Oriolus Hybrid IEM
May 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,546 of 1,871
You can already buy it in Japan for 270 000 Yen, which is about 2500 Dollar.
Just had a brief 5 minutes listen, but it sounds super clear, detailed and extended, yet still very balanced. My first impression was it reminds me a bit of the higher end Noble sound....
Did you perhaps try the Mellianus too?

May 18, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #1,547 of 1,871
Did you perhaps try the Mellianus too?

Actually I did, but that is already about 6 months ago...not this time. From memory the direction of the sound is similar (more treble and detail focus than the original Oriolus), but it`s impossible for me to recall the differences in detail now. But if I have the chance to compare Mellianius and Percivali directly (maybe in a couple of weeks), for sure I will post it here! :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #1,548 of 1,871
Actually I did, but that is already about 6 months ago...not this time. From memory the direction of the sound is similar (more treble and detail focus than the original Oriolus), but it`s impossible for me to recall the differences in detail now. But if I have the chance to compare Mellianius and Percivali directly (maybe in a couple of weeks), for sure I will post it here! :)
Have you heard the HYLA line of iems? supposedly from same designers, but at an even higher level,lalst years was CE5, new ones are a bass and a hifi pro version, very limited editions...rave reviews showing up...

May 18, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #1,549 of 1,871
Have you heard the HYLA line of iems? supposedly from same designers, but at an even higher level,lalst years was CE5, new ones are a bass and a hifi pro version, very limited editions...rave reviews showing up...

Yes, I have also heard these (the good thing about living in Japan is, you can literally listen to ANY IEM available in headphone shops here), all three of them. My personal take on the HYLA series is, that they sound very impressive on the first listen, with incredible bass and extension, but after listening to them several times I found they all have something artificial in their tuning. At least to me. The Orioluses, especially the original version (still a big fan), Mellianius and Percivali do sound more natural and balanced to me, maybe due to their different tuning especially in the mids...compared to HYLA. Though, again, the original Oriolus sounds quite different to Mellianius and Percivali.
The third Oriolus sub brand, NERVA X, is different again. They sound a bit darker than the rest, but incredibly deep, full and rich - nothing you would expect from a multi BA driver. I actually loved these, too, in their own way!

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #1,550 of 1,871
Yes, I have also heard these (the good thing about living in Japan is, you can literally listen to ANY IEM available in headphone shops here), all three of them. My personal take on the HYLA series is, that they sound very impressive on the first listen, with incredible bass and extension, but after listening to them several times I found they all have something artificial in their tuning. At least to me. The Orioluses, especially the original version (still a big fan), Mellianius and Percivali do sound more natural and balanced to me, maybe due to their different tuning especially in the mids...compared to HYLA. Though, again, the original Oriolus sounds quite different to Mellianius and Percivali.
The third Oriolus sub brand, NERVA X, is different again. They sound a bit darker than the rest, but incredibly deep, full and rich - nothing you would expect from a multi BA driver. I actually loved these, too, in their own way!
Thanks for your quick reply Hanesu! i envy your access to actual hearing of these rare IEMs! i love my Oriolus MK2, especially with the recent score of a special cryo frozen Effect Audio EOS cable, of which only 20 were made, thats another story.
but even with the available Eros 2 cable they are lovely and very NATURAL sounding, and i lose myself in the music more than any other iem i have. the new IMR audio Zenith, v2 is close behind with an ARES 2 cable it sings with deep bass, clear mids and
sparkling highs. Bob is quite an audio designer and has two new models coming out this summer that look very promising with beryllium, ceramic and pizzoelectric hybrid construction. the Z is fabulous for EDM and hard rock, but the
Oriolous is a real all arounder....all the time. especially out of the Calyx M DAP which still has the best sound of any dap in my collection. anyway, please keep sharing your impressions as you get access to new species of IEMS in Japan!
im out in the desert in New Mexico, USA and have no good audio shops here at all specializing in headphones. MusicTeck.com in USA carries Oriolus and Hyla, but doesnt offer demos, but they are super good biz people also. im excited about the BGVP DM7 coming soon, but i really prefer dynamic drivers for the kind of music i listen to most.
I produce live concerts and house shows, so i apprciate your reference to NATURAL SOUND, cause thats what i am looking for also! i use music in healing work also, and having natural sounds works better in those applications
through good ampllifiers and sources. check out MOJO AUDIO for state of the art reference systems in the digital realm, my friend Ben Zweikel is the head engineer and mastermind of that company., and his stuff is the first better than vinyl
sources i have ever heard. he just won Best of Show at any price at the most recent four american audio festivals for his DACs, Power supplies and servers. anyway, thats my standard of excellence for sources., as well as the live shows.
stay in touch! cheers, drbluenewmexico.

May 24, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,551 of 1,871
Is the MK2 still a good purchase or should I be looking at penta or Solaris? I like all types of music

May 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,552 of 1,871
Is the MK2 still a good purchase or should I be looking at penta or Solaris? I like all types of music
Oriolus MK2 is my go to earphone for quality listening out of a Calyx M DAP> havent heard the other two, but MK2 is significantly less expensive i believe.
Aliexpress has a new version, a carbon black faceplate with an ebony wood housing, going for about 900$. Penonaudio.com has original resin MK2 i have, and upgrade Chinese version which is blue with very upgraded cable and much higher price.
seen no reviews on those editions, but i be they sounds excellent! consider Hyla iems also which are designed by same Japanese conglomerate and sold by Musicteck.com in very limited editions, gotten rave reviews.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,553 of 1,871

I love mine. I think they are one of the very best iems you can get.

May 25, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,554 of 1,871
Oriolus MK2 is my go to earphone for quality listening out of a Calyx M DAP> havent heard the other two, but MK2 is significantly less expensive i believe.
Aliexpress has a new version, a carbon black faceplate with an ebony wood housing, going for about 900$. Penonaudio.com has original resin MK2 i have, and upgrade Chinese version which is blue with very upgraded cable and much higher price.
seen no reviews on those editions, but i be they sounds excellent! consider Hyla iems also which are designed by same Japanese conglomerate and sold by Musicteck.com in very limited editions, gotten rave reviews.

not to mention people selling theirs second hand as well. hint hint

May 29, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,555 of 1,871
WeChat Image_20190529221048.jpg
61308557_10157426147134726_8940429946560446464_n (1).jpg

My New Adult Toy - Oriolus Reborn customs with Toxic Silver Widow cable and Ibasso DX220 DAP.
Previously using Fitear TG334 with Toxic Silver Widow cable and AK Kann DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back