Order by sound quality
Dec 11, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 67

Quote:
The Sansa clip is a normal sounding player. It doesn't do anything really wrong, but then again it doesn't do anything exceptionally well. I have a Fuze that is supposed to sound the same and the sound is pretty flat and non dynamic. I have tried other players that sound much better, such as the S:Flo2 and the QLS QA350. 

Anythingbutipod.com is a good site, but sometimes I want to start anythingbutsansa.com to counteract their sansa madness. They are irrationally crazy about the clip because it measure flat on some test. Guess what? it sounds flat as well, and not in a good way. The clip has its place as an ultra portable cheap player that sounds decent, but decent is not anywhere near good. 

I'm also inclined to agree that both the 5.5G iPod and 3GS especially have far better clarity. The Fuze is quite neutral, but the sound reproduction is relatively mushy. Rockbox only really fixes the sound signature if you don't like flat. You can't fix the lack of clarity though.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 67
I'll list the players I own (From worst to best).

Ipod Touch > Ipod Classic > Clip+ (Rockboxed) > HM-601 (Puts all previous to shame).

I can't help but disagree with GeorgeGoodman regarding the Clip+.
Bang for buck is incredible, its ultra portable, and sounds great.
There are better sounding DAP's out there but the amazing cost to SQ ratio gets it over the line every time.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 67
A clip+ + 8gb costs less than a magical interconnect. It doesn't do anything wrong so there's very little reason to upgrade. If the fuze suits your lifestyle, get one and don't think about it any more. Portable rigs are always going to be the worst bang/buck, so you need the best phones because they will be the ones making the difference. If you have a ton of money to blow on a portable rig then you probably don't care about value anyway.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #21 of 67

Quote:
Quote:
The Sansa clip is a normal sounding player. It doesn't do anything really wrong, but then again it doesn't do anything exceptionally well. I have a Fuze that is supposed to sound the same and the sound is pretty flat and non dynamic. I have tried other players that sound much better, such as the S:Flo2 and the QLS QA350. 

Anythingbutipod.com is a good site, but sometimes I want to start anythingbutsansa.com to counteract their sansa madness. They are irrationally crazy about the clip because it measure flat on some test. Guess what? it sounds flat as well, and not in a good way. The clip has its place as an ultra portable cheap player that sounds decent, but decent is not anywhere near good. 

I'm also inclined to agree that both the 5.5G iPod and 3GS especially have far better clarity. The Fuze is quite neutral, but the sound reproduction is relatively mushy. Rockbox only really fixes the sound signature if you don't like flat. You can't fix the lack of clarity though.

This is definitely true.

The Clip+ does have great value. I have the Fuze, and I am sure the line out sounds very good. There are players that sound better, but the Fuze and the Clip remain good values. The HM-601 supposedly sounds a lot better, but it is $259.  There is a definite lack of return on investment in a lot of portable players.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 67
Sony A828 (with service menu dac mod) >>> Sansa Clip+ (rockboxed) >>> iPod Touch 2G

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #25 of 67
I haven't owned all of the players listed, but based on reputation I'm pretty certain that the J3 and S9 are the best there.

For what it's worth, here's my list from best to worst: Cowon J3->Zune HD->iPod Touch 3rd Gen->iPod Nano (older, not sure of the gen)->Creative Zen

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #26 of 67

Quote:
I'm looking for replacement for my iPod Nano gen.1. It's nothing wrong with it it's just that I have huge collection of music in FLAC and don't want to convert all music just that I can play on Nano. Plus it's only 2GB.
So I was looking around and thinking to buy Sansa Fuze/Clip+. Will I downgrade in terms of SQ? I don't want cheap crap player, I want decent sounding one. Or maybe Cube C30/its derivates?
Also is S:Flo2 small enough so that I can take it on jogging?

Being guilty of it myself, far be it from me to discourage the rampant consumerism that is widespread on this board 
etysmile.gif
, but did you know you can rockbox your Nano and it will play FLAC quite well?  I was quite suprised learning this myself last week, but I rockbox'ed my own Nano gen 2 (took 30 minutes!), and it works like a charm with FLAC, ogg or whatever now.

Pretty easy to do, too--download the rockbox utility, tell it what kind of player you have, and just follow the prompts.

http://www.rockbox.org

You'd probably get to know this site quite well if you decide to get a sansa.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #27 of 67
I have recently gone from using a Sansa Clip with FLACs to using a Sony PCM-M10 Linear PCM Recorder (a.k.a. a flash deck) as my source. Adorama (via the Amazon Marketplace) is currently selling them for $199.00 and it comes with an AC adapter, Sound Forge LE software, a wired remote control - useful only when recording, and two AA alkalines.

