Oriveti OV800 and O800 IEMs - The official thread
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #76 of 99
It’s a shame no one is reporting her/his impressions about the OV800. No love for these on HF?

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #77 of 99
For those who have a set of O800 and want to try to sort of convert them into the OV800 with both switches enabled, here's a view of the effect that the switches have on the tuning (so basically the EQ profile that one can use with the O800).

Effect of both Switches.jpg

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #78 of 99
My review including comparisons is online: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/956208/page-4#post-16716960

ORIVETI OV800 on Spokes.png

What interested me most was how they compare to the O400 (purely in terms of sonics - I definitely prefer the looks and feels of the OV800s' connectors) - yes, the OV800 are a step up (separation and transparency; mainly noticeable in fast and demanding, busy and crowded recordings where they just "bottom out" somewhat later compared to the O400 that start to sound blurry and strained a bit earlier), but the actual difference in resolution isn't really much different.
On their own, the OV800 resolve well, but being used to IEMs such as the NocturnaL Audio ATLANTIS or InEar ProPhile 8, the ORIVETI cannot fully compete in terms of technicalities. On the other hand, I'd generally rate them a bit above my UERM and especially the UERR, so they are no slouch either - albeit not fully meeting my expectations to separation and transparency in this price range if I were to buy new IEMs for myself. Perhaps the area with the biggest room for (technical) improvement is the bass, as it lacks behind the rest when it comes to resolution, layering and speed, especially towards the sub-bass. Here, even the O400 are audibly superior when it comes to pure quality. Speaking of the O400, I have to say that I personally generally prefer them over the OV800 - while the 8-BA IEMs feature that nice, more neutral midrange and treble tuning that I prefer compared to the O400s' safer but at the same time more fun-oriented upper-end tuning, the 4-BA IEMs are just perfect when it comes to the implementation of the bass lift that they have set a new and yet unrivalled benchmark for me when it comes to bass lift implementation/transition, wherefore the OV800, even though their bass elevation (i.e. tuning) is clearly among the better as it doesn't interfere with the lower midrange (better transition than on my ProPhile 8), just doesn't sound as homogeneous as on the O400 that are truly just outstanding and unrivalled in this regard (as a result, they have more or less become my "exit IEMs" for recreational listening and are about the only ones that I still use for this purpose - surely I have got some IEMs that ultimately outperform them in terms of technicalities, but honestly I never really miss anything (or better said much) about the O400 even in more demanding situations, which just shows that they are technically highly competent, especially in their price range, but more importantly their lows' tuning is just pure magic and the best implementation that I have ever heard from any IEMs).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #79 of 99
My review including comparisons is online: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/956208/page-4#post-16716960

ORIVETI OV800 on Spokes.png

What interested me most was how they compare to the O400 (purely in terms of sonics - I definitely prefer the looks and feels of the OV800s' connectors) - yes, the OV800 are a step up (separation and transparency; mainly noticeable in fast and demanding, busy and crowded recordings where they just "bottom out" somewhat later compared to the O400 that start to sound blurry and strained a bit earlier), but the actual difference in resolution isn't really much different.
On their own, the OV800 resolve well, but being used to IEMs such as the NocturnaL Audio ATLANTIS or InEar ProPhile 8, the ORIVETI cannot fully compete in terms of technicalities. On the other hand, I'd generally rate them a bit above my UERM and especially the UERR, so they are no slouch either - albeit not fully meeting my expectations to separation and transparency in this price range if I were to buy new IEMs for myself. Perhaps the area with the biggest room for (technical) improvement is the bass, as it lacks behind the rest when it comes to resolution, layering and speed, especially towards the sub-bass. Here, even the O400 are audibly superior when it comes to pure quality. Speaking of the O400, I have to say that I personally generally prefer them over the OV800 - while the 8-BA IEMs feature that nice, more neutral midrange and treble tuning that I prefer compared to the O400s' safer but at the same time more fun-oriented upper-end tuning, the 4-BA IEMs are just perfect when it comes to the implementation of the bass lift that they have set a new and yet unrivalled benchmark for me when it comes to bass lift implementation/transition, wherefore the OV800, even though their bass elevation (i.e. tuning) is clearly among the better as it doesn't interfere with the lower midrange (better transition than on my ProPhile 8), just doesn't sound as homogeneous as on the O400 that are truly just outstanding and unrivalled in this regard (as a result, they have more or less become my "exit IEMs" for recreational listening and are about the only ones that I still use for this purpose - surely I have got some IEMs that ultimately outperform them in terms of technicalities, but honestly I never really miss anything (or better said much) about the O400 even in more demanding situations, which just shows that they are technically highly competent, especially in their price range, but more importantly their lows' tuning is just pure magic and the best implementation that I have ever heard from any IEMs).

