Oriveti OV800 and O800 IEMs - The official thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 99
Great feedback, but i bet, maybe after a good burnin, you will notice some differences and maybe change switches combinations
Not sure if BA-drivers benefit from burn-in, but yes, I still have plenty to experiment here. Now the question is how much better the OV800 are vs. the O400? This is my main priority now, because I have my O400's review almost ready and I highly recommend them. Moreover, I have to add the OV800 element into play. I don't want to keep 2 IEMs, which sound too similar. The price as well will have some importance at the end. USD 399.- vs USD 899.- or 999.- (price not known atm).

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 99
The OV800 graph seems to be "DF compensated" as the one from the O400 (see post #32). From 500Hz, the curve, from a "standard"-graph point of view, should take another direction, going higher in the dB.

Spent another 3 hours with the OV800 and now experimenting with switches and tips. Few observations so far:

- @Xinlisupreme The switches actually work. The sub-bass boost is real, realistic, not boomy and very enjoyable for Electronics, Hip-hop and Pop. It just gives the extra "oomph" you could ask for, if you want to slightly pimp the sound reproduction of your tunes. On the contrary, I prefer to switch it off with Vocals, Ambient and Modern Classical. Finally, I like both configurations with Rock and OST.

- Switching on the treble switch brings too much energy to the party, even with tips having a narrow aperture. Switching on bass and treble makes the OV800 sounding too "V" for my taste. So, no treble switch activated for me.

- Azla Crystal tips are my way-to-go with the Oriveti O400. Those have 4 bores and those benefit from a wider aperture to breath. They also pass perfect with the OV800, but I ended up using a generic silicone tips with a slightly narrower aperture:

973F98D6-F03E-441A-8DDC-268DC829CEAE.jpeg

The OV800 (and most likely the O800) are mid-centric IEMs with a fantastic impactul and clean sub-bass. The treble is just fine for me, extended and sparkling enough, without sibilance.

I am quite sold on the OV800 after a few hours. I need to cool down and recollect my critical thinking before making any overly enthusiastic statement. I am just really like what I hearing so far.

@Ace Bee : The Dunu ZEN might struggle in the mids and treble departments compared to the OV800. But don't bury them too soon, because the ZEN's lows are to die for. The match is planned tonight, out of the Calyx M as well as out of the L&P W2, this dongle being a better source than the Calyx M for the ZEN.

1630504605254.gif
I'm actually interested in how the Bass of OV800 plays. I just Loved Zen's bass.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 99
I'm actually interested in how the Bass of OV800 plays. I just Loved Zen's bass.
OK, I specifically will cover the bass segment for you.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 99
@Ace Bee here are my short observations about the OV800/O400 vs. the Dunu ZEN. In order to be fair in this short comparison session, I have tried to make every pair of IEMs sounding as good as I could, based on my sources and own preferences. This means they got the tips and cable treatment they deserve. Not going too much into details here, let's focus on the IEMs, but sources are Calyx M, L&P W2 (w/iPhone), Satin Audio Hyperion cable, Kimber copper cable, Azla Crystal tips, Symbio W Peel tips, Generic silicone tips with medium aperture and special cable from Oriveti.

OV800 vs. O400 (early impressions)
At first sight, the OV800 don't represent a night and day improvement over the O400 in terms of general sound quality. Only the mids seem to benefit from the 4BA's implementation in the OV800 and might be considered as an upgrade vs. the mid/low & mid/high ones from the 0400. The instruments have a tad more "flesh" to them and the voices are maybe a bit better textured, but I don't notice any dramatic differences after a few hours, especially considered the pricing gap (OV800 should cost min. USD 799.-). The bass switch activated on the OV800 makes O400 sounding less impressive for some musical genres, but the O400 show more cohesiveness vs. more excitement with the OV800. Layering, soundstage and "technical" abilities are a close call. The O400 are a bit warmer in their overall presentation (seems almost logical), the OV800 dig deeper everywhere (not a positive point per se). Early statement here, though. In any case, the O400 remain a real tour de force at USD 399.-, but the OV800 ultimately might take the crown... time and ears will tell.

