Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jun 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,591 of 1,871
I have Jack’s number somewhere tried to reconnect on HeadFi, but can’t find his profile.

The Swimsuit Winner, sounds like an excellent trial marriage!
to quote Zorba the GreeK: married? is not a man stupid? wife, children, family the FULL CATASPHROPHE of life....
this quote was made into an award winning cognitive behavioral therapy featuring mindfullness meditation
at Harvard Medical School by dr David Zimblatt (?)/ i quote it my clients all the time! actually i never had any children with the swimsuit model, she was too busy being beautiful...

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,592 of 1,871
I have the Oriolus Mk. 2 in house along with the Campfire Solaris, soo far I find them completely. The Solaris like the Focal Utopia, music laid bare, but beautiful, and the Oriolus the HD650, The “ahhh Headphone.”

It's funny you mention this, because I had recently bought a sennheiser hd660s, as well as a PW no5 AND an Ares II cable. Going from the former to the later cable changes the traits of the Oriolus, because the Ares II reminded me of the 660s' slightly brighter but more accurate timbre. That said, I'm still and totally smitten of the SWEETER emotional draw of the mids on the PW no5.

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #1,593 of 1,871
Sorry, pardon my ignorance, what is PW No.5?

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #1,595 of 1,871
Sorry, pardon my ignorance, what is PW No.5?

An aftermarket alternative to the stock cable, very "copper" cable like and the weight on the mids really really adds depth to emotions/gravitas to vocals tracks. When I compare it to the Ares II cable, it's almost as if Audio Effects titled their copper cable with a bit of brightness via impedance change but you know what, I don't know squat I just hear things lol

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,597 of 1,871
Mistakenly thought I would prefer something a bit less warm/with more treble. Ending up being the wrong choice, and I stare at the reborn now with my finger hovering over the "purchase" button.

IMO, orioulus is still one of the top "fun" tuned hybrids on the market in 2019, and it surprises me that it doesn't get more love.

Go ahead and tap on the purchase button for Oriolus Reborn. It have many similarities of the FitEar TG334 if you are in high and mid signature. To me, TG334 still have the best mid for universal iem. Oriolus Reborn Low is so much better over TG334.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #1,598 of 1,871
Just tried the Percivali (for literally 2 minutes - have a flight to catch in 2 hours). Will definitely be coming back for a second listen.

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,600 of 1,871
What do you think of it? Is it their Totl line up?

I can’t exactly provide detailed listening impressions after trying it for 2 minutes (but literally. I got about half of Bohemian Rhapsody in before I had to run) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

However, my (early) initial impressions are very positive.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,601 of 1,871
Good for you. Is quite near to FitEar TG334 signature and a better pricing. Would suggest to have the cable upgrade after few months of burning in.

Rdgs

Thanks! Actually I have heard the Oriolus MK2 many times before, in headphone stores and meetings... I loved it for years but I have always resisted of buying one, because I already have two similar featured (and sounding) hybrid sets: Sirius and NC5 V2. I always thought it’s better to have a complementary set instead, my Andromedas. But after being offered a cheap Oriolus yesterday and listening to it again in direct comparison, I realized I definitely like it a little more than Andromeda...AND Sirius and NC5! So in a very spontaneous action I right away sold my Andromeda and bought it! Actually the Oriolus seems to be an almost perfect match to my personal preference in terms of sound signature. I still think the Andromeda has amazing details, but I always wasn’t 100% happy with its bass presentation. I guess this has to do a lot with it is BA bass. As we all know BA bass simply does not reach as deep and I feel with the Andromeda (and other comparable BA IEMs) it is tried to give it more weight and an extra punch by increasing the lower mids and upper bass tones. Which leads to, at least to my ears, a slightly muffled and „blown up“ sound in the mids and less separation between mids and bass. Which stands in contrast to the super detailed and airy highs of Andromeda. The Oriolus‘ subbass has a lot more „natural“ (not blown up) weight an authority and reaches way deeper. It’s true that it is softer and slower than Andromeda’s bass, but to me it just sounds more natural and definitely leaves more air between the transition of bass and mids. I am not sure if everyone perceives it like me, but having a little bit of air between bass and mids is something that I really like in earphones. In terms of highs and micro details I feel Oriolus is not exactly but almost on par with Andromeda. At least I can say it extends definitely further than Sirius and NC5. I never understood people who say Oriolus sounds rolled off. To my ears it sounds highly extended, just the weighty deep tones give it a slightly different treble presentation imo. So I guess Oriolus is right in the middle of what I was looking for in three different earphones :).

PS. Cable: Actually I bought it without cable (one reason why it was cheap) and currently use it with a Linsoul LSC09 cable, which seems to be a great match).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,602 of 1,871
Does anybody know release date of Percivali? And where have you listened to it?

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,603 of 1,871
Does anybody know release date of Percivali? And where have you listened to it?

Percivali is out in Japan, and it’s also available in very limited quantities at Oriolus’ Korean distributor.

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,604 of 1,871
I bought the Oriolus Oriolus secondhand in Japan recently, and added a PW5 to replace my ill-fitting XBA-Z5 - I am very happy with the fit and the sound and the PW5 has fulfilled my twisted copper cable fetish.
Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the general opinion of these original Oriolus were?

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #1,605 of 1,871
I bought the Oriolus Oriolus secondhand in Japan recently, and added a PW5 to replace my ill-fitting XBA-Z5 - I am very happy with the fit and the sound and the PW5 has fulfilled my twisted copper cable fetish.
Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the general opinion of these original Oriolus were?
MK1s were pretty similar to MK2s weren't they? Minus the PW5 cable.

Also, https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriolus-in-ear-monitors-v2.21608/reviews the Orioluses do seem fragile now that I looked it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back