Apparently ORIVETI also unexpectedly included the AFFINITY II cable in the shipment. Here are my thoughts on it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/956208/page-4#post-16717097

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #80 of 99
How do the Oriveti compare to the moondrop line? i've tried the O800 and O400 the mids of the O800 are tuned very well, forward, lush and vocals sounds real but i feel the sub bass and the treble needed some boosting for extra detail. O400 just sounds thin with less resolution compared to it. i love the intimacy it offers especially with vocal centric tracks compared to full size cans. With the new wireless dongles from shure and fiio i'm thinking of getting a IEM to replace my TWE around the $1k mark what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #81 of 99
Yes, the OV800 is coming. I decided to try that one out for the better refinement that it offers. I figure if I'm moving up, I want it to be a substantial improvement, and the switches should make it better to tune to my preferences. We'll see. I'm looking forward to hearing them next week.
Hey mjm: did you ever post your thoughts on these? As a fellow ONP fan, I’m super curious about the comparison.

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #82 of 99
How do the Oriveti compare to the moondrop line? i've tried the O800 and O400 the mids of the O800 are tuned very well, forward, lush and vocals sounds real but i feel the sub bass and the treble needed some boosting for extra detail. O400 just sounds thin with less resolution compared to it. i love the intimacy it offers especially with vocal centric tracks compared to full size cans. With the new wireless dongles from shure and fiio i'm thinking of getting a IEM to replace my TWE around the $1k mark what do you guys recommend?
Based on my 0800, I think Oriveti's biggest character is that it doesn't have much color. It has nice balanced tuning, detail retrieval is good, comforting sound, etc. There is nothing that it does particularly well but it doesnt lack anything particular as well. For me, It is my go-to iem when I had stressful day and I dont want any more excitation and i just want soothing music. Just like your home cooked meal.

Every other brands such as moondrop has their colors somewhat. I think moondrops signature is in high mid and treble so that female vocal, especially female jpops, shine.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #83 of 99
Sharing my impressions which were posted in another thread. Thanks @F700 for arranging the tour!

Finally got around to properly trying the O400 and OV800 from Oriveti (on tour) - today is the first day where I feel the COVID fog has lifted from me!

The OV800 have 8 x BA and retail for $999. The come with a great selection of tips, to include Azla Xelastac. Also supplied with a very nice leather case. The cable is terminated with a 3.5mm jack, but Oriveti included an upgrade cable with modular jacks for 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.4mm.

The shells are really beautiful in appearance and touch - they sit comfortably in my ears, but even with a vent, I do note slight pressure build - this is an issue I tend to have with any all BA IEMs. They are a reasonably large shell but no issues with fit for me.

I would describe the sound from my listening session this afternoon as very smooth and balanced, nicely detailed, an airy stage with good width and reasonable depth - probably sit a bit more towards the technical end of the scale but still very musically engaging - too technical can kill it for me, and not the case here. They lean slightly warm, and have a very coherent presentation. I've tried a few genres today, to include male/female vocals, modern classical, ambient, and a few sub-genres of electronica. Exellent all-rounder with very good BA bass, nice clear and engaging mids with decent treble that has sufficient bite. This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - they sound like an all BA set - they remind me somewhat of the DUNU SA6, albeit with a bigger stage, this is from memory though as I sold the SA6 a few months ago. The presentation is very engaging with any genre, but I'm really enjoying ambient/modern classical in particular - the stage, layering, and imaging is excellent for genres with a lot of competing instruments, and they are rendered nicely, and incredibly captivating.

