OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming
Apr 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #76 of 533
Burrbrown has a very meaty tonal body in my experiences, and I do like it too :D. Both BB and AK DAC are very close in timbres, and detailed freak people would always love ESS Sabres. Both BB and Sabres are very hard to implement, BB can easily be overly warmth and ESS can easily be overly bright....and AK is the friendly folk :D....that is just my own opinion though. We will see how the Opus #3 turn out to be
Cowon P1.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #77 of 533
Day #2

Definitely prefer the X-MOS seting as it seems to give more low end. Not extra just what should be in the master.

Def Leppard  - Photograph
Vocals and guitar sound sound crisp and clear. Distortion on guitar is all there.

Pink Floyd - Us and Them
Sounds like the COZOY Aegis. great highs with an almost thin mid and not much low end.

Allman Brothers - Mellisa

This is where the problem is clear. No EQ and this track has a bassist with a slow and clear line in the background. What is usually a track that is mostly a steel guitar or a guitar with a slider on the guitarist finger with the vocalist front and center and the bassist merely pinning down the rhythm is almost not there.

Day 2 s better than day 1 but the sonics are becoming more clear. This is definitelt going to appeal to the DX200 and FiiO X7 (stock amp) crowd.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #79 of 533
Yeah, let it burn in. My Opus 2 needed around 120-150 hours or roughly a week. Definitely use Xmos

The power of suggestion and parroting of opinions is a huge issue on this site and in this hobby.

The sound impressions are all nearly worthless as the variables of hearing ability,headgear, genre, listening levels makes this all an exercise in creative bullshiiii. Lets be real.

I think the plastic back was not a good idea and the streaming app has really no escape on this firmware. You have to back out of it through settings so that is a pain in the aaa.  AFAIK the #2 was released end of last Summer and still has no streaming so FW updates are not very quick. If this was iBasso or FiiO I would assume a quick fix but as is the streaming in and out is a bit ....um....needs work :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #82 of 533

Yeah, let it burn in. My Opus 2 needed around 120-150 hours or roughly a week. Definitely use Xmos

The power of suggestion and parroting of opinions is a huge issue on this site and in this hobby.

The sound impressions are all nearly worthless as the variables of hearing ability,headgear, genre, listening levels makes this all an exercise in creative bullshiiii. Lets be real.

I think the plastic back was not a good idea and the streaming app has really no escape on this firmware. You have to back out of it through settings so that is a pain in the aaa.  AFAIK the #2 was released end of last Summer and still has no streaming so FW updates are not very quick. If this was iBasso or FiiO I would assume a quick fix but as is the streaming in and out is a bit ....um....needs work :)

I don't have the email in front of me, theBit sent it this morning (though #3 will be arriving for review early next week), and I hope you received it too.  In that emails they had instructions how to do a clean exit from Spotify, if I recall it correctly.  I think when you go back to the menu where you start Spotify from, there should be a way to stop it?  Can you double check?

Regarding #2, yeah, at CanJam NYC they told me they will get streaming solution working in #3 first and then will implement it in #2.  theBit already announced that Opus#2 fw update with a streaming solution coming very soon, assuming exactly the same implementation as in #3.

Since I had a very brief listening to #3 prototype, I didn't even pay attention to the sound since i knew it will be changed.  Now, reading your impression of #3 and how it's tuned closer to neutral reference sig of dx200 and X7, makes me curious.  Btw, I started testing Plenue 2, and their sound sig (despite AKM dac) also changed to a neutral reference sound, very similar to LPG.  I don't think we can predict sound sig of the dap based on manufacturer selection of DAC anymore, and it sounds like DACs digital filters and internal amplifier tweaking now dictates the final sound.

Regarding plastic back of #3, wonder if this is done intentionally not to block wifi antenna, though they could have done only a partial plastic vs metal.  I guess will check it out once it arrives.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #83 of 533

Found that email, I guess that's an extra step you have to take every time you want a clean exit.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #84 of 533

Day #3. My brain is burning in a bit
tongue.gif

Now, reading your impression of #3 and how it's tuned closer to neutral reference sig of dx200 and X7, makes me curious.  Btw, I started testing Plenue 2, and their sound sig (despite AKM dac) also changed to a neutral reference sound,

Yeah, I have heard the Plenue 2. There is a migration towards stone cold neutral. I prefer the A&K sound with the AK dacs with the silk sound instruction set in the chip. Smooth but detail rich. This is all about the filters though like you said. Telling/predicting a DAP sig on its DAC choice is pretty much pointless now. The filters can create smooth or analytical base sound sig all by themselves.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #85 of 533

I don't think we can predict sound sig of the dap based on manufacturer selection of DAC anymore, and it sounds like DACs digital filters and internal amplifier tweaking now dictates the final sound.

Interesting. It was always possible to identify which DAC is used: sabre, burr-brown, AKM

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #87 of 533
  Interesting. It was always possible to identify which DAC is used: sabre, burr-brown, AKM

They can do pretty amazing things with filters nowadays.

My cards were formatted in the X5iii then later put into the OPUS #3. I'd have to check the format protocol of the X5iii. The OPUS #3 manual makes no mention of the standard(s) they use

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #88 of 533
Thanks. I’m seriously considering this DAP. My the only concern is its optical output.  Hope it is as good as the usb audio of Pioneer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back