Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jun 28, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #1,606 of 1,871
MK1s were pretty similar to MK2s weren't they? Minus the PW5 cable.

Also, https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriolus-in-ear-monitors-v2.21608/reviews the Orioluses do seem fragile now that I looked it up

The reviews in the link are for Mk2.
I once had a two hours listening session to compare Mk1 and Mk2 side by side. I can tell for sure their signature slightly differs. Mk 2 was a little more energetic with slightly more lifted treble and subbass. Mk1 was a little more relaxed. But not a big difference. Also, the shell and fit seemed to be slightly different (besides from also looking different)...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,607 of 1,871
The reviews in the link are for Mk2.
I once had a two hours listening session to compare Mk1 and Mk2 side by side. I can tell for sure their signature slightly differs. Mk 2 was a little more energetic with slightly more lifted treble and subbass. Mk1 was a little more relaxed. But not a big difference. Also, the shell and fit seemed to be slightly different (besides from also looking different)...

Ah, indeed. The MK2 was the ones with cracking issues. I was trying to dig it out the other day.
Never got to hear the MK1 myself. Sounds like an interesting tuning. Did you get to try it with a PW5 too?

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,608 of 1,871
Ah, indeed. The MK2 was the ones with cracking issues. I was trying to dig it out the other day.
Never got to hear the MK1 myself. Sounds like an interesting tuning. Did you get to try it with a PW5 too?

Yes, I tried both with the same cable - PW No.5 with 2,5 balanced plug. The cable has its quirks by the way. I used it for about 1,5 years (with another IEM) and it got stiffer and stiffer (a bit like the old IE800 cables). In the end handling was really bad and also the plug was loose. Could be better with newer versions of No.5 though....I bought mine used and it was one of the first when it came out. I am currently using a Linsoul LSC09 with my Oriolus and it feels and looks great, while being cheaper and sturdier. Don’t think I can tell the difference in sound compared to the PW No.5. It sounds great.
My Mk2 has no cracks so far and I agree with the reviewer from your link that it could also come from Japanese audiophiles treating their gear bad - I can confirm that...haha.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,609 of 1,871
Yes, I tried both with the same cable - PW No.5 with 2,5 balance plug. The cable has it’s quirks by the way. I used it for about 1,5 years (with another IEM) and it got stiffer and stiffer (a bit like the old IE800 cables). In the end handling was really bad and also the plug was loose. Could be better with newer versions of No.5 though, I bought mine used and it was one of the first when it came out. I am currently using a Linsoul LS-C09 with my Oriolus and it feels and looks great, while being cheaper and sturdier. Don’t think I can tell the difference to the sound with PW No.5. My Mk2 has no cracks so far and I agree with the reviewer from your link that it could also come from Japanese audiophiles treating their gesr bad - I can confirm that...haha.

Coming from E-earphone's used items, I thought Japanese audiophiles usually treat their stuff well. Lol. As for the Linsoul. is it a pure copper cable? Considering a cable for my CE-5

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,610 of 1,871
Yes, I tried both with the same cable - PW No.5 with 2,5 balance plug. The cable has it’s quirks by the way. I used it for about 1,5 years (with another IEM) and it got stiffer and stiffer (a bit like the old IE800 cables). In the end handling was really bad and also the plug was loose. Could be better with newer versions of No.5 though, I bought mine used and it was one of the first when it came out. I am currently using a Linsoul LS-C09 with my Oriolus and it feels and looks great, while being cheaper and sturdier. Don’t think I can tell the difference to the sound with PW No.5. My Mk2 has no cracks so far and I agree with the reviewer from your link that it could also come from Japanese audiophiles treating their gesr bad - I can confirm that...haha.

I had the loose plug issue as well before the cable broke.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,611 of 1,871
Coming from E-earphone's used items, I thought Japanese audiophiles usually treat their stuff well. Lol. As for the Linsoul. is it a pure copper cable? Considering a cable for my CE-5

Hehe...I am an E-Earphone addict, too - but they only buy and sell the well-treated stuff I guess :)
But if you watch people on the train in Tokyo you will see some treating their audiophile gear differently....