Early impressions, but I must say I really like these so far - I'll have to make sure I get a few more sessions with them before handing over to @armstrj2 when we meet next week. I plan to spend more time later this evening with the cheaper O400.

P1020445.jpg

May 7, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #85 of 99
I had the chance to try two Oriveti IEMs as part of the ongoing EU tour. Thanks to Oriveti and @F700 for facilitating & organising.

The O400 and OV800 are very similar in design and shape with the major difference being that there are tuning switches on the latter to allow you to adjust bass and treble response. Both sets come in similar packaging and with similar accessories.

Here are my impressions of both sets:

IMG-0897.jpg

O400
  • The shell has a high quality, semi-transparent finish which allows glimpses of the drivers within
  • Above-average build quality at its price point
  • For my ears, they are very easy to get a comfortable fit that stays in place with no adjustments needed. Very light.
  • Clean, non-fatiguing sound that is suitable for many genres
  • Smooth treble, no spikes or sibilance
  • Vocals are set back in the mix. Not an intimate presentation
  • Fast, linear bass with some hints of sub-bass with the right tracks
IMG-0895.jpg

OV800
  • Similar high quality fit and finish
  • A noticeable step up in sound quality and resolution when switching from the O400.
  • Detailed sound that is more suited to critical listening
  • Very linear sound with no parts of the frequency range stepping out of line
  • Unmistakable BA timbre
  • Considering the all BA configuration these are not sensitive at all and I actually found they came alive with more powerful sources.
  • The Treble switch added a little air but I found the sound was a little artificial as a result but it will come down to personal taste.
  • The bass switch allows a small increase in bass response which was a welcome addition for me having mainly dynamic driver based IEMs in my collection
  • Good left to right width in the soundstage with the sense of the music being presented in front of you.

Overall if you are a fan of BA timbre the O400 is a good entry point set with the OV800 being a natural progression if you want to step up the levels of detail and clarity. Thanks again to Oriveti for giving us the opportunity to try these sets. Not enough manufacturers run EU tours so they deserve recognition for that.

Attachments

• IMG-0898.jpg
    IMG-0898.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-0896.jpg
    IMG-0896.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #86 of 99
I've had enough time with both now to give an enduring opinion on both. First of all, thanks to @F700 and Oriveti for making this tour happen - I appreciate these are not easy to organise. In the UK I very rarely get to hear IEMs before buying so this was a welcome opportunity.

Oriveti O400

Tonality – subbass emphasis, neutral midrange with a well extended treble; W-shape

Bottom line:

A very adept and versatile tuning with good technicalities and a solid timbral accuracy for a BA. Excellent build quality and ultra-comfortable. Almost nothing to grumble at for the price.

The details:
  • First impressions are usually most telling for me. I was immediately impressed by the body and note weight to this all-BA set. Instruments are very organic with a natural attack and decay of bass strings and other instruments. The second thing to grab me was the stunning bass. Its well aerated, impactful, nuanced and doesn’t overly warm the midrange.
  • The midrange is close to my favourite Etymotic pinna gain and upper midrange never, ever offends and really encourages you to boost the volume to enjoy the bass (be careful).
  • The treble extends well and there’s plenty of detail to be enjoyed.
  • Technicalities-wise, the soundstage is intimate with reasonable depth but feels quite narrow laterally. Instrument separation is quite small but imaging is good. It doesn’t feel congested and manages complex tracks really well.
After a good few days listening I say with confidence that this is the most compelling all-BA below $500 that I’ve listened to and suits pretty much all genres. I can’t imagine anyone feeling short-changed at the current retail price – superb value for money.