Michael Hedges Aerial Boundries has been unleashed in the PCM-M10 - with detail, punch, and sounstage that's lacking in the Clip. I'm using Shure SE530s - these are very efficient, so its not as if the Clip was trying to drive some 600-Ohm Beyers.

As a DAP, the PCM-M10 is sweet looking, but aside from being bulky (about four times as thick and heavy as an iPod Touch), its UI is dismal - having none of the features we take for granted with most DAPs - and it only supports WAV and MP3 formats, with a maximum capacity of 20 GB (4 GB internal + 16 GB microSDHC or Sony M2 cards) - but the SQ is undeniably and immediately obvious to someone who has been using a Sansa Clip with Shure SE530s.

And that's just with 44.1 Khz / 24-bit WAV files (having decompressed some of the FLACs formerly supplied to my clip) played straight to the same cans, using the PCM-100's internal amp. But this critter can both record and play high rez WAV files as dense as 96 Khz / 24-bit. I have downloaded several 96/24 FLACs from www.hdtracks.com, including their latest offering, Steely Dan - Guacho. I decompressed these 96/24 FLACS to both 96/24 WAVs and to lower rez 44.1/16 WAVs using dbPoweramp, then transferred them to the PCM-M10.

Wow! A portable solution for playing 96/24 content - its awesome. I can't say I can appreciate any difference in dynamic range when comparing 24-bit to 16-bit, but I am definitely hearing the higher resolution of 96 Khz vs. 44.1. It's wonderfully crisp in my SE530s.

I have to mention that the PCM-M10's headphone jack can be reprogrammed, via the Detail Menu - Audio Out setting, to supply Line Out to that jack. As much as I'm reluctant to diminish in any way my praise of this recorder's internal amp, using its lineout to a Meier Audio Corda Stepdance is a wonderful experience. Both amps are neutral and uncolored, but the Stepdance has more power (headroom) and sounds all the more analytical. Both amps are unforgiving of poor recordings. That is perhaps the greatest strength of the Clip - its so easy going, albeit lackluster.

Amazon is currently selling the Sony PCM-M10 for $199.00 - I see this as a great value, considering what it can do.

Mike
Mike

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #28 of 67
for what it's worth, in order of preference:

- Sony X1050 with LOD (sold it after a few months because of it's battery life though)
- Cowon Iaudio X5L Rockboxed
- Sansa Clip/ Sansa Fuze Rockboxed
- Ipod photo Rockboxed
- Ipod Nano 4g
- Creative Zen Micro
- Ipod Shuffle 1g

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #29 of 67
My ranking based on what I have owned and heard (best to worst)

Cowon J3

ipod Touch 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

Ipod Classic

Ipod Nano 5

I'll be honest for the ipod line they were more or less indistinguishable with the newer ones being slightly better, but the J3 is far and away better in terms of sound quality (for me). I didn't hear them rockboxed or with an amp

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 67

Quote:

The problem with that is those players are $200+ players. If your paitient or dont mind a refurb or used you can get a clip+ for 30 dollars.

Quote:
Source is the most fickle part of an audio rig. There is never 1 source that is good in everything for sure. I know this coz I've had my fair share of DAPs. I can surmise the following:

iPods - they are OK sounding players. The iPod 5G is probably the best sounding one I've heard, plus you can use Rockbox on it. Still, I do find that I need to amp the iPods to get a decent sound. 

clip+ - After having only iPods, the clip+ was a big surprise. Much better sound quality from a much smaller player. Unfortunately the poor battery life and small screen and size really killed it for me. 

s:flo2 - Bad customer service aside, the s:flo2 sounded excellent. It deserves the praise it gets for its SQ for sure. However for me, SQ isn't everything, and eventually the really bad UI and awkward shape made it a bad package overall. 

Fuze - Currently using and so far it's the best. Good battery, easy navigation, Rockbox. Don't underestimate the Rockbox impact. Coupled with the Fuze's amp, it pretty much nullifies the need to use an amp for me. I've tried iBasso D12, P4, D4, Cordas, everything short of RSAs, and find that there is very minimal gain using an amp. I think a lot of people can atest to this, judging by a good number of Fuze rigs here without amps. 

So yeah, I don't feel the Sansas are overrated. They are definitely bang for buck, and then some more. Maybe Cowons or the s:flo2 may sound better, but they all have their own problems. After the nightmare that is mp4nation customer service, I'm inclined NOT to spend too much on a source anymore. :)

So you say the Fuze had a different amp than the Clip? I was under the impression that they were the same.

I guess the real question, even though this may be getting a but OT, is there a player in the same price range that can compare to the Clip?

I mean really when someone bring up players that sound better than the clip/fuze theyre always the expensive ones. Theres gotta be something to be said about that.

I havent heard a clip, but I did get one for my GF for X-mas and Ill take a listen to it before I give it to her, because im gonna rockbox it too. Im interested to see how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back