The cable is silver plated single copper! https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32984882841.html

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,612 of 1,871
I think because they have everything we could ever dream of easily available to them they probably don't have the same respect as we do for our gear.
When I was in Japan I saw on the news all the unclaimed lost property from the trains - there was a room full of some expensive items from latest phones, portable games consoles, audio gear and other items, even large amounts of cash, all unclaimed over the year.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,613 of 1,871
I think because they have everything we could ever dream of easily available to them they probably don't have the same respect as we do for our gear.
When I was in Japan I saw on the news all the unclaimed lost property from the trains - there was a room full of some expensive items from latest phones, portable games consoles, audio gear and other items, even large amounts of cash, all unclaimed over the year.
Daaaamn! To be fair it takes some time to travel to the lost and found center. But truthfully, most people are probably just having good faith of their items getting treated well at lost and found centers.

Hehe...I am an E-Earphone addict, too - but they only buy and sell the well-treated stuff I guess :)
But if you watch people on the train in Tokyo you will see many treating their audiophile gear differently....

The cable is silver plated single copper! https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32984882841.html
I was under the impression of having silver would make the sound a bit skewed towards the typical silver signature. I didn't see anything too bad on the trains in Tokyo though! But I did see some people using decent stuff compared to where I'm from. Aha

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,614 of 1,871
Daaaamn!
I was under the impression of having silver would make the sound a bit skewed towards the typical silver signature.

Well, as I wrote I can hardly hear any differences. If there are any, then yes, silver plated might sound slightly brighter. But since Oriolus generally is a warm sounding IEM that is a good thing imo, because it is complementary and gives it a bit more shimmer.

I didn't see anything too bad on the trains in Tokyo though! But I did see some people using decent stuff compared to where I'm from. Aha
Well, after living here for some years and getting in contact with other audiophiles you might see it. But I would not say it`s something that one could generalize too much. :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,615 of 1,871
The difference between the PW no5 and Ares II is too pretty obvious, the Ares being sonically brighter (I personally can't listen for no more than an hour). They must have some form of magic/witchcraft going on.

I'm also on my second PW cable, because I've mistakenly trampled on my Oriolus in the dark, and only the prong connection took the blow... phew...

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,616 of 1,871
Just came across this video that has a brief look at Percivali. I don’t remember seeing it in this thread. Around 3:10.

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,617 of 1,871
i was in Tokyo 3 weeks ago and I didn't see the Percivalli either. Sigh

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,618 of 1,871
Hello. I need an advice.

Source: lg g6 (quad dac ver.)
Iem: mk2
Cable: stock (not a pw one)
Wtb: mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$).
Music: female vocals, slow, darker tone. I'm sorry, not a musician, tried to describe as I could.

Question: which one and does it worth it? Mojo for 300 probably worth it in any way, but main thing is sound quality. Ignore the price.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,619 of 1,871
Hello. I need an advice.

Source: lg g6 (quad dac ver.)
Iem: mk2
Cable: stock (not a pw one)
Wtb: mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$).
Music: female vocals, slow, darker tone. I'm sorry, not a musician, tried to describe as I could.

Question: which one and does it worth it? Mojo for 300 probably worth it in any way, but main thing is sound quality. Ignore the price.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure if I understood your question correctly , but you want an advice which amp to use with your lg 6 and Oriolus?

Take the xdsd! It’s the most versatile solution. You can use Bluetooth on the go (sound quality is great for BT and it’s so convenient ) and usb connect for critical listening at home. You can basically connect to any device and let it sound great-imo that’s a huge advantage over a dap.
Sound quality wise these are all fine with only slight differences that are more about taste than objective „good“ or „bad“. So I‘d mainly think about usability:)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,620 of 1,871
Not sure if I understood your question correctly , but you want an advice which amp to use with your lg 6 and Oriolus?

Take the xdsd! It’s the most versatile solution. You can use Bluetooth on the go (sound quality is great for BT and it’s so convenient ) and usb connect for critical listening at home. You can basically connect to any device and let it sound great!
Sound quality wise these are all fine with only slight differences that are more about taste than objective „good“ or „bad“. So I‘d mainly think about usability:)
Yes, you understood me correctly. I don't really care about Bluetooth. I've read some people getting a noteable "hiss" on xdsd with "sensitive" iems. And if I got everything right, mk2 are "sensitive". Please, correct me if I'm misinformed.

Thank you for your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back