Oriveti OV800

Tonality – midbass emphasis, neutral midrange, well extended treble; W-shape

Bottom line:

If you want a slightly warmer but clearly more detailed and spacious listen than the O400 this is it. The midrange and treble sound very similar to my ear and the tuning philosophy is consistent. My favourite switch position is 00 (bass switch off, treble switch off). The O800 reference. For me it doesn’t need one iota changing in its tune (some will disagree due to some subbass roll off) and the switches are somewhat redundant in my case.

The details:
  • First impressions moving from the O400 was of greater instrument separation and with a more spacious soundstage. Vocals are further back and generally the bigger picture of any composition is much easier to appreciate. The O400 is the party in an underground club and the OV800 is the suit and tie event where you’re at the centre of the auditorium.
  • Bass is competitive with the O400 but takes a different approach with greater midbass emphasis and more subbass roll off. A flick of the bass switch can compensate for this but you lose some detail and coherency in the tune.
  • The midrange is given plenty of room to breathe and has excellent depth with vocals and instruments that have more presence and detail than the O400. Due to a slighter brighter upper midrange than the O400 it emphasises some BA-timbre but it’s something I’m happy to accept.
  • The treble air is formidable and it complements the space and imaging that the OV800 really leans into.
  • Soundstage is wide, very deep and instrument separation and layering is excellent.
I have had moments with the OV800 that engaged me deep to my core. It seems very hard for some IEMs to present the bigger picture and engage at the same time - something that lies for me within a well-executed and positioned midrange. They assault you with the midrange at the expense of the listening perspective and the X-factor that you can derive from the music being greater than a sum of its parts. This is not the case here, the OV800 has achieved a perfect balance of midrange forwardness and positioning. Classical and choral music sounds spectacular for this reason. I was listening to Vox Clamantis, a Gregorian chant / choral group on their album Ieremias and even shed a tear (I rarely get emotional!). The space and air of OV800 brings the old church ruins and the echoing voices within to life. You can even appreciate water run-off falling off the walls and hitting the floor beyond the singers.

Final Word

Both the O400 and the OV800 are excellent IEMs, there’s no doubt. The O400 offers great value for money and is highly competitive. The OV800 for over double the cost is a harder sell but I do believe it justifies itself with its level of refinement, its ability to immerse and having executed such a fantastic midrange. Personally the OV800 (or the O800 without the switches, provided it sounds the same) is the one for me. In fact, I’m saving with the intention to purchase one as we speak!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #87 of 99
I've had enough time with both now to give an enduring opinion on both. First of all, thanks to @F700 and Oriveti for making this tour happen - I appreciate these are not easy to organise. In the UK I very rarely get to hear IEMs before buying so this was a welcome opportunity.

Oriveti O400

Tonality – subbass emphasis, neutral midrange with a well extended treble; W-shape

Bottom line:

A very adept and versatile tuning with good technicalities and a solid timbral accuracy for a BA. Excellent build quality and ultra-comfortable. Almost nothing to grumble at for the price.

The details:
  • First impressions are usually most telling for me. I was immediately impressed by the body and note weight to this all-BA set. Instruments are very organic with a natural attack and decay of bass strings and other instruments. The second thing to grab me was the stunning bass. Its well aerated, impactful, nuanced and doesn’t overly warm the midrange.
  • The midrange is close to my favourite Etymotic pinna gain and upper midrange never, ever offends and really encourages you to boost the volume to enjoy the bass (be careful).
  • The treble extends well and there’s plenty of detail to be enjoyed.
  • Technicalities-wise, the soundstage is intimate with reasonable depth but feels quite narrow laterally. Instrument separation is quite small but imaging is good. It doesn’t feel congested and manages complex tracks really well.
After a good few days listening I say with confidence that this is the most compelling all-BA below $500 that I’ve listened to and suits pretty much all genres. I can’t imagine anyone feeling short-changed at the current retail price – superb value for money.

