother about the rest of the line-up. What do you especially like with the OH300? Please share your impressions, I am interested.

5% is nothing and a lot at the same time. It also is just an approximation from my subjective point of view. It can be 30% for X and -10% for Y. Try, buy blind, get a loan unit, but listen to IEMs before judging. It’s my advice. Never trust anyone but your ears and do your homework if you want to compare different IEMs.
I read your O400 review and comparisons, and it is quite interesting.
As to OH300, I will describe it as OH500 without shouty mid and treble. Overall it is warmer and more relaxed iem. I can listen to this for hours during my work without fatiguing. Though i wanted to have little more sparkle at high, so i bought Moondrop Variations. It has more bass and more sparkle as i wanted, but truth is that i listen to OH300 more than Variation.
As to an upgrade, i was looking for more analytical iem. O800 and Mesk MkII were on my list. however, after reading your review, I realized that i also might not need those high-end iem. though i am still curious to listen to those. I wish there are a place you can audition all these high-end iem in CA, then i know for sure what i want.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #49 of 99
I read your O400 review and comparisons, and it is quite interesting.
As to OH300, I will describe it as OH500 without shouty mid and treble. Overall it is warmer and more relaxed iem. I can listen to this for hours during my work without fatiguing. Though i wanted to have little more sparkle at high, so i bought Moondrop Variations. It has more bass and more sparkle as i wanted, but truth is that i listen to OH300 more than Variation.
As to an upgrade, i was looking for more analytical iem. O800 and Mesk MkII were on my list. however, after reading your review, I realized that i also might not need those high-end iem. though i am still curious to listen to those. I wish there are a place you can audition all these high-end iem in CA, then i know for sure what i want.
If you like the OH300, you might consider the O400 as an upgrade, as they present a warmer, more mid-centric signature as the OH500 and especially based on your comments regarding the Moondrop Variations, which I never listen to myself, though.

If you manage to audition the O800 (or even better the OV800) or the Mest MKII, you will quite immediately notice how they differ from each other. Or maybe not, depending how your ears are « trained » or sensitive to differences.

If you feel at home with the OH300, an upgrade is not mandatory. Check Custom Arts or Craft Ears’s offering, this might be interesting for you too. Contact the guys in charge directly, they are responsive and helpful.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #50 of 99
8BA from hell… definitely worth trying guys

C2145307-0FC3-4081-8A6E-A49208CBF038.jpeg

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #51 of 99
I am interested in the O800 and would have purchased by now had it not been for an unexpectedly huge bill from the vets for my dog.

I own the O400 and love them. They and the rest of the Oriveti line are criminally underexposed. I have been a fan since the original Primacy.

One thing though; I have read a couple of times that you get a fair chunk of the O800's performance for a fraction of the cost with the O400. But based on what I'm hearing from the O400 and reading about the O800, the signatures don't bear that much similarity to each other. For one thing, the O400 seems pretty abundant in sub bass to me. Yet the O800 apparently lacks it.

@ryanjsoo, very interested to read your thoughts on how they stack up.

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #52 of 99
I am interested in the O800 and would have purchased by now had it not been for an unexpectedly huge bill from the vets for my dog.

I own the O400 and love them. They and the rest of the Oriveti line are criminally underexposed. I have been a fan since the original Primacy.

One thing though; I have read a couple of times that you get a fair chunk of the O800's performance for a fraction of the cost with the O400. But based on what I'm hearing from the O400 and reading about the O800, the signatures don't bear that much similarity to each other. For one thing, the O400 seems pretty abundant in sub bass to me. Yet the O800 apparently lacks it.

@ryanjsoo, very interested to read your thoughts on how they stack up.
I hope your dog is doing better.

The O400 is not a sub-bass monster, but the quality of it is top-notch, the transition into the mids being remarkable. If you can stretch your budget a bit, why not going with the OV800, which offer different tunings (that work).

Fully agree with you regarding Oriveti insufficient coverage in the western world.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #53 of 99
Back from short but relaxing holidays. Putting the OV800 in my ears tonight is nothing but an exceptional experience. Even if I had some decent IEMs (Mele, Final Eva 2020 and Final E1000) at hand for the Netflix and Bandcamp night session at the hotel, coming back to TOTL tuning is eye(ear)-opening.

Crazy how the sound surrounds your head, tridimensional presentation, sense of height without losing on realism. Bass, mids and treble done right, with 95% of my library (switches applied if necessary). Accuracy in the instrument and vocal reproduction, this is what strikes me with the OV800, but also with their cheaper siblings, the O400. I think I might have found my dope 😉🤭 Still, I soon will give the 64 Audio U12T a run.

The right source with the right IEMs. At the moment, with my music and based on my preffered sound signature (warmish yet detailed) the Calyx M and the OV800 are covering all the bases.

Once more, I praise the switch system that makes the OV800 a great all-rounder set of IEMs.

Very curious about Oriveti’s upcoming offering as the last two IEMs were home-runs in their respective categories (O400 and OV800) in my opinion.

Got lost tonight with those tunes:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #54 of 99
Even this pretty poorly recorded tribute song of Johnny Cash benefits from the impeccable tuning made by Oriveti. Everything is fully kept under control in the upper-mids segment, even if the FR-graph shows some sharp and unwelcome elevation in that area.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #55 of 99
Back from short but relaxing holidays. Putting the OV800 in my ears tonight is nothing but an exceptional experience. Even if I had some decent IEMs (Mele, Final Eva 2020 and Final E1000) at hand for the Netflix and Bandcamp night session at the hotel, coming back to TOTL tuning is eye(ear)-opening.