OV800 vs. Dunu ZEN (early impressions and focused on bass as per your request)
I tried many tips, cables and switched sources. The outcome is the same. The ZEN (via the L&P W2, balanced, Xelento EQ, tune 02) present a pounding and very eargasmic bass, from the sub-to-the-mid section. Decay is one of the best I've heard and the rumble is at the limit, but still pretty well controlled. People claiming the ZEN's bass is wholly or bloated are not understanding what a quilty pleasure is, even more so when perfectly executed. No, I am kidding here. I surely can understand that this can be way too much for some, especially if one is not used to that amount of lows, no matter how good they are, and based on one's preferred signature. The ZEN remains a bass monster set of IEMs, but not only. This DD truly is magic and, as an eclectic music aficionado since more than 35 years, I confirm they can be enjoyed with a wide range of musical genres. Yes, the upper-mids and the rolled-off, not very extended and somewhat scooped treble will disappoint an audience wishing to make the ZEN their ultimate allrounder under USD 1K. Personally, I love the ZEN for what they are and foot tapping never was so much fun with my portable set-up.

And now, we have the OV800 (via the Calyx M). Bass-switch off, I am immediately recognizing the O400's one of strongest abilities, the impactful yet tight sub-bass. Perfect transition into the mids allowing an impressive instrument separation, a palpable sense of depth and a natural presentation of the sound all across the FR-range. The highs are nicely extended while presenting a hint of warmth preventing sibilance to appear, if the recording does not call for it. Back to the bass. The ZEN hit deeper, stronger, moister. Less tightness, more decay, but equally enjoyable. Quality bass can be appreciated under various forms, do we agree on that?

Time to switch on that bass on the OV800. I am surprised not hearing the typical bass boost from portable amps making the bass going all over the place and darkening the sound in a way that you just feel not listening to your music anymore, but more a soup version of it. No, the switch is on and the sub-bass is elevated in the very low frequencies in order to keep the transition into the mids intact. You get more sub-bass, that's all and it's exactly what you want, only that. The difference is real, I said that earlier in one of my post. Getting this extra portion of sugar might make the balanced presentation of the OV800 all switches off shaking a bit, but hey, it's just a switch, you can play with it at your convenience.

The ZEN are less versatile than the OV800, but what a pair of IEMs! They are like my Sony N3AP, the kind of drivers with some little cons, but so enjoyable and addictive that it's difficult not to grab them for a listening session every now and then. They are keepers. Exactly so are the OV800 but for another reason. The Orivetis (O400 and OV800) offer such an admirable and balanced sound reproduction all across the frequencies, this is difficult to ignore. I know my O400 very well now and I would take it over the ZEN any day, if I had to keep one set only. Cohesiveness prevails. I am still in the early stages of getting used to the OV800. Brain burn-in and Honeymoon phase put into the mixer. Let's shake and see what's going out in a few days.

Today, the OV800 make me feel I got punched in the face:

1630528517739.gif

Ok, after this intensive, musical, enjoyable yet exhausting day, I will give my ears a break tomorrow :xf_cool:

Some of the tunes listened in the context of this short comparison (we only die once, pump up the volume)

(fantastic french singer btw)

+

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #20 of 99
@Ace Bee here are my short observations about the OV800/O400 vs. the Dunu ZEN. In order to be fair in this short comparison session, I have tried to make every pair of IEMs sounding as good as I could, based on my sources and own preferences. This means they got the tips and cable treatment they deserve. Not going too much into details here, let's focus on the IEMs, but sources are Calyx M, L&P W2 (w/iPhone), Satin Audio Hyperion cable, Kimber copper cable, Azla Crystal tips, Symbio W Peel tips, Generic silicone tips with medium aperture and special cable from Oriveti.

OV800 vs. O400 (early impressions)
At first sight, the OV800 don't represent a night and day improvement over the O400 in terms of general sound quality. Only the mids seem to benefit from the 4BA's implementation in the OV800 and might be considered as an upgrade vs. the mid/low & mid/high ones from the 0400. The instruments have a tad more "flesh" to them and the voices are maybe a bit better textured, but I don't notice any dramatic differences after a few hours, especially considered the pricing gap (OV800 should cost min. USD 799.-). The bass switch activated on the OV800 makes O400 sounding less impressive for some musical genres, but the O400 show more cohesiveness vs. more excitement with the OV800. Layering, soundstage and "technical" abilities are a close call. The O400 are a bit warmer in their overall presentation (seems almost logical), the OV800 dig deeper everywhere (not a positive point per se). Early statement here, though. In any case, the O400 remain a real tour de force at USD 399.-, but the OV800 ultimately might take the crown... time and ears will tell.