Oriveti OV800

Tonality – midbass emphasis, neutral midrange, well extended treble; W-shape

Bottom line:

If you want a slightly warmer but clearly more detailed and spacious listen than the O400 this is it. The midrange and treble sound very similar to my ear and the tuning philosophy is consistent. My favourite switch position is 00 (bass switch off, treble switch off). The O800 reference. For me it doesn’t need one iota changing in its tune (some will disagree due to some subbass roll off) and the switches are somewhat redundant in my case.

The details:
  • First impressions moving from the O400 was of greater instrument separation and with a more spacious soundstage. Vocals are further back and generally the bigger picture of any composition is much easier to appreciate. The O400 is the party in an underground disco and the OV800 is the suit and tie event where you’re at the centre of the auditorium.
  • Bass is competitive with the O400 but takes a different approach with greater midbass emphasis and more subbass roll off. A flick of the bass switch can compensate for this but you lose some detail and coherency in the tune.
  • The midrange is given plenty of room to breathe and has excellent depth with vocals and instruments that have more presence and detail than the O400. Due to a slighter brighter upper midrange than the O400 it emphasises some BA-timbre but it’s something I’m happy to accept.
  • The treble air is formidable and it complements the space and imaging that the OV800 really leans into.
  • Soundstage is wide, very deep and instrument separation and layering is excellent.
I have had moments with the OV800 that engaged me deep to my core. It seems very hard for some IEMs to present the bigger picture and engage at the same time (something that lies for me within a well-executed and positioned midrange. They assault you with the midrange at the expense of the listening perspective and the X-factor that you can derive from the music being greater than a sum of its parts. This is not the case here, the OV800 has achieved a perfect balance of midrange forwardness and positioning. Classical and choral music sounds spectacular for this reason.

I was listening to Vox Clamantis, a Gregorian chant / choral group on their album Ieremias and even shed a tear (I rarely get emotional!). The space and air of OV800 brings the old church ruins and the echoing voices within to life. You can even appreciate water run-off falling off the walls and hitting the floor beyond the singers.

Final Word

Both the O400 and the OV800 are excellent IEMs, there’s no doubt. The O400 offers great value for money and is highly competitive. The OV800 for over double the cost is a harder sell but I do believe it justifies itself with its level of refinement, its ability to immerse and having executed such a fantastic midrange. Personally the OV800 (or the O800 without the switches, provided it sounds the same) is the one for me. In fact, I’m saving with the intention to purchase one as we speak!
Thanks for posting your impressions on both threads @ian91

This is front page material to me. Very genuine write-up.

The OV800 sound better with switches off, fully agree. I actually agree on most of what you said about both IEMs.

I hope you can get a pair of OV800 anytime soon.

Thanks again 🙏

May 11, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #88 of 99
Thanks for posting your impressions on both threads @ian91

This is front page material to me. Very genuine write-up.

The OV800 sound better with switches off, fully agree. I actually agree on most of what you said about both IEMs.

I hope you can get a pair of OV800 anytime soon.

Thanks again 🙏

Thank you for the kind words. It was (and still is) my pleasure to enjoy these IEMs. I'll be sending them onto @kmmbd in just over a week and I'm sure it won't be easy to say goodbye to the OV800, particularly.

May 11, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #89 of 99
Thank you for the kind words. It was (and still is) my pleasure to enjoy these IEMs. I'll be sending them onto @kmmbd in just over a week and I'm sure it won't be easy to say goodbye to the OV800, particularly.
The tour is going on as expected, thanks for keeping me posted 👍

Jun 2, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #90 of 99
Decided to measure the OV800 since I didn't find one around.

Green = neutral position
Blue = bass boost
Brown = treble boost
Red = bass + treble boost

1654210415423.png

I prefer the signature with bass boost on. It masks the 6kHz peak somewhat (I am sensitive in that area) and makes the OV800 sound smoother. With both switches on, the mids sounded recessed but there was added energy in tracks. The treble filter was a no-go for me, but those who like utmost detail should try the treble mode out.

Technically this is a very impressive IEM, can battle it out with anything under $1000 for sheer detail retrieval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back