Crazy how the sound surrounds your head, tridimensional presentation, sense of height without losing on realism. Bass, mids and treble done right, with 95% of my library (switches applied if necessary). Accuracy in the instrument and vocal reproduction, this is what strikes me with the OV800, but also with their cheaper siblings, the O400. I think I might have found my dope 😉🤭 Still, I soon will give the 64 Audio U12T a run.

The right source with the right IEMs. At the moment, with my music and based on my preffered sound signature (warmish yet detailed) the Calyx M and the OV800 are covering all the bases.

Once more, I praise the switch system that makes the OV800 a great all-rounder set of IEMs.

Very curious about Oriveti’s upcoming offering as the last two IEMs were home-runs in their respective categories (O400 and OV800) in my opinion.

Got lost tonight with those tunes:

Amazing write up!! I’m intrigued. I am super jealous you have a pair, right now.

Do you notice the absence of a DD for the more rhythmic tracks? I am just in awe with my ONP and am anxious to upgrade when possible. Hard to try out other models in these times.

I agree that Oriveti is so underexposed. I have been still in awe of how incredible the New Primacy are in terms of imaging and dynamics. The customer service has been amazing. Marco and company really are attentive and I really hope they continue to grow. I know I’ll be upgrading but now sure if I should stick with the OH500 or move on the an all BA set.

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #56 of 99
Amazing write up!! I’m intrigued. I am super jealous you have a pair, right now.

Do you notice the absence of a DD for the more rhythmic tracks? I am just in awe with my ONP and am anxious to upgrade when possible. Hard to try out other models in these times.

I agree that Oriveti is so underexposed. I have been still in awe of how incredible the New Primacy are in terms of imaging and dynamics. The customer service has been amazing. Marco and company really are attentive and I really hope they continue to grow. I know I’ll be upgrading but now sure if I should stick with the OH500 or move on the an all BA set.
Thanks for your message. Well, the O400, the OV800´s younger siblings, are perfectly balanced to me in their signature. The OV800 go a bit further in the detail retrieval and add more body to the mids. In both cases, even with Electronics, I was never left wanting for more bass. It has plenty of impact and a very satisfying weight to it. If I am craving for even more bass and louder reverb, I have the Dunu ZEN at hand.

I used to have the OH500 and I think the O400 as well as the OV800 are on a whole different level. The bass from the OH500 was inferior in terms of texture and overall quality.

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #58 of 99
Nov 8, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #59 of 99
I'm a Oriveti New Primacy user for a handful of years (since they were introduced I think) and have been quite happy with them. I'm not someone who bounces from one IEM to the next like the flavor of the month or anything...

Despite my age (51), I still have very good upper frequency hearing because I have worked to protect my ears (and eyes, as well) so that I will have them with good function into my advanecd age. Because of this, I find a lot of IEMs almost unlistenable. But the ONP have been very comfortable and listenable for long periods of time without issue for me so I want to double down on Oriveti because of my ver positive experience so far.

I'm interested in thoughts about a move from the ONP to the O800 or OV800 (or maybe even just the O400). I want an upgrade in sound quality; keeping the overal neutrality and warmth that the ONP have (or something that will be similar, since they are clearly different in many respects) with an improvement in smoothness, depth and breadth of the soundstage.

Is an O400 a side-step or a step up, and I think clearly, the O800 will be another (albeit small at this level) step up for there. The merits of the OV800 are probably valid for some people, and I'm thinking about them but I suspect a V shaped profile won't be for me, so I have my doubts whether the added cost will be worth the possibly not-use switches for my use. It seems that with the switches ON, you have a V profile... and it's unlikely that the treble switch will be to my liking, so really it may come down to whether the bass in the O800 is sufficnent on its own for my tastes?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #60 of 99
I'm a Oriveti New Primacy user for a handful of years (since they were introduced I think) and have been quite happy with them. I'm not someone who bounces from one IEM to the next like the flavor of the month or anything...

Despite my age (51), I still have very good upper frequency hearing because I have worked to protect my ears (and eyes, as well) so that I will have them with good function into my advanecd age. Because of this, I find a lot of IEMs almost unlistenable. But the ONP have been very comfortable and listenable for long periods of time without issue for me so I want to double down on Oriveti because of my ver positive experience so far.

I'm interested in thoughts about a move from the ONP to the O800 or OV800 (or maybe even just the O400). I want an upgrade in sound quality; keeping the overal neutrality and warmth that the ONP have (or something that will be similar, since they are clearly different in many respects) with an improvement in smoothness, depth and breadth of the soundstage.

Is an O400 a side-step or a step up, and I think clearly, the O800 will be another (albeit small at this level) step up for there. The merits of the OV800 are probably valid for some people, and I'm thinking about them but I suspect a V shaped profile won't be for me, so I have my doubts whether the added cost will be worth the possibly not-use switches for my use. It seems that with the switches ON, you have a V profile... and it's unlikely that the treble switch will be to my liking, so really it may come down to whether the bass in the O800 is sufficnent on its own for my tastes?
Thanks for posting here. I will go through your questions and come back to you asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back