OV800 vs. Dunu ZEN (early impressions and focused on bass as per your request)
I tried many tips, cables and switched sources. The outcome is the same. The ZEN (via the L&P W2, balanced, Xelento EQ, tune 02) present a pounding and very eargasmic bass, from the sub-to-the-mid section. Decay is one of the best I've heard and the rumble is at the limit, but still pretty well controlled. People claiming the ZEN's bass is wholly or bloated are not understanding what a quilty pleasure is, even more so when perfectly executed. No, I am kidding here. I surely can understand that this can be way too much for some, especially if one is not used to that amount of lows, no matter how good they are, and based on one's preferred signature. The ZEN remains a bass monster set of IEMs, but not only. This DD truly is magic and, as an eclectic music aficionado since more than 35 years, I confirm they can be enjoyed with a wide range of musical genres. Yes, the upper-mids and the rolled-off, not very extended and somewhat scooped treble will disappoint an audience wishing to make the ZEN their ultimate allrounder under USD 1K. Personally, I love the ZEN for what they are and foot tapping never was so much fun with my portable set-up.

And now, we have the OV800 (via the Calyx M). Bass-switch off, I am immediately recognizing the O400's one of strongest abilities, the impactful yet tight sub-bass. Perfect transition into the mids allowing an impressive instrument separation, a palpable sense of depth and a natural presentation of the sound all across the FR-range. The highs are nicely extended while presenting a hint of warmth preventing sibilance to appear, if the recording does not call for it. Back to the bass. The ZEN hit deeper, stronger, moister. Less tightness, more decay, but equally enjoyable. Quality bass can be appreciated under various forms, do we agree on that?

Time to switch on that bass on the OV800. I am surprised not hearing the typical bass boost from portable amps making the bass going all over the place and darkening the sound in a way that you just feel not listening to your music anymore, but more a soup version of it. No, the switch is on and the sub-bass is elevated in the very low frequencies in order to keep the transition into the mids intact. You get more sub-bass, that's all and it's exactly what you want, only that. The difference is real, I said that earlier in one of my post. Getting this extra portion of sugar might make the balanced presentation of the OV800 all switches off shaking a bit, but hey, it's just a switch, you can play with it at your convenience.

The ZEN are less versatile than the OV800, but what a pair of IEMs! They are like my Sony N3AP, the kind of drivers with some little cons, but so enjoyable and addictive that it's difficult not to grab them for a listening session every now and then. They are keepers. Exactly so are the OV800 but for another reason. The Orivetis (O400 and OV800) offer such an admirable and balanced sound reproduction all across the frequencies, this is difficult to ignore. I know my O400 very well now and I would take it over the ZEN any day, if I had to keep one set only. Cohesiveness prevails. I am still in the early stages of getting used to the OV800. Brain burn-in and Honeymoon phase put into the mixer. Let's shake and see what's going out in a few days.

Today, the OV800 make me feel I got punched in the face:

1630528517739.gif

Ok, after this intensive, musical, enjoyable yet exhausting day, I will give my ears a break tomorrow :xf_cool:

Some of the tunes listened in the context of this short comparison (we only die once, pump up the volume)

(fantastic french singer btw)

+

I know Zen midbass slams are very very good...how are the OV800 midbass slams in face of them? Very much behind, or still quite good with bass switch turned on?

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 99
I know Zen midbass slams are very very good...how are the OV800 midbass slams in face of them? Very much behind, or still quite good with bass switch turned on?
The OV800´s midbass with the switch turned on is not far behind the ZEN’s one, but there is a difference, though. BA cannot replace a DD, which is known for his powerful lows. Still, I bet that the midbass from the OV800 will give you satisfaction, unless you are a true basshead and you cannot live without a lot of oomph all the time with all of your music.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 99
The OV800´s midbass with the switch turned on is not far behind the ZEN’s one, but there is a difference, though. BA cannot replace a DD, which is known for his powerful lows. Still, I bet that the midbass from the OV800 will give you satisfaction, unless you are a true basshead and you cannot live without a lot of oomph all the time with all of your music.
That's what I wanted to know...that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. I will keep OV800 it in my target list.

Sep 4, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 99
OV800: From loan unit to…

1630774496678.gif

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #24 of 99
No way I am sending those emeralds back.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #25 of 99
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #26 of 99
According to Oriveti, they will be available (very) soon for USD 999.-

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 99
Sep 4, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 99
Celebrating a new purchase as it should be

IMG_2055.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #29 of 99
A post dinner drink is ok, but a song is much better. The Calyx M and the OV800 deliver goosebumps like there's no tomorrow. Ongoing honeymoon phase, but I know what I like and what I don't after all those years.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 99
Celebrating a new purchase as it should be

Doesn't look like whiskey...Vodka? But there's a yellowish tinge...champagne isn't taken in this glass...Brandy, or